[SI] Mandate date change; now due Sept 12, 2011.

Old August 5th 11, 02:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

Default [SI] Mandate date change; now due Sept 12, 2011.

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 09:42:08 -0400, Bowser wrote:
: On 8/4/2011 10:18 PM, tony cooper wrote:
: On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:32:40 -0400, wrote:
:
: Due to thousands of requests, the SI dictator has agreed to push the
: date back a week to accommodate the holiday (in the US, anyway) weekend.
: The new due date for the Dawn or Dusk mandate is September 12, 2011.
:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn
:
: The Shoot-In is a monthly gallery created by those who choose to
: participate. No prized, points, or anything else but a few comments.
: Give it a shot!
:
: For more info:
:
: http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
:
: If you're going to go around accommodating people, please allow photos
: taken between 10:00AM and 6:00PM. I really don't like getting up
: early, and the heavy rains have brought out the mosquitos in the late
: afternoon.
:
:
: If you can work in some dawn or dusk shots during those hours, be my
: guest. I guess you live way up north or way down south.

That would have to be "way down south". This time of year, those way up north
will have a bigger problem than Tony has. Surely you've heard of the "Land of
the Midnight Sun". ;^)

Bob
Old August 5th 11, 03:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 8/4/2011 10:18 PM, tony cooper wrote:
On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 19:32:40 -0400, wrote:

Due to thousands of requests, the SI dictator has agreed to push the
date back a week to accommodate the holiday (in the US, anyway) weekend.
The new due date for the Dawn or Dusk mandate is September 12, 2011.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn

The Shoot-In is a monthly gallery created by those who choose to
participate. No prized, points, or anything else but a few comments.
Give it a shot!

For more info:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

If you're going to go around accommodating people, please allow photos
taken between 10:00AM and 6:00PM. I really don't like getting up
early, and the heavy rains have brought out the mosquitos in the late
afternoon.

A sheet of Bounce works for me as an insect repellant, for a limited time.

--
Peter
Old August 5th 11, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 10:36:39 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

[...]

It's a bit different for me. I am highly reactive to insect bites. A
mosquito bite in a soft tissue area swells to the size of a large
marble that lasts for almost a week. I have one like that on the back
of my thigh now. Hourly applications of Benadryl Gel help.

If my wife is bitten, she gets a red spot that goes away in a day or
two.

Insect repellents don't seem to do me much good.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old August 5th 11, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

wrote:

[...]

That's a real problem where you live.

If my wife is bitten, she gets a red spot that goes away in a day or
two.

My wife is very sensitive to bites. With her it's not "if," it's "when."

Insect repellents don't seem to do me much good.

A Bounce dryer sheet is one of those things that may be like chicken
soup. Not sure it always works, but it can't hurt.

--
Peter
Old August 5th 11, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Antihistamines like Benadryl seldom work well after the fact. They can
also cause tissue sensitizing problems leading to problematic reactions.
It seems you need a topical anti-inflammatory steroid ointment/cream
such as betamethasone or triamcinolone, or even a steroid/cortisone
shot, or tablets.

If my wife is bitten, she gets a red spot that goes away in a day or
two.

Insect repellents don't seem to do me much good.

Savageduck

Old August 5th 11, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Allen[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I have a very weird story. All my life I was chewed up and spit out by
mosquitoes, until...
One example: my high school band had a five-day campout on a river just
before school started. The one before my junior year I counted over 100
bites on one hand! I was also troubled by several allergies, so during
that school year I spent several weeks getting shots in both arms for
various allergies, to the point that I couldn't lift my arms above the
shoulders without considerable pain. After the course of shots I have
continued to sneeze, wheeze and cough upon exposure to any of the things
the shots were supposed to help. But--I have not had a visible mosquito
bite in the 66 years since, including at band camp the next year.
Believe me, that made the shots worthwhile. Strange.
Allen
Old August 5th 11, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

wrote:

[...]

I can only tell you what works by experience...long experience in this
case. Benadryl Gel (a topical) eases the discomfort if applied
hourly. When the bite is in an area where there is little soft
tissue, it doesn't seem to help as much as when the bite is in an area
of soft tissue.

A bite on the front lower leg is not as painful and doesn't swell as
much. Benadryl Gel doesn't help that much. A bite on the back of the
lower leg swells, but Benadryl Gel helps. The little *******s always
get me in the soft tissue areas, though.

Worst place is bites on the hand or fingers. Just enough soft tissue
to cause swelling, and - for some reason - the most painful. Face is
bad, too.

Fire ant bites require a trip to the doctor and a shot. Fire Coral
(touched when diving) requires multiple shots. If stung by a wasp,
hornet, or bee, I'd head for the ER and sit in the parking lot. I've
been warned that anaphylactic shock may occur, but it's never
happened.

We have an anaphylactic shock kit around the house somewhere. My wife
(a B.S.N.) knows where it is. I hope she's home if I get stung by
something major.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old August 7th 11, 05:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

wrote:

[...]

I often get nothing, maybe a 2-day red spot. Poison oak doesn't even
bother me evil grin.

Insect repellents don't seem to do me much good.

Old August 19th 11, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-08-05 08:10:26 -0700, tony cooper
said:

Savageduck wrote:

edited for brevity

A sheet of Bounce works for me as an insect repellant, for a limited
time.

It's a bit different for me. I am highly reactive to insect bites. A
mosquito bite in a soft tissue area swells to the size of a large marble
that lasts for almost a week. I have one like that on the back of my
thigh now. Hourly applications of Benadryl Gel help.

Antihistamines like Benadryl seldom work well after the fact. They can
also cause tissue sensitizing problems leading to problematic reactions.
It seems you need a topical anti-inflammatory steroid ointment/cream
such as betamethasone or triamcinolone, or even a steroid/cortisone
shot, or tablets.

edited

Did they teach you all of that medical stuff, at the police academy?

I had a life in another industry before Law enforcement came along. I
am 62 and I had a 25 year LE career with California.
My formal education was in physics, chemistry, pharmacology, anatomy &
physiology, toxicology, and microbiology. All of those disciplines
served me well in what I was tasked with in LE.
I am very familiar with several of the New Jersey pharmaceutical &
chemical giants, particularly Schering-Plough, Cyanamid, & Lederle
Laboratories.

Schering is a major antihistamine developer (Claritin, Clarinex), and
anti-inflamatory steroids.

Savageduck