which PC

Old June 6th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jdear64

Default which PC

On Jun 6, 6:42 am, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message

In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

Do you want to look at that in detail?

Obviously you haven't.

Mac OS X has less functionality than Vista (not that it matters to me as
run applications and not OSes as such).
OS updates for windows install themselves and what's more they are free
and
don't cost $150 pa when a new "version" arrives.
There are security issues on Macs if you haven't been patching them you
are
asking for trouble.

Uh...name for me just one virus or piece of spyware in the wild which
is capable of infecting OS X (HINT: there are none).

Quite a large number have been patched so far assuming you have installed
the patches that is.
You may not have as you appear to be invulnerable.- Hide quoted text -

Randall Ainsworth asked you to name one virus or spyware capable of
infecting OS X. Your response was to post a link to security
updates. Is your reading comprehension REALLY this bad? A possible
security exploit does NOT mean it has been exploited.

I really don't care what OS others use. Just don't be an idiot.

Old June 6th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_2_]

M-M wrote:
[]
Because there's is no Bill Gates who needs to be able to get into
everyone's system to check if they paid for it.

If Gates can get in, so can you.

Not that I agree with your supposition, but do you think that backdoors
don't exist in other OSes?

David

Old June 6th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dennis@home

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:
"George Kerby" wrote in message

PS OSx is just a "shell" ontop of a unix kernel and there is nothing that
says unix is safe. The first worms were unix based and there have been
plenty of problems since. There is nothing that Apple does to make sure
there are no security issues that M$ doesn't do so your faith is not
based on fact.

Experience says it's safe. The record shows Macs are far less vulnerable
to all the problems that PC users need to guard against.

Rubbish.
The record shows that there are less attacks on Macs not that they are less
suseptical.

If I were a Windows user, my next box would be an Intel Mac, so if I were
still afraid of a new OS, I could boot right into Vista or whatever.

My next PC is going to be a tablet.. something lacking in apples line up.

Old June 6th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dennis@home

"jdear64" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 6, 6:42 am, "dennis@home"
wrote:
[...]

What have viruses got to do with security?
They are just a (small) subset of the problems encountered.

I really don't care what OS others use. Just don't be an idiot.

I have already said that its applications that matter.. you choose the OS to
run them and then the hardware.
Been doing it for large scale projects for years myself with an installed
base used by about 50M users ATM.

Old June 6th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dennis@home

"M-M" wrote in message
"dennis@home" wrote:

What do you think makes OSx invulnerable?

Because there's is no Bill Gates who needs to be able to get into
everyone's system to check if they paid for it.

If Gates can get in, so can you.

Irrational that one.
At least M$ don't embed personal data in media.

Old June 6th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

dennis@home wrote:
"George Kerby" wrote in message

PS OSx is just a "shell" ontop of a unix kernel and there is nothing that
says unix is safe. The first worms were unix based and there have been
plenty of problems since. There is nothing that Apple does to make sure
there are no security issues that M$ doesn't do so your faith is not
based on fact.

Experience says it's safe. The record shows Macs are far less vulnerable
to all the problems that PC users need to guard against.

Rubbish.
The record shows that there are less attacks on Macs not that they are less
suseptical.

What do you think is the reason for this? And DON'T come up with "no one
wants to mess with such a small percentage" ****.

The successful Mac hacker would become famous and welcomed to the Hacker
Hall of Fame. It's not that they aren't TRYING. THEY CAN'T! So far, at
least...

If I were a Windows user, my next box would be an Intel Mac, so if I were
still afraid of a new OS, I could boot right into Vista or whatever.

My next PC is going to be a tablet.. something lacking in apples line up.

Oh really? 'Big Chief', I'd bet...

Old June 6th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dennis@home

"George Kerby" wrote in message

What do you think is the reason for this? And DON'T come up with "no one
wants to mess with such a small percentage" ****.

The successful Mac hacker would become famous and welcomed to the Hacker
Hall of Fame. It's not that they aren't TRYING. THEY CAN'T! So far, at
least...

Why do you want to dissmiss the reason they aren't attacked?
Hackers aren't trying to get fame.. they end up in prison for that.
They want to send spam.

Anyway why do you think Macs haven't been hijacked?
What do you do to check yours hasn't been?
Are you like most Unix users.. unable to tell what your machine is doing?

If I were a Windows user, my next box would be an Intel Mac, so if I
were
still afraid of a new OS, I could boot right into Vista or whatever.

My next PC is going to be a tablet.. something lacking in apples line up.

Oh really? 'Big Chief', I'd bet...

???

Old June 6th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

Mac OS X has less functionality than Vista (not that it matters to me as I
run applications and not OSes as such).

specifically, how?

OS updates for windows install themselves and what's more they are free and
don't cost $150 pa when a new "version" arrives.

nonsense. os x automatically updates itself for free, unless the user
disables that feature. major updates occur every two years or so, with
quite a lot of enhancements; the suggested retail price of os x is $129
and it can easily be found for $99 or less.

There are security issues on Macs if you haven't been patching them you are
asking for trouble.

they are all *potential* issues; none have actually been exploited in a
mass attack. there are some proof of concepts that could do some
damage, but they almost universally require the user to explicitly
install something and/or supply their administrator password. malware
that needs user permission is hardly a threat.

Oh the hardware in Macs is as close to a PC as you can get too.
Just as well really as Mac performance was getting very slow compared to
PCs.

not based on benchmarks.

You can even buy a two or three button mouse for a Mac to make it useable.

macs are usable with a one button mouse. a two (or more) button mouse
is a convenience, and has been supported on macs for well over a
decade.

PS what *idiot* invented a circular mouse for a Mac?

i agree - the round mouse was dumb.
Old June 6th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

Because there's is no Bill Gates who needs to be able to get into
everyone's system to check if they paid for it.

If Gates can get in, so can you.

Irrational that one.
At least M$ don't embed personal data in media.

if you are referring to the itunes drm-free music, what did you expect
them to do? if there was no identifying information, then people would
post the songs to the filesharing sites. having an email embedded in
it enables apple and the music companies to see who is illicitly
sharing music and breaking the law. it is essentially the same as
having a name & serial number to register an application.
Old June 6th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dennis@home

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

Mac OS X has less functionality than Vista (not that it matters to me as
run applications and not OSes as such).

specifically, how?

OS updates for windows install themselves and what's more they are free
and
don't cost $150 pa when a new "version" arrives.

nonsense. os x automatically updates itself for free, unless the user
disables that feature. major updates occur every two years or so, with
quite a lot of enhancements; the suggested retail price of os x is $129
and it can easily be found for $99 or less.

Do you want to remind us what the major enhansments were in the last $99
dollar upgrade?

There are security issues on Macs if you haven't been patching them you
are
asking for trouble.

they are all *potential* issues; none have actually been exploited in a
mass attack. there are some proof of concepts that could do some
damage, but they almost universally require the user to explicitly
install something and/or supply their administrator password. malware
that needs user permission is hardly a threat.

Oh the hardware in Macs is as close to a PC as you can get too.
Just as well really as Mac performance was getting very slow compared to
PCs.

not based on benchmarks.

Oh come on, even Apple admit that Macs were getting slow compared to PCs and
that is why they went to Intel PC architectures.
Now they are the same speed as PCs.

You can even buy a two or three button mouse for a Mac to make it
useable.

macs are usable with a one button mouse. a two (or more) button mouse
is a convenience, and has been supported on macs for well over a
decade.

You call having to press the keyboard modifier and the mouse useable?
Just as well you don't need to use the other hand to drink tea.