Minolta Dual Scan II, Firewire

Old March 2nd 14, 05:30 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Martin Riddle

Default Minolta Dual Scan II, Firewire

Hey guys,

Anyone still scanning film? I have a Dual scan that causes a blue
screen under win7 64bit using the firewire connection. It works fine
with USB.

Any solutions?

TIA
Martin
Old March 2nd 14, 06:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
Martin Riddle wrote:

Hey guys,

Anyone still scanning film? I have a Dual scan that causes a blue
screen under win7 64bit using the firewire connection. It works fine
with USB.

Any solutions?

Martin-

I can't answer your question, but my experience may be relevant.

I have the older Minolta Dimage Scan Dual with SCSI ports. Using a
Microtech SCSI to FireWire adapter with the VueScan program, I have been
successful scanning slides and negatives.

Minolta's drivers stopped being updated years ago. The VueScan program
has no difficulty working with the Minolta film scanner, as well as an
old Acer flatbed USB scanner and a relatively new Canon USB flatbed
scanner.

I suggest you download the trial version of VueScan to see if it will
solve your problem.

Fred
Old March 2nd 14, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2014.03.01, 23:30 , Martin Riddle wrote:
Hey guys,

Anyone still scanning film? I have a Dual scan that causes a blue
screen under win7 64bit using the firewire connection. It works fine
with USB.

Any solutions?

Run Win in 32 bit mode if you can.

Also, echoing Fred I'd try Vuescan - unless the issue is specifically
Firewire/Dual Scan/Win 7-64b, that might get you out of it.

(Specifically - I seem to recall that the Minolta s/w will not run under
64b on Win).

At least you have USB as a backup. I have to use an adaptor from
Thunderbolt to FW (which I need for another device anyway, so no biggie).

I used to have the Dual Scan and the 5400 (1st gen) - nice scanners.

(And yes, I still scan film, albeit not nearly as much as I used to).

--
... it may be that "in the cloud" really isn't the best term
for the services these companies offer. What they really
Old March 2nd 14, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Martin Riddle

On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 10:54:11 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2014.03.01, 23:30 , Martin Riddle wrote:
Hey guys,

Anyone still scanning film? I have a Dual scan that causes a blue
screen under win7 64bit using the firewire connection. It works fine
with USB.

Any solutions?

Run Win in 32 bit mode if you can.

Also, echoing Fred I'd try Vuescan - unless the issue is specifically
Firewire/Dual Scan/Win 7-64b, that might get you out of it.

(Specifically - I seem to recall that the Minolta s/w will not run under
64b on Win).

At least you have USB as a backup. I have to use an adaptor from
Thunderbolt to FW (which I need for another device anyway, so no biggie).

I used to have the Dual Scan and the 5400 (1st gen) - nice scanners.

(And yes, I still scan film, albeit not nearly as much as I used to).

Hi Alan,

I had fornd a minolta.inf that someone kindly made public. It has the
vendor Id's and periphial Id's to setup the scanner. THe original
Dualscan software works fine on WIN7 64bit.

Apparently WIN7's 1394 drivers were changed, but even the
recomendations of selecting the Legacy 1394 driver did not work for
me. Maybe I'll try a firwire adaptor, I think I have one floating
around somewhere.

Comparing it with my Epson V330, it does a better job.

Cheers
Old March 3rd 14, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

wrote:

[...]

Can you roll back the update?

recomendations of selecting the Legacy 1394 driver did not work for
me.

I assume you rebooted after selecting the legacy FW driver?

Maybe I'll try a firwire adaptor, I think I have one floating
around somewhere.

Adaptor to what? (USB 2.0, 3.0? ...)

Comparing it with my Epson V330, it does a better job.

I'd think so ... but later Epson flatbeds are pretty good too.

--
Privacy has become an essential personal chore that most
people are not trained to perform.

Old March 3rd 14, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Martin Riddle

wrote:

[...]

I verified the legacy 1394 does not work. The Chipset I have is the
TBS43AB22, which is TI.
I guess I'm out of luck on WIN7, But I'm going to try the UniBrain FW
drivers first before I give up.

I have a seperate PCI-Firewire card somewhere.

Actually the V330 does ok, but I like the ICE on the minolta software.

Cheers
Old March 3rd 14, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Martin Riddle

wrote:

[...]

Success! There was nothing wrong with the firewire driver. Out of
ideas, I went back to the standard WIN7 OHCI driver but I selected the
Dual scan 5400 firewire device from the minolta.inf during the Scan
elite II install. ( I know I had said Dual Scan II)

Seems to work, gives me the correct 2400dpi resolution for the scanner
and scans properly.

Thanks

Martin

Old March 4th 14, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 2014.03.02, 20:20 , Martin Riddle wrote:

Success! There was nothing wrong with the firewire driver. Out of
ideas, I went back to the standard WIN7 OHCI driver but I selected the
Dual scan 5400 firewire device from the minolta.inf during the Scan
elite II install. ( I know I had said Dual Scan II)

Seems to work, gives me the correct 2400dpi resolution for the scanner
and scans properly.

Excellent. Glad it was finger fumble and not driver drivel.

Old March 8th 14, 05:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

On 3/1/2014 11:30 PM, Martin Riddle wrote:
Hey guys,

Anyone still scanning film? I have a Dual scan that causes a blue
screen under win7 64bit using the firewire connection. It works fine
with USB.

No problems using a Coolscan 8000 ED with Vuescan on Windows 7.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
You don't have to sort of enhance reality. There is nothing
Old March 8th 14, 07:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

On 8/03/2014 3:22 PM, Michael Benveniste wrote:
On 3/1/2014 11:30 PM, Martin Riddle wrote:
Hey guys,

Anyone still scanning film? I have a Dual scan that causes a blue
screen under win7 64bit using the firewire connection. It works fine
with USB.

No problems using a Coolscan 8000 ED with Vuescan on Windows 7.

Same here with a 9000ED, firewire, with Win7 64bit, with Nikonscan.
There is a site that explains how to set it up for Win7 64.
Works famously with vuescan as well.