Getting Started

Old July 30th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
McKev \(yay!\)

Default Getting Started

wrote in message
Me and my dad are really hoping to get into photography. My dad use to
be an amateur photographer in his college days and enjoyed using a
darkroom. I'm trying to get my dad to purchase a REAL camera so we can
take REAL pictures. My dad is not enthused with the new digital
technology and claims it takes the creativity and freedom out of
photography. I was just curious how much money it would cost to buy a
good 35mm camera and to start a makeshift darkroom and even if we
should invest in a digital camera and if so what would be a good
digital camera and how much does it cost...
Thanks!

Ive read the replies to this and while I dont disagree with them, Id like to
offer my tuppence worth. Id say that you'd learn the basics of photography
better with film than digitial. Film costs money so every frame counts
compared to the "delete" button on digital. Hence you'll think longer about
the set up of each shot. Although Ive been to the sharp end at digital I
still enjoy going back to the basics with film and Ive taken some shots that
simply couldnt be replicated with digital. Also, developing and printing
with film is creative and Ive found that to be a great joy - also
exasperating at times!

Rgds,
McKev

Old July 31st 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
otzi

"McKev (yay!)" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Yes I too would suggest using film, at least for starters. Film may be
dearer per shot but don't be fooled, for every comment about the blessing of
digital there is a lot that is not said. Like costs. Yes costs. Digital is
good make no mistake but to achieve the blessings of film you need good
stuff. Most cameras seem pretty good even the point and shoot, well sort of.
But to gain the really useful blessings of digital you are best to master a
couple of chapters of photo shop, and I will admit that is beyond me. You
need an accurate monitor a really good printer and a really good scanner.
photo ink jet paper is quite pricey as is the ink.

When traveling a digital needs the back up of too much stuff if you wish to
do more that store your images in camera..
Film cameras-I presume 35mm are very competitive these days, film is better
than it's ever been and your dark room stuff is easily bought off ebay.

It boils down to whether you are a hands on person that likes to create
using active hand (objective) Working on your own in peace and quiet_your
space. Or some one that's just loves sitting on your backside gazing
aimlessly at a monitor screen. (subjective) Working in the house interrupted
by passers by to tell you tea's ready, seeing what your doing, etc,etc,

Hour for hour you will blow away far more of your life on the monitor than
you will in the dark room. And I don't know why but digital users are always
buying more stuff, well that's what their partners recon any way.

= Otzi