Windows 10. Horrible!

Old November 14th 17, 03:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Windows 10. Horrible!

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 19:27:22 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Calculators are loaded with programs at the MF plant...

I have a HP15c in a drawer. It used to be a 41 but that one got lost.
Neither is/was computer...

The HP 41 most definitely was a computer.

yep, although a very limited one.

I programmed and used one
for years to do all kinds of useful things. I particularly liked its
built in routine for solving equations with Newton's method.

i had one as well. still do, in fact. i particularly liked the circuit
analysis module.

I never had cause to use it.

did you have the ppc chip? now *that* made for some very cool
programming...

Nope. That wasn't my line.

For much of that time I was working on heavily loaded mechanical
linkages where the equations had 'theta' both inside and outside
trigonometrical equations. That's where Newtons method came in handy.
It was slow compared with a real computer but I could take the whole
machine (including printer) home inside my briefcase.

Eric Stevens
Old November 14th 17, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

The HP 41 most definitely was a computer.

yep, although a very limited one.

I programmed and used one
for years to do all kinds of useful things. I particularly liked its
built in routine for solving equations with Newton's method.

i had one as well. still do, in fact. i particularly liked the circuit
analysis module.

I never had cause to use it.

i did. although it was slow, it was incredibly useful, especially to
see if it got the same answers i did.

did you have the ppc chip? now *that* made for some very cool
programming...

Nope. That wasn't my line.

do you even know what the ppc chip did?

For much of that time I was working on heavily loaded mechanical
linkages where the equations had 'theta' both inside and outside
trigonometrical equations. That's where Newtons method came in handy.
It was slow compared with a real computer but I could take the whole
machine (including printer) home inside my briefcase.

i'll take that as a 'no, i don't know what the ppc chip did'.
Old November 14th 17, 07:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 22:52:03 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

I know of it but that came after I got access to a proper computer:
first a Cromemco and then a AT&T 3B2-400.

Eric Stevens
Old November 14th 17, 11:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

did you have the ppc chip? now *that* made for some very cool
programming...

Nope. That wasn't my line.

do you even know what the ppc chip did?

For much of that time I was working on heavily loaded mechanical
linkages where the equations had 'theta' both inside and outside
trigonometrical equations. That's where Newtons method came in handy.
It was slow compared with a real computer but I could take the whole
machine (including printer) home inside my briefcase.

i'll take that as a 'no, i don't know what the ppc chip did'.

I know of it but that came after I got access to a proper computer:
first a Cromemco and then a AT&T 3B2-400.

one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
Old November 14th 17, 12:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

A sexton is not an electronic programable, by factory or user device.

It's a device for findign your location on the earth.

it should work on other planets.
Old November 15th 17, 12:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 06:56:18 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

did you have the ppc chip? now *that* made for some very cool
programming...

Nope. That wasn't my line.

do you even know what the ppc chip did?

For much of that time I was working on heavily loaded mechanical
linkages where the equations had 'theta' both inside and outside
trigonometrical equations. That's where Newtons method came in handy.
It was slow compared with a real computer but I could take the whole
machine (including printer) home inside my briefcase.

i'll take that as a 'no, i don't know what the ppc chip did'.

I know of it but that came after I got access to a proper computer:
first a Cromemco and then a AT&T 3B2-400.

one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Why on earth should I have needed a PPC chip?

Eric Stevens
Old November 15th 17, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

did you have the ppc chip? now *that* made for some very cool
programming...

Nope. That wasn't my line.

do you even know what the ppc chip did?

For much of that time I was working on heavily loaded mechanical
linkages where the equations had 'theta' both inside and outside
trigonometrical equations. That's where Newtons method came in handy.
It was slow compared with a real computer but I could take the whole
machine (including printer) home inside my briefcase.

i'll take that as a 'no, i don't know what the ppc chip did'.

I know of it but that came after I got access to a proper computer:
first a Cromemco and then a AT&T 3B2-400.

one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Why on earth should I have needed a PPC chip?

to do things you otherwise could not have done. duh.

you obviously are *not* familiar with it. you could have just said
that.
Old November 15th 17, 07:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 19:43:40 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

I know *of* it but have never felt the need to become familiar with
it. You also have to remember that this was in the days before the
Internet and the propagation of information was miniscule by today's
standards.

Eric Stevens
Old November 15th 17, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Why on earth should I have needed a PPC chip?

to do things you otherwise could not have done. duh.

you obviously are *not* familiar with it. you could have just said
that.

I know *of* it but have never felt the need to become familiar with
it.

exactly as i said, you're not familiar with it.

You also have to remember that this was in the days before the
Internet and the propagation of information was miniscule by today's
standards.

compared to today, perhaps, but information did propagate.

you even heard of it.
Old November 15th 17, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 13 November 2017 17:02:40 UTC, android wrote:
In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 13 November 2017 16:50:30 UTC, android wrote:
In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 13 November 2017 15:46:10 UTC, android wrote:
In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article
,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Macs are PCs...

Not for this decusion, but then again why can;t a phone or
tablet
be
called
personal computer ?

it can, and is.

no it can't. they are devices

you're talking crap they are all devices.

A computer can do the job of a device but not the other way around.

Talking crap.

Oki...

Do you have any idea what a device is ?
A device such as a sexton can tell you where stars and planets are at X
time
so can a computer.

A sexton is not an electronic programable, by factory or user device.

It's a device for findign your location on the earth.

You would need a chronometer and some tables too for doing that. An old
HP could replace the latter, properly programed...

because they are computers and far more personal than the
average
desk
top.

yep.

they are not computers in the traditional sense more than, let's
say a
pocket calculator...

a computer has to be programble in some way a calculator is NOT but
you
get
programable calculators.

Calculators are loaded with programs at the MF plant...

a slide rule is a calculator it is NOT loaded with programs.

A slid rule is not an electronic pocket calculator.

I didn't say it was electronic did I. But it is a calculating device so was
the disc and wheel integrator.
Calculators do NOT have to run on voltage either.

I used sliderules on a daily basis in junior high since calculators
weren't allowed on tests, so I let them be. In senior electronic devices
were allowed and I had a few... I would not compare a sliderule with
devices like them hp11 or sr56...

http://www.datamath.org/Sci/WEDGE/sr-56.htm
--
teleportation kills