how to put the border around a headshot?

Old December 17th 03, 10:19 PM
Millenium

Default how to put the border around a headshot?

Ok I took this headshot with a digital camera. Now i would like to
know, how i can put the border around it where i can put the name and
the contact info... so it look like a professional headshot.
I have photoshop 8. any ideas please.

thanks
Old December 18th 03, 05:43 AM
zeitgeist

Ok I took this headshot with a digital camera. Now i would like to
know, how i can put the border around it where i can put the name and
the contact info... so it look like a professional headshot.
I have photoshop 8. any ideas please.

crop your headshot to 7.5 x 8.45. Open a blank file and make it an 8x10 at
whatever resolution you want, I usually use 300 dpi cause thats all most
printers really recognize even if it says 1440x2880.

re-res your headshot file to match your blank page so it should now say 7.5
x 8.45 at 300 pdi, now drag it to the new blank file and position it. add
your type at the bottom. flatten.

before you flatten you could hit the f/x link at the bottom of your layer's
pallet and give it a beveled edge or a stroked edge which will put a thin
red (or other color) line around the image area, way cool.

Old December 18th 03, 05:24 PM
Millenium

HI

Can you explain this process with more details. I have no idea still
of what needs to be done. thanks you

Old December 20th 03, 07:05 AM
zeitgeist

"Millenium" wrote in message
om...
HI

Can you explain this process with more details. I have no idea still
of what needs to be done. thanks you

do you know how to crop an image?

do you know how to set an image size?
do you know how to change canvas size?

do you have photoshop, or paintshop or any image editor?

Old December 23rd 03, 05:06 PM
Millenium

here is what i want to do to my headshot

http://www.graphicreproductions.com/4.htm

any ideas of how to accomplish it. with photoshop 8?
Old December 25th 03, 03:47 AM
zeitgeist

here is what i want to do to my headshot

http://www.graphicreproductions.com/4.htm

any ideas of how to accomplish it. with photoshop 8?

Most likely they bought a CD full of borders, that looks like what they used
to call a filed out negative carrier frame, a photog would literally take a
metal file to enlarge the image area around the negative, way out to the
edge of the sprockets, it was an arty look.

Now you can buy CD's full of various royalty free images of borders, that, a
4x5 type neg edge, various polaroid edge effects.

You can make your own, to get a deckle edge take a piece of paper with a
deckle edge and scan it, copy and rotate so you have four sides,

frankly I think you should keep it simple, if you were to talk to casting
agents, ad art directors, you'll find that they find such effects
distracting, even annoying.

what I sometimes do is make a dup layer, hit layer style and add a beveled
edge with inner or outer glow, that will give you a thin clean edge with no
attention getting distractions.

Its really rare that a fancy matting, underlay, overlay, pin stripe tape,
and arty borders actually improves an image. In PPA print competition you
will see it on a lot of prints, but any time it becomes as noticable as the
subject itself then the whole thing takes a hit in the score, it smells of
flop sweat, a desperation move to rescue a mediocre image that the submitter
had already spent a wad to make a print and retouch. It just doesn't sing,
so they start putting mattes and color tape edges hoping something might
fly.

Photoshop 8? geez, I'm still puttering around with 6.

here's some ideas...

if your target is an 8x10, then scale your image for, say 7 inches wide,
make another copy of the image that is 7.5 wide, now run a filter or two,
streak it, blur it, dapple, grain, swirl, whatever. hit image adjust and
curves or brightness and make it a step or two darker (or brighter) and drag
it on to the final canvas, then drop your main image, now you have a custom
border keyed to your image.

Old December 18th 03, 07:26 PM
J C

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 04:43:53 GMT, "zeitgeist"
wrote:

I usually use 300 dpi cause thats all most
printers really recognize even if it says 1440x2880.

To the original poster, increase the canvas size of the image. Take a
look at how to do that in the manual; its on one of the PS menus,
something like Image/Canvas Size... to get even borders all around,
click the middle box in the image that is presented in the dialog box
that pops up.

To Zeitgeist, you should know that your statement above is actually
incorrect. The resolution of a digital image and the resolution with
which an inkjet prints are two different things. So there's actually a
better reason for not creating digital images over 300 dpi.

-- JC
Old December 18th 03, 05:28 PM
JIM

"Millenium" wrote in message
om...
Ok I took this headshot with a digital camera. Now i would like to
know, how i can put the border around it where i can put the name and
the contact info... so it look like a professional headshot.
I have photoshop 8. any ideas please.

You could just use the image resize options. First size the image down by
whatever border width amount you want then just manipulate the canvas size
to the finished size you want. Just be sure to set the canvas color first by
selecting the desired background color. You can then add text, etc..

Shoot'em up, bordered or not, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest will love
you for it!!

Jim

Old December 19th 03, 04:28 AM
Millenium

I resized the pic, and added the white canvas to it at 8x10, now how i
put the border around the pic, to separate it from the white? and how
i add the text to the canvas?

thanks
Old December 20th 03, 07:03 AM
JIM

"Millenium" wrote in message
om...
I resized the pic, and added the white canvas to it at 8x10, now how i
put the border around the pic, to separate it from the white? and how
i add the text to the canvas?

If your picture is smaller than the 8x10 canvas, the white area is the
border. In the tool selection area, select the 'T' for text. You can then
place the text box anywhere, on the white border or even on the picture
itself. Change font size and color as desired.

Jim