CS3 & CS4 added to CS6 upgrade path

Old January 14th 12, 08:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default CS3 & CS4 added to CS6 upgrade path

It seems Adobe has relented a bit and added CS3 & CS4 to the upgrade
path to CS6.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1647...4_users .html

Rant away Rich!

Savageduck

Old January 14th 12, 08:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2012-01-14 03:05 , Savageduck wrote:
It seems Adobe has relented a bit and added CS3 & CS4 to the upgrade
path to CS6.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1647...4_users .html

I just upgraded (last spring) to CS5 from 3.

To me the value of each upgrade for its cost is going down very fast and
I see no reason to go beyond CS5. The principle reason I got it
(context aware editing) I've only used on a few photos, to date.

Adobe have become excessively expensive over the years.

In the late 90's I bought a nice audio editor (Cool Edit Pro) from
Syntrillium for about $80 (WinXP). I mainly used it to make CD's from
vinyls, but also a few MP3's.

Adobe purchased the product from Syntrilium and the price went up to
about $300 (after appropriate window dressing). Now it's $350!

To be sure they've added more features and "stuff" to it - but not to
justify the price, IMO.

Photoshop CS "upgrades" are not worth the cost either, IMO. But there
will remain those for whom the differences are worth it and those who
just have to have the latest.

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).
Old January 14th 12, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
[]
Adobe have become excessively expensive over the years.

Adobe have always been overpriced, Alan!
Particularly outside the US.

In the late 90's I bought a nice audio editor (Cool Edit Pro) from
Syntrillium for about $80 (WinXP). I mainly used it to make CD's from
vinyls, but also a few MP3's.

Adobe purchased the product from Syntrilium and the price went up to
about $300 (after appropriate window dressing). Now it's $350!

To be sure they've added more features and "stuff" to it - but not to
justify the price, IMO.

Try Audacity instead. I was also caught by the Cool Edit Pro sell-out.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,
David

Old January 14th 12, 11:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nick c[_5_]

On 2012-01-14 03:05 , Savageduck wrote:
It seems Adobe has relented a bit and added CS3 & CS4 to the upgrade
path to CS6.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1647...4_users .html

I just upgraded (last spring) to CS5 from 3.

To me the value of each upgrade for its cost is going down very fast and
I see no reason to go beyond CS5.

I also am somewhat of the same opinion, differing only in which version
of Photoshop suits my purposes . I found I have no need to go beyond
CS3, using various Nik and Topaz plug's suitable for my additional
needs. Yes sir, as they would say in New York City, "it woiks fa me."

Nick

Old January 15th 12, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-01-14 12:24:38 -0800, Alan Browne

On 2012-01-14 03:05 , Savageduck wrote:
It seems Adobe has relented a bit and added CS3 & CS4 to the upgrade
path to CS6.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1647...4_users .html

just upgraded (last spring) to CS5 from 3.

To me the value of each upgrade for its cost is going down very fast
and I see no reason to go beyond CS5. The principle reason I got it
(context aware editing) I've only used on a few photos, to date.

Agreed, I upgraded to CS5 because of the big change to the feature set,
and the new ACR engine. Without that I would have stuck with CS4. I
can't see any need beyond the feature set I have with CS5.

Adobe have become excessively expensive over the years.

However the upgrade path has been a bargain at $199 compared to that
initial cost.

In the late 90's I bought a nice audio editor (Cool Edit Pro) from
Syntrillium for about $80 (WinXP). I mainly used it to make CD's from
vinyls, but also a few MP3's.

Adobe purchased the product from Syntrilium and the price went up to
about $300 (after appropriate window dressing). Now it's $350!

To be sure they've added more features and "stuff" to it - but not to
justify the price, IMO.

Photoshop CS "upgrades" are not worth the cost either, IMO. But there
will remain those for whom the differences are worth it and those who
just have to have the latest.

I suspect that CS6 is not going to give much reason to upgrade over CS5
and Adobe knows that. After their November announcement, which was a
blatant exploitation of the user base, got nothing but resistance and
protest from the faithful they knew the double dip was not going to
work. CS6 is going to be the version to get the Adobe cloud going. I
suspect that CS6 is going to be a transitional, or place filler version
with the real editing feature improvements to come in CS7 within a year
of the release of CS6.

Savageduck

Old January 15th 12, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
ala

On 2012-01-14 03:05 , Savageduck wrote:
It seems Adobe has relented a bit and added CS3 & CS4 to the upgrade
path to CS6.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1647...4_users .html

My God! It�s the funniest thing! Enjoy it with me!...

Old January 15th 12, 02:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

On 1/14/2012 3:24 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2012-01-14 03:05 , Savageduck wrote:
[...]

When I had PS7, I saw no reason to upgrade, until CS came out. Similarly
with CS3. Now I am quite satisfied with CS5. It looks to me that there
are improvements and features in the new versions that induce me to
upgrade. Again I think this is the last upgrade, though I am realistic
enough to take a wait & see attitude.

--
Peter
Old January 15th 12, 12:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

On 1/14/2012 1:11 PM, RichA wrote:
On Jan 14, 3:05 am, wrote:
It seems Adobe has relented a bit and added CS3& CS4 to the upgrade
path to CS6.
http://www.macworld.com/article/1647...fers_cs6_upgra...

Rant away Rich!

Savageduck

Economic reality. They know that with in-camera correction of JPEGs,
and editing, sales are going to go down.
They can't act like the arrogant fools they were before.

Of course the in camera editing is equal to the editing that the CS
users do.

Sheesh!

--
Peter
Old January 15th 12, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-01-14 15:54 , David J Taylor wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
[]
Adobe have become excessively expensive over the years.

Adobe have always been overpriced, Alan!
Particularly outside the US.

In the late 90's I bought a nice audio editor (Cool Edit Pro) from
Syntrillium for about $80 (WinXP). I mainly used it to make CD's from
vinyls, but also a few MP3's.

Adobe purchased the product from Syntrilium and the price went up to
about $300 (after appropriate window dressing). Now it's $350!

To be sure they've added more features and "stuff" to it - but not to
justify the price, IMO.

Try Audacity instead. I was also caught by the Cool Edit Pro sell-out.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I have it on the Mac but I prefer using Cool Edit on the Mac under WinXP
under VMWare Fusion. Haven't really had much need over the past couple
years in any case.

Old January 15th 12, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2012-01-14 03:05 , Savageduck wrote:
It seems Adobe has relented a bit and added CS3 & CS4 to the upgrade
path to CS6.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1647...4_users .html

I just upgraded (last spring) to CS5 from 3.

To me the value of each upgrade for its cost is going down very fast
and I see no reason to go beyond CS5.

I also am somewhat of the same opinion, differing only in which version
of Photoshop suits my purposes . I found I have no need to go beyond
CS3, using various Nik and Topaz plug's suitable for my additional
needs. Yes sir, as they would say in New York City, "it woiks fa me."

Had I rested on CS3 I wouldn't be much behind and about $200 ahead.