Irfanview and Canon RAW

Old September 30th 04, 12:37 AM
Terry

Default Irfanview and Canon RAW

I posted about this the other day. I am making progress, but still need
help. I am trying to open Canon RAW images with Irfanview. I was only able
to get 640 X 480 images. I found that in OptionsPropertiesPlugins, I had
"Load Preview image only" selected. Hence the 480 X 640. I selected "Load
using Canon DLLs (high quality image)" and now I get a pop up box when I try
to open a RAW file that says "[location & file name] : CRW Decode error!
Can't load Canon DLL:CDSDK.DLL Please read the file "i_plugins.txt for
CRW details"

I downloaded and installed the new Irfanview 392 and Irfanview_plugins_392
from the website. I also downloaded a WinZip file Canon_crw. I unzipped
the file and the contained files show on my hard drive.

So what do I do now? I feel like I am getting pretty close to making this
work. Please help if you can shed any useful information.

Thanks. Remove "rat" from my email address to reply by email.

--
Terry
Remove the rodent from my email address to reply directly.

Old September 30th 04, 03:18 AM
Annika1980

From: "Terry"

I am trying to open Canon RAW images with Irfanview.

Why?

Old September 30th 04, 03:18 AM
Annika1980

From: "Terry"

Old September 30th 04, 04:29 AM
Matt Ion

Terry wrote:

[...]

My guess is that those Canon DLLs need to be somewhere IrfanView can
find them... either in the IrfanView program folder, or somewhere in the
system PATH, such as the SYSTEM32 folder (typically C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 or
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32).

Old September 30th 04, 05:25 AM
Phil Wheeler

Probably to view the images .. that's what Irfanview is for.

From: "Terry"

Old September 30th 04, 11:32 AM
Terry

Thanks. I finally figured that out. I reunzipped the CRW files into the
Irfanview program & got it going. What happens now is that Irfanview opens
the file just fine. I can copy that and paste it into an old version of
Photoshop that I have if I want further manipulation. That all works great.
When I close a photo in Photoshop & try to paste a new picture copied from
Irfanview, Photoshop still shows the old picture. I have to completely shut
down Photoshop, restart it, then paste. That works.. Very confusing.

Old October 1st 04, 12:56 AM
Zeyd M. Ben-Halim

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 06:32:31 -0400, Terry wrote:

Thanks. I finally figured that out. I reunzipped the CRW files into the
Irfanview program & got it going. What happens now is that Irfanview opens
the file just fine. I can copy that and paste it into an old version of
Photoshop that I have if I want further manipulation. That all works great.
When I close a photo in Photoshop & try to paste a new picture copied from
Irfanview, Photoshop still shows the old picture. I have to completely shut
down Photoshop, restart it, then paste. That works.. Very confusing.

Odd, why are you copying from irfanview to PS, isn't that defeating the
whole point of shooting in RAW? You should converting the RAW files to TIFF
or PNG (or any other lossless format) using the RAW plugin in PS, breeze
browser, or Phase One C1.

Zeyd