More shooter harassment

Old July 19th 11, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

Default More shooter harassment

On 7/19/11 4:39 PM, in article
, "Bowser"
wrote:

On 7/19/2011 2:58 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 7/19/2011 12:56 PM, Bowser wrote:
OK, my turn. I was on Martha's Vineyard (MA, USA) for a bit, and while
there I stopped to shoot a picture of the ferry terminal building in Oak
Bluffs. While shooting the picture, an employee of the Steamship
Authority, the company who has a lock on transportation to and from the
island, ask "sir, what are you doing?" I replied that I was taking a
picture. She told me that "Homeland Security says that's illegal. Please
don't take pictures of the building." I replied, politely, that it
wasn't illegal and there are no laws against taking pictures of
anything. I asked her to quote me the name and number of the law I was
breaking. She said that her supervisor told her that this was illegal,
so I had to stop. I said nonsense. She and her supervisor are dead
wrong, and that she had no right to tell me what I can, or can't shoot,
especially since I was standing on a public crosswalk. She called a cop
over, who pretty much verified everything I told her. She asked for my
name, address, everything, but I refused. The cop sided with me. Now she
was ****ed. She summoned someone from inside the building, he came out,
they talked for a second, and they hustled her inside where she couldn't
bother anyone else. The cop just shook his head, the SSA employee
apologized, I told them "no problem" and we all went our separate ways.

I'm guessing she was just a moron. I've been riding that ferry for 30
years, and have shot all manner of pictures on and off the boats, and
not once have I ever been approached or told I can't shoot pictures.
People shoot pictures on and around the ships all the time. I can't
figure out why she singled me out.

Silly slovenly steamship employee with a superior slinky attitude.

Couldn't resist, could you?

Well, it wasn't as much to-the-point as my suggestion.

Old July 19th 11, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On 19 Jul 2011 22:05:00 GMT, ray wrote:

I found out a long time ago, as the old adage says: "you'll catch more
flies with honey than vinegar". Given the same situation, rather than
inflaming the situation, I'd have politely left and come back later to
finish, if it were that important.

I would have agreed with her politely, explained the lack of law, and
then offered to take her photograph and email it to her or bring it
back another day. She'd probably give you an insider's tour if you
did that.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old July 19th 11, 11:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2011-07-19 12:56 , Bowser wrote:
I can't
figure out why she singled me out.

I think she was trying to seduce you and you missed all the signals.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old July 19th 11, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-07-19 15:13:27 -0700, Alfred Molon said:

When I landed in Girona airport (Spain) this June and was walking
towards the terminal, I tried to take a picture of the building (from
the outside). Some airport staff told me it was forbidden and even
followed me for a while to make sure I really would not take a picture
of the airport building.

Different country, with different Laws to deal with. If you are not a
local, or a have a good knowledge of local Laws, polite discretion is
usually the best. Spain has its domestic issues, and it is very likely
that an airport in Spain is well watched and has security regulations
which might seem paranoid to a complacent tourist.

Bowser taking shots of a Ferry terminal from public property in the USA
is not illegal. That does not mean you are immune to confrontation by
ignorant, officious asses who could make life difficult. It means you
should always be prepared to deal with the situation diplomatically and
have a line of retreat.

Bowser was fortunate to have a cop blessed with common sense on the
scene. There is no guarantee that will always be the case. An argument
for argument's sake with an idiot can only lead to ugly things.

Savageduck

Old July 19th 11, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2011-07-19 14:19 , tony cooper wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 12:56:06 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Moron, though? She was sent out by her supervisor who told her it was
illegal. If anyone's the moron, the supervisor is. No balls, either,
since he or she wouldn't come out.

No evidence a supervisor actually said that to her - just her version of
events. Perhaps as she got deeper into her pile of BS she fabulated
what the supervisor said.

I've been using the "produce the supervisor" defense on all manner of
front line employee claims since I was a teen.

