Olympus E-1 Digital

Old August 20th 04, 01:30 PM
Chris Brown

Sophie Wilson wrote:

And yes, the SD9/SD10 images look wrong. A worse wrongness than Velvia in
the colours, something very weird in the textures. Can't imagine why
people buy them!

Hey, leave Velvia out of it! Unlike the SD*, you get more than one shade of
green with Velvia, and anyway, some of us *like* those colours, you know. ;-

Old August 20th 04, 08:46 PM
Brian C. Baird

In article , andrew29
@littlepinkcloud.invalid says...
Canon certainly is putting much more emphasis on innovation, and the
1Ds and 1D Mark II are evidence of this. Since technology does tend
to, if I may borrow a cliche, "trickle down", Canon's future
consumer models are likely to continue the tradition of being ahead
of the game. If full frame WILL be achieved at an affordable price
point, it certainly won't be from the company that writes it off
entirely - Nikon.

This is a circular argument. You're assuming your conclusion: that
full-frame really is desirable and important.

Well, considering that most photographers DESIRE full frame but can't
afford it, that makes it important.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Old August 21st 04, 04:46 AM
Nick C

"Brian C. Baird" wrote in message
.. .
In article , andrew29
@littlepinkcloud.invalid says...
Canon certainly is putting much more emphasis on innovation, and the
1Ds and 1D Mark II are evidence of this. Since technology does tend
to, if I may borrow a cliche, "trickle down", Canon's future
consumer models are likely to continue the tradition of being ahead
of the game. If full frame WILL be achieved at an affordable price
point, it certainly won't be from the company that writes it off
entirely - Nikon.

This is a circular argument. You're assuming your conclusion: that
full-frame really is desirable and important.

Well, considering that most photographers DESIRE full frame but can't
afford it, that makes it important.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

I considered getting the 1Ds before the 1D MkII hit the market. But I waited
until the 1D MkII became available. The difference between paying about
$7,000 for the 1Ds and about $4,500 for the 1D MkII weighed on me for a
while but in the end I opt to buy the 1D MkII for $4,100 through my local
camera store. Primarily because I know pro's who have the MkII and are more
than happy to have it. At first there were reservations concerning one
having a full frame sensor and the other having a slightly smaller sensor
but now that I've taken several hundred pictures with the 1D MkII, the 1.3
factor of the 1D MkII has become inconsequential.

There is so much going for the MkII that for the first time, I've become
impressed with the performance and the usefulness of having a digicam.
However, I still have my Nikon gear and still scan negs, but I repeat, the
MkII is indeed a very impressive tool. If one uses a MkII for a days
shooting, I do think it will have the effect of ... Gotcha.

I recently used the MkII to photograph the ghost town Bodie. I was there a
couple of days taking pictures of the remnants of the town. For the first
time, I did not miss not having my Nikon gear.

nick