Canon EF-S Telephoto Zoom Lenses?

Old November 27th 04, 02:23 PM
Matt

Default Canon EF-S Telephoto Zoom Lenses?

Anyone heard is Canon are going to release an EF-S telephoto zoom lens such
as a 75-300 IS?

Old November 27th 04, 02:40 PM
Eric Gill

"Matt" wrote in
:

Anyone heard is Canon are going to release an EF-S telephoto zoom lens
such as a 75-300 IS?

I'm not sure why they would want to. Why do you ask?

Old November 27th 04, 02:40 PM
Eric Gill

"Matt" wrote in
:

Old November 27th 04, 02:54 PM
Matt

The reason I ask, is because supposedly the EF-S lenses are designed
specifically for the digital sensor size of the 300D and 20D, and it seems
like this is the future for non-Pro Canon DSLR's.

They do a 10-22 EF-S lens, and a 17-85 EF-S lens, I just wondered if they
are planning on completing the range by making a 75-300 EF-S lens.

I was thinking of buying a 75-300IS lens, but will hold out if they are
planning to produce a EF-S version to keep it all matching as I don't use
the telephoto much in the Winter. (Sad I know, but I don't want to waste
money, and it is not very often I completely change my setup, so want to
make the right choice).

"Eric Gill" wrote in message
4...
"Matt" wrote in
:

Old November 27th 04, 02:54 PM
Matt

The reason I ask, is because supposedly the EF-S lenses are designed
specifically for the digital sensor size of the 300D and 20D, and it seems
like this is the future for non-Pro Canon DSLR's.

They do a 10-22 EF-S lens, and a 17-85 EF-S lens, I just wondered if they
are planning on completing the range by making a 75-300 EF-S lens.

I was thinking of buying a 75-300IS lens, but will hold out if they are
planning to produce a EF-S version to keep it all matching as I don't use
the telephoto much in the Winter. (Sad I know, but I don't want to waste
money, and it is not very often I completely change my setup, so want to
make the right choice).

"Eric Gill" wrote in message
4...
"Matt" wrote in
:

Old November 27th 04, 03:29 PM
Michael A. Covington

"Matt" wrote in message
The reason I ask, is because supposedly the EF-S lenses are designed
specifically for the digital sensor size of the 300D and 20D, and it seems
like this is the future for non-Pro Canon DSLR's.

They do a 10-22 EF-S lens, and a 17-85 EF-S lens, I just wondered if they
are planning on completing the range by making a 75-300 EF-S lens.

Less of an advantage with a longer lens. There's much less size and weight
to save. Also, when the lens already covers a narrow angle, you don't get
to simplify the design much by making it even narrower.

Old November 27th 04, 05:14 PM
Phil Wheeler

Matt wrote:
The reason I ask, is because supposedly the EF-S lenses are designed
specifically for the digital sensor size of the 300D and 20D, and it seems
like this is the future for non-Pro Canon DSLR's.

They do a 10-22 EF-S lens, and a 17-85 EF-S lens, I just wondered if they
are planning on completing the range by making a 75-300 EF-S lens.

I think the logic for it is not the

o 10-22 EF-S gets the 20D/300D wider than any other available lens

o 17-85IS is the 1.6x version of their popular 28-135IS for film cameras

These both fill a performance niche. A 70-300IS EF-S (which would
really be a 45-190 or so based on doing a film equivalent 70-300) seems
unwarrented. LOTS of lenses covering such ranges.

Phil

Old November 27th 04, 07:34 PM
MarkČ

"Matt" wrote in message
Anyone heard is Canon are going to release an EF-S telephoto zoom lens

such
as a 75-300 IS?

There is little-to-no reason for this, since telephoto is actually enhanced
by the crop-factor. It is only the wide angle that becomes a problem with
the smaller sensor size. Most users of long telephoto actually WELCOME the
crop factor when shooting long. I know I do.

Old November 27th 04, 07:53 PM
Phil Wheeler

MarkČ wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message

Anyone heard is Canon are going to release an EF-S telephoto zoom lens

such

as a 75-300 IS?

There is little-to-no reason for this, since telephoto is actually enhanced
by the crop-factor. It is only the wide angle that becomes a problem with
the smaller sensor size. Most users of long telephoto actually WELCOME the
crop factor when shooting long. I know I do.

Me, too -- particularly with Image Stabilzation :-)

Phil

Old November 27th 04, 08:51 PM
Eric Gill

"Matt" wrote in
:

The reason I ask, is because supposedly the EF-S lenses are designed
specifically for the digital sensor size of the 300D and 20D,

....which makes WIDE ANGLE lenses cheaper to build. It makes no sense at all
to make longer lenses for the mount.

snip