GREEDY Apple wanted 30% of sales for doing almost NOTHING

Old August 10th 11, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

Default GREEDY Apple wanted 30% of sales for doing almost NOTHING

On 8/10/2011 11:36 AM, RichA wrote:
Except act as a conduit. Scum. Nice to see companies bailing on
them.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/10/tech...htm?hpt=te_bn2

It's called competition.

--
Peter
Old August 10th 11, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:41:28 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Aug 10, 11:53*am, PeterN wrote:
On 8/10/2011 11:36 AM, RichA wrote:

Except act as a conduit. *Scum. *Nice to see companies bailing on
them.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/10/tech.../index.htm?hpt...

It's called competition.

--
Peter

If you think they are adding 30% value, compared to the CREATOR of the
songs, the engineers, etc, you are a F------ IDIOT.

Right. The delivery system probably adds *more* than 30% of the value
to the product.

Without the delivery system, the product has no value.

If you invent and make a product of any kind, and attempt to sell it
through distributors, the price you sell it to them for (your value)
will be doubled or tripled or more in the marketplace. A song is just
another product.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old August 10th 11, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 8/10/2011 2:41 PM, RichA wrote:
On Aug 10, 11:53 am, wrote:
On 8/10/2011 11:36 AM, RichA wrote:

Except act as a conduit. Scum. Nice to see companies bailing on
them.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/10/tech.../index.htm?hpt...

It's called competition.

--
Peter

If you think they are adding 30% value, compared to the CREATOR of the
songs, the engineers, etc, you are a F------ IDIOT.

Again you are using personal name calling to substitute for logic. That
doesn't work as a diversion. If you create a song and I can market it
for you your choice is either pay me 50%, or go elsewhere.
When I had my office, anyone who needed my services would either pay my
fees, or go elsewhere. If I charge too much, competition will force me
to lower my fees. What makes you think that Apple has an obligation to
the world to make its services available for nothing? Your logic is
straight from the Kumunist Manifesto. You don't even realize it.

--
Peter
Old August 10th 11, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 8/10/11 1:41 PM, in article
, "RichA"
wrote:

On Aug 10, 11:53*am, PeterN wrote:
On 8/10/2011 11:36 AM, RichA wrote:

Except act as a conduit. *Scum. *Nice to see companies bailing on
them.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/10/tech.../index.htm?hpt...

It's called competition.

--
Peter

If you think they are adding 30% value, compared to the CREATOR of the
songs, the engineers, etc, you are a F------ IDIOT.

RichTard, that has been happening in the Music Industry since it began.

Wake up one day and stop hating Capitalism so damn much...

Old August 14th 11, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

tony cooper wrote:

[Apple taking 30%]

Right. The delivery system probably adds *more* than 30% of the value
to the product.

Without the delivery system, the product has no value.

If you invent and make a product of any kind, and attempt to sell it
through distributors, the price you sell it to them for (your value)
will be doubled or tripled or more in the marketplace. A song is just
another product.

If you say so. Of course you have no numbers.

I haven't seen Apple do anything for the average song, the average
app or the average content that would create much of value.
They don't press CDs or records and distribute them through
brick and motar shops. They don't print and distribute catalogs.
They don't rate the music. At best they display them sorted as
per the artist's or record lable's indications.

If that's worth 30%, then distributing, storing and selling
physical goods must be worth some 10000%.

-Wolfgang
Old August 16th 11, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Whisky-dave wrote:
On Aug 14, 4:28Â*pm, Wolfgang Weisselberg
wrote:
tony cooper wrote:

[Apple taking 30%]

Right. Â*The delivery system probably adds *more* than 30% of the value
to the product.
Without the delivery system, the product has no value. Â*
If you invent and make a product of any kind, and attempt to sell it
through distributors, the price you sell it to them for (your value)
will be doubled or tripled or more in the marketplace. Â*A song is just
another product.

If you say so. Â*Of course you have no numbers.

I haven't seen Apple do anything for the average song, the average
app or the average content that would create much of value.

Well for me I trust that any download from the app store will not give
me some virus or
do anything it shouldn;t as the apps submitted do go through checks.

OK, that's one point. After all, some (music!) CDs install root kits.

But Apple's check isn't very thorough.

I also believe that download a game from the app store is a game and
not something which will havest
any personal information such as CC details and transmit them to
someone else.

Apple doesn't check that.

Not sure I feel the same about programs and the exe files I see on
websites.

Feelings are important.

A friend that sets up comerial websites charges about £200 for a very
basic design

I think he's overcharging. There are many 'click your own website'
tools that can do that for a lot less.

so how much do Apple charge for doing a webpage and advertsing...

Too much. After all, your average app isn't showcased or anything.

Another friend set up a CC charging system for book buying but that
cost over £1,500 in fees
to the CC company/checker.... .

