IrfanView problem

Old August 31st 04, 04:33 PM
CR Optiker

Default IrfanView problem

I have used IrfanView 3.17 in the past on CD's that I've placed image
folders on to distribute to friends and family because that version can run
entirely from the CD without installation, and because it can run
thumbnails of a specified folder using a menu generated by the freeware
program CD Starter, following a CD autorun. In the past, running on my
Windows 98SE machine, it worked great.

I've migrated to a new WinXP machine, and seem to be having problems with
IrfanView not being able to read the images in the folders when invoked by
the button command. However, after launching IrfanView manually, I can open
and dispaly the images and thumbnails with no problem.

When invokved by the button command "file=i_view32.exe Amy /thumbs" for the
folder "Amy" I get the error message "Can't read file header ! Unsupported
file type !" for a normal PNG file, which as mentioned above, opens fine
manually. If I click OK to close the error message box, IrfanView opens
with a blank display, then opens the thumbnail window and displays
thumbnails of all displayable files in the root folder of the CD in stead
of the designated folder.

Any suggestions as to the cause and the fix?

I really like IrfanView much better than any other viewer I've tried, so
would prefer to fix rather than switch if posible. But, if it's not going
to be fixable, suggestions for other freeware viewers with the same
capability that can run uninstalled from the CD?

Thanks!
Optiker
Old August 31st 04, 06:41 PM
Alan Meyer

"CR Optiker" wrote in message
When invokved by the button command "file=i_view32.exe Amy /thumbs" for

the
folder "Amy" I get the error message "Can't read file header ! Unsupported
file type !" for a normal PNG file, which as mentioned above, opens fine
manually.

Try this: "file=i_view32.exe \Amy /thumbs"

It may be having trouble without the leading backslash
in front of "Amy". You want a full path from the root
of the drive.

Also, be sure that the CD ROM drive is the current
drive when IrfanView is started. Presumably you don't
want to say "d:\Amy..." since the person using the
CD may not have his drive installed as D:

Alan

Old August 31st 04, 08:01 PM
CR Optiker

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:41:36 -0400, Alan Meyer wrote:

"CR Optiker" wrote in message
When invokved by the button command "file=i_view32.exe Amy /thumbs" for

the
folder "Amy" I get the error message "Can't read file header ! Unsupported
file type !" for a normal PNG file, which as mentioned above, opens fine
manually.

Try this: "file=i_view32.exe \Amy /thumbs"

It may be having trouble without the leading backslash
in front of "Amy". You want a full path from the root
of the drive.

Also, be sure that the CD ROM drive is the current
drive when IrfanView is started. Presumably you don't
want to say "d:\Amy..." since the person using the
CD may not have his drive installed as D:

Alan

Alan....
OK, will try it tonight when I get home. The fact is that it worked fine on
previous CDs that I set up the same way, but on my old Win98 machine.
Nevertheless, I'll ry anything at this point!

Thanks!
Optiker

Old September 1st 04, 12:52 AM
Ken Oaf

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:33:10 -0700, CR Optiker wrote:

[...]

Upgrade to the latest version of Irfanview and see what happens.

Old September 1st 04, 01:57 PM
CR Optiker

"CR Optiker" wrote in message
When invokved by the button command "file=i_view32.exe Amy /thumbs" for

the
folder "Amy" I get the error message "Can't read file header ! Unsupported
file type !" for a normal PNG file, which as mentioned above, opens fine
manually.

Try this: "file=i_view32.exe \Amy /thumbs"

It may be having trouble without the leading backslash
in front of "Amy". You want a full path from the root
of the drive.

Also, be sure that the CD ROM drive is the current
drive when IrfanView is started. Presumably you don't
want to say "d:\Amy..." since the person using the
CD may not have his drive installed as D:

Alan

Alan...sure enough, that took care of it. Now I have a continuing stability
problem with the prog that runs the menu when the CD autoruns. Possibly a
Win98 to XP issue. Maybe it's time to lok for a new menu prog, but at least
it solves the IrfanView problem.

Thanks!
Optiker