(Used it today in fact - but lost. On erands I went to a branch of my
SO's bank to deposit a cheque she had received into her account. I even
knew the acct number (from the back of a previous cheque, in hand).
They refused to deposit anything other than a bank draft/money order,
certified cheque government cheque - unless I too had an account with
that bank. Didn't. So ended up wasting time. [ I have no trouble
depositing cheques into my son's account and I don't have an account
with them ]. They say they changed policy a couple years ago).

Just glad I see fewer and fewer cheques.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old July 20th 11, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 18:46:56 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2011-07-19 14:19 , tony cooper wrote:
[...]

If she fooled Bowser, then Bowser fooled me. I can only respond to
what the person telling the story says the story was.

(Used it today in fact - but lost. On erands I went to a branch of my
SO's bank to deposit a cheque she had received into her account. I even
knew the acct number (from the back of a previous cheque, in hand).
They refused to deposit anything other than a bank draft/money order,
certified cheque government cheque - unless I too had an account with
that bank. Didn't. So ended up wasting time. [ I have no trouble
depositing cheques into my son's account and I don't have an account
with them ]. They say they changed policy a couple years ago).

Just glad I see fewer and fewer cheques.

You would not be allowed to deposit anything in a person's account at
my bank if you are not on the account. Not cash, not a certified
gov't check, not anything.

That doesn't mean you can't. It just means you are not allowed to.
If you walk up with a deposit slip and a check in hand, the teller may
not notice you are not the account holder.

A few years ago my wife opened a new account at a bank near her
office. She doesn't like to carry cash around, and wanted a nearby
bank (our main bank is not nearby) in order to withdraw cash when
needed. A couple of weeks later I went by that bank and tried to
deposit $100 in cash in her account.

I have a driver's license with the same address, I know her social
security number, and I had a check with me showing we had a joint
account at another bank. No good.

She had to come with me to the bank to fill out a form adding me to
the account.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Old July 20th 11, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

[...]

Probably because you were carrying the biggest, most impressive camera she'd
ever seen.

Wandering briskly OT ...
Oak Bluffs is an interesting town (one of the five that constitute the island
of Martha's Vineyard). For 100 years or so, it's been the summer preserve of
well-to-do African Americans. I believe it's partly to give a nod to that
historical factoid that Barack Obama and his family have vacationed there a
few times.

Bob
Old July 20th 11, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

wrote:

On 2011-07-19 14:19 , tony cooper wrote:
[...]

I read it differently. I guess I formed my opinion about her, er, lying
on the first declaration She said that her supervisor told her that
this was illegal.

That doesn't mean the super actually said that at all. He probably said
that nobody could stay in the cafeteria for more than 10 minutes after
they finished eating it and she thought it meant tourists couldn't take
photos.

[...]

I don't look much like a "Sonya" so might not fly... (and I forgot to
mention cash - they'll deposit cash).

There is no logic for it. I recall in one my first jobs, before direct
deposit, where I would walk to the bank every other Thursday and a
couple engineers would thrust their paycheques at me and ask me to
deposit them (same bank). They'd simply write "for deposit only" on the
back with the account number. Done. I'd bring back the deposit
receipts. Sometimes I'd ask one of them to do the same for me.

Don't need to see a balance. Just a receipt for the deposited amount is
fine.

A few years ago my wife opened a new account at a bank near her
office. She doesn't like to carry cash around, and wanted a nearby
bank (our main bank is not nearby) in order to withdraw cash when
needed. A couple of weeks later I went by that bank and tried to
deposit $100 in cash in her account.

I have a driver's license with the same address, I know her social
security number, and I had a check with me showing we had a joint
account at another bank. No good.
She had to come with me to the bank to fill out a form adding me to
the account.

Strange these banks. They should keep money in but not keep it out.

I can _almost_ understand not depositing a personal cheque as it could
screw up a persons account and cost fees if it bounced.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.
Old July 20th 11, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , ray
wrote:

I found out a long time ago, as the old adage says: "you'll catch more
flies with honey than vinegar". Given the same situation, rather than
inflaming the situation, I'd have politely left and come back later to
finish, if it were that important.

what if what you wanted to photograph wasn't there later? or the light
was not ideal? or you couldn't go back later at all? why should you
have to comply with a non-existent law?