And I have a decade experience with working with 'CC charging
systems' (and lots of other payment options as well), and they
don't charge 30%. Not by an order of magnitude. And they do
fraud checking. And offering the stuff for download. And giving
support to buyers and sellers.

They don't press CDs or records and distribute them through
brick and motar shops. Â*They don't print and distribute catalogs.
They don't rate the music.

And you think what 'Apple' likes is relivant to what you like ?

Huh?

Will teh average record shop allow me to play 10 seconds of anything I
want to hear in the shop .... NO

Oh, good shops will allow you to listen to much more, and
will give you personal attention and introduce you to music
you didn't know you liked. And will have rare stuff. And
never dabbled with DRM.

Will they allow me to choose the tracks I won't off an album and not
charge me for the ones I don;t want ... NO

Will Apple allow you to download the CD booklet or the record
sleeve?

Â*At best they display them sorted as
per the artist's or record lable's indications.

And make them easily availble virtually anywhere and with iCloud it'll
be backed up.

And you lost all your data how often?

if you loose your record or Album or it gets destryoed by fire or
theft ,
does Ploydor or EMI replace a lost or scrtached record for free ?

And how often did that happen to you, and did you remember
the mail access and password and all to your iTunes account
and what will happen if someone finds out that password (and
opens up everything under that password)?

Apple allows yuo to make up to 5 copies the music industry won;t even
let you make one copy.

Off my CDs I can make as many copies as I like, and of the data
therein, whether raw or Ogg Vorbis or MP1 Layer 3 or Layer 2 or
whatever I can make as many backups (including cloud based backups)
as I like.

-Wolfgang
Old August 16th 11, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"Wolfgang Weisselberg" wrote in message
[]
Off my CDs I can make as many copies as I like, and of the data
therein, whether raw or Ogg Vorbis or MP1 Layer 3 or Layer 2 or
whatever I can make as many backups (including cloud based backups)
as I like.

-Wolfgang

Currently, that's illegal in the UK, although the law should be changing.

Cheers,
David

Old August 17th 11, 01:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"Whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Aug 16, 4:53 pm, Wolfgang Weisselberg
wrote:
Whisky-dave wrote:
On Aug 14, 4:28 pm, Wolfgang Weisselberg
wrote:
tony cooper wrote:
[Apple taking 30%]
Right. The delivery system probably adds *more* than 30% of the value
to the product.
Without the delivery system, the product has no value.
If you invent and make a product of any kind, and attempt to sell it
through distributors, the price you sell it to them for (your value)
will be doubled or tripled or more in the marketplace. A song is just
another product.
If you say so. Of course you have no numbers.
I haven't seen Apple do anything for the average song, the average
app or the average content that would create much of value.

Well for me I trust that any download from the app store will not give
me some virus or
do anything it shouldn;t as the apps submitted do go through checks.

OK, that's one point. After all, some (music!) CDs install root kits.

I've yet to come accross that but what is a root kit ?

Nasty malware and a Sony perversity. I'm pretty sure root kits on music CDs
are ancient history, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

But Apple's check isn't very thorough.

Maybe it doesn;t need to be because the OS is more secure.

Actually, it's not. The Mac is _safer_ because there are more hackers going
after 'Doze, but 'Doze has always been (and remains) well ahead of Mac on
security. I suspect that's why I've only seen 'Doze in banks in the US.

There have been some recent articles on this in InfoWorld, but I don't have
any specific links.

http://www.infoworld.com/

(Until Apple finally got off their butts and stole a Unix, the Mac was a
complete disaster. Of course so was the Win 95 family, but NT was a modern,
secure OS 10 years before Apple had one.)

I'm resonabbly confident that anything I download fronm the aple
storte will work as stated (within reason)
,

That I'll believe, but...

I don;t expecxt the apps to harvest my information and sent it to a
thrid party or any scammers.

That's naive beyond words.

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old August 17th 11, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
I haven't seen Apple do anything for the average song, the average
app or the average content that would create much of value.

Other than make it available.

They don't press CDs or records and distribute them through
brick and motar shops.

It doesn't count if it's distributed electronically?

They don't print and distribute catalogs.

It doesn't count if it's not on paper?

If that's worth 30%, then distributing, storing and selling
physical goods must be worth some 10000%.

That's communist thinking. CApitalist thinking says that it's
worth whatever people will pay.

Old August 30th 11, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Whisky-dave wrote:
On Aug 17, 3:11Â*pm, John A. wrote:
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 04:30:47 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave

OK, that's one point. Â*After all, some (music!) CDs install root kits.

I've yet to come accross that but what is a root kit ?

If you don't know what they are, how do you know you haven't come
across one?

Apple don;t sell music CDs and those CDs from iTunes aren;t installed,
so yes you're right I haven;t had any problems from rootkits from
Apple,
but there might be a problem from other sources so I won;t use them.

iTunes itself may contain a root kit, for all you know.

-Wolfgang