Olympus E-1 Digital

Old August 16th 04, 08:27 AM
Tony Spadaro

It means Steve's camera has one in stock they would like to get rid of.
THE Olympus is too little too late for too much money. The sensor is half
the area of 35mm film in a industry where APS size or larger is now standard
for SLRs. IT is more expensive than other cameras with bigger sensors and
FULL lines of lenses available. Don't buy a dead end.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Clyde Torres" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone here have any experience with the Olympus E-1 camera with the

14-54mm
f2.8 lens? A guy had one running around taking pictures of the

devastation
of Hurricane Charley in Orlando and said it was the best digital camera
made. I looked at it briefly and decided that it might be as good or
slightly better than my Nikon D70. Is this just envy on my part or is the
Olympus E-1 really that much better? Steve's Camera says it is the first
100% all-digital interchangeable lens SLR system, whatever that means.

Clyde Torres

Old August 16th 04, 08:42 AM
Hans H. Siegrist

"Clyde Torres" wrote in message ...
Anyone here have any experience with the Olympus E-1 camera with the 14-54mm
f2.8 lens? A guy had one running around taking pictures of the devastation
of Hurricane Charley in Orlando and said it was the best digital camera
made. I looked at it briefly and decided that it might be as good or
slightly better than my Nikon D70. Is this just envy on my part or is the
Olympus E-1 really that much better? Steve's Camera says it is the first
100% all-digital interchangeable lens SLR system, whatever that means.

Clyde Torres

Have a look at the Oly SLR forum on www.dpreview.com.

Cheers!

Hans

Old August 16th 04, 09:16 AM
Robert Meyers

"Clyde Torres" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone here have any experience with the Olympus E-1 camera with the

14-54mm
f2.8 lens? A guy had one running around taking pictures of the

devastation
of Hurricane Charley in Orlando and said it was the best digital camera
made. I looked at it briefly and decided that it might be as good or
slightly better than my Nikon D70. Is this just envy on my part or is the
Olympus E-1 really that much better? Steve's Camera says it is the first
100% all-digital interchangeable lens SLR system, whatever that means.

This is a love hate camera. I have noted that people who were stung by an
old film change hate it. Others, who give it a chance love it. For what it
is, it is about the cheapest thing you can buy. It is a pro designed
camera. Nothing in the price range competes. The images are top rate, but
there are some issues with ISO over 800. However here is where you get some
interesting exceptions. In a lot of ways it is like shooting NPZ where as
you are shooting basic 800 speed whatever with other DSLRs on the market.
The thing picks out an extra stop worth of data from the shadows, unlike
others. So... like NPZ, treat it's 800 as 1600, and you will be happy.
Also, noise reduction software makes 3200 speed useable without a problem.

As for lens line up? I have 8 lenses in my bag for it, using 2 adapters.
No problem. Shoot what you want. Oh, and two more bodies are on the way,
as are more lenses.

Lastly, 5 MP vs, 6 or 8. I crop and get very nice 12 x 18 prints. I don't
need more, so never tried. Pretty much the end all for me.

Good luck!

Old August 16th 04, 12:13 PM
Darrell Larose

"Steven Wandy" wrote in message
.. .
I have been using the E-1 since around September (upgrade from the E-10).
I won't compare it to your Nikon - no experience with Nikon digitals

except
the
5700 - but I love the E-1. Good feel, easy controls, very little
post-processing needed,
great quality lenses (not discussing the prices of them). Overall very

happy
with it.

The reason Steve's makes an issue of the "all-digital" SLR camera is that
all the other DSLR's (atleast the ones I know of) use lenses that were
designed for their film cameras.
Supposedly - again I don't have any of the others to make a direct
comparison - since the lenses for the E-1 were designed for its CCD

sensor,
it gives you a sharper image from edge to edge. Again, I can't compare to
other DSLRs, but I am very happy with the E-1.
From what I have read many pros are very happy using it but they mainly
shoot weddings/portraits/studio/etc. I would guess that most
news/sports/etc. photographers are sticking with Canon and Nikon because

of
their faster shooting speeds and especially with the Canon IS lenses.

Oddly enough there is an adapter to mount Olympus Zuiko (OM series) lenses
on the E1. After raving about how superior the 4/3 system is.

Old August 16th 04, 12:15 PM
Darrell Larose

"Tony Spadaro" wrote in message
r.com...
It means Steve's camera has one in stock they would like to get rid

of.
THE Olympus is too little too late for too much money. The sensor is half
the area of 35mm film in a industry where APS size or larger is now

standard
for SLRs. IT is more expensive than other cameras with bigger sensors and
FULL lines of lenses available. Don't buy a dead end.

Kodak was the prime mover of the 4/3 system, as they were for the APS film
system. Kodak is not the company that should spearhead any new series.