Zoom lens for Canon 300D - Tamron/Canon

Old January 16th 05, 04:43 AM

In message ,
MarkH wrote:

wrote in :

In message ,
Jim Townsend wrote:

It's not a bad little lens. It isn't as sharp as my EF 100-400 L, but
the color and contrast is about the same. What I really don't like
about it is that it's *very* prone to purple fringing.

Purple fringing is a sensor problem. Do you mean chromatic
aberration?

What's the difference? Is the definition of chromatic aberration different
in your dictionary? (Purple fringing is an aberration of the chroma as far
as I know)

It's not an aberration. It is electrons from saturated green-filtered
sensors spilling into the surrounding blue- and red-filtered sensors.
It is only purple because the demosaicing algorithm thinks it's real red
and blue light.
--

John P Sheehy

Old January 16th 05, 11:07 AM
Siddhartha Jain

Eric Gill wrote:
That's extremely bad advice. Lenses are good or bad depending on

their
design, features, and build, not the logo stamped on them.

Yep, I have my eye on the Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4. At $450, it looks
very tempting.

Yes, it's not made as well as the 24-70L. It doesn't focus as fast.

It's
not weather sealed. It was also just $350 instead of over a thousand

bucks,
a compromise I was very happy to make. Would everyone? No - but you

select
what you pay based on the features set, not the name.

Ahhh!! you can't compare with a $1000++ "L" lens. Simply not fair

As for Siddhartha's question, I own a 75-300IS and cannot reccomend

it
except as a budget lens you'll replace sometime soon. The glass is
mediocre, the USM is adequate at best. The construction is cheap,

it's a
very elongating push-pull design and the IS helps but is no

substitute for
fast glass. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the other lenses

you
are looking at, but it certainly does seem that the 28-300 is not

well
regarded.

I think I'll get the Canon 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6. When I have more money
(maybe in a couple of years), I'll probably get the 100-400mm "L". But
the build quality of the 100-300mm looks like its well worth keeping
even then. The features it has over the 75-300mm USM a
- Ring-USM (aka true USM) hence faster AF and MF over-ride
- Rear-focussing elememt
- Metal mount (polycarbonate body)
- distance window

Optically, no one seems to put it WAY above the 75-300mm but maybe just
a notch above.

Thanks for the replies.

- Siddhartha

Old January 16th 05, 04:35 PM
Eric Gill

"Siddhartha Jain" wrote in
oups.com:

Eric Gill wrote:
That's extremely bad advice. Lenses are good or bad depending on

their
design, features, and build, not the logo stamped on them.

Yep, I have my eye on the Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4. At $450, it looks
very tempting.

Allegedly great for the money. I splurged for the Canon L version (ouch!),
so am very spoiled here. Having a constant f-stop is a wonderful thing.

snip

Ahhh!! you can't compare with a $1000++ "L" lens. Simply not fair

Ten to one I break down and buy the "L" - in about a year or so, when I'll
hopefully be shooting even more than now. In the meantime, I got some great
glass, my wife got a shopping spree, and there was money left over, thus
helping to ensure I'll still be married a year from now.

Canon 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6.

Optically, no one seems to put it WAY above the 75-300mm but maybe just
a notch above.

Well, it seems you have to bring a great pile of cash to the table for a
better zoom in the 300+ range. On paper (never used it) all the features
you list plus the low price makes it sound like the best choice available.

Thanks for the replies.

You bet.

Flektogon 20mm F2.8 lens with Canon 300D - Anyone? Siddhartha Jain Digital Photography 2 March 2nd 05 05:22 PM
Old lens + 300d - what happens? Gareth Tuckwell Digital Photography 19 August 13th 04 11:24 AM
Stiff-Focusing Canon Zoom Lens FD Don Noble 35mm Photo Equipment 3 August 12th 04 11:06 PM
perspective w/ 35mm lenses? PrincePete01 Digital Photography 373 August 10th 04 02:21 PM
Fixed Aperture Zoom Lens Mike - EMAIL IGNORED Other Photographic Equipment 0 November 11th 03 08:39 PM