Most suspect camera accessories

Old July 17th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Most suspect camera accessories

What are the most suspect camera accessories?

IMO
-Expodisc (re-invented as a "white balance" tool)
-LED based ring lights (although for "e-bay" shots,
probably very useful)
-

What are the worst three (quality, uselessness) that you've ever bought?

The worst _one_ that I bought is the Delkin monitor shade for my Maxxum
7D. Just does not conform closely enough to the body and since most
monitor viewing problems are the clothing color reflecting in the
monitor, it doesn't do much about that either. Also puts your eye
further away from the viewfinder...

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old July 17th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeffrey Kaplan

It is alleged that Alan Browne claimed:

What are the worst three (quality, uselessness) that you've ever bought?

Ever? Lessee... there's the Delkin monitor shade (closed, can't see
the screen, open can't use the viewfinder, pop off the shade bit and
it's a very expensive screen protector), my first mini/table-top tripod
that took forever to assemble whenever I wanted to use it, and, for my
use at the time, a wide-angle lens.

That first one was for my current camera, a Nikon D40x, and the other
two were for my previous SLR some 15 years ago, a Minolta X-370.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"We had a party on campus too! But instead of a man-eating alien, we
had nachos. And instead of a soul-sucking demon, we had karaoke!" "Ok,
that one's an even trade-off." - Zoe and Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Old July 18th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tom Ross[_2_]

Alan Browne wrote:
What are the worst three (quality, uselessness) that you've ever
bought?

1. A cheap 2x teleconverter to go with a Soligor 80-200/4.5. The lens
was a gift, but I take full credit for trying to make this lens
something more than it was. (And it wasn't much to start with.) Both
have been sitting at the bottom of Lake Borgne for nearly 30 years.

2. PC Reader for CompactFlash - the card inserted so far into the
reader you had to eject the reader just to remove the card. And even
then it was a fingernail buster.

3. Hoya Circular Polarizer Filter. I've had four of these, and on all
but one of them the retaining ring would pop out without warning.
Maybe it's my dumb luck, but the Hoya's are the only ones to ever do
this.

Honorable Mention: A PoS tabletop tripod - the only time I found it
useful was when I needed a way to secure a remote flash.

TR
Old July 18th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Eidt

"Tom Ross" schrieb
1. A cheap 2x teleconverter to go with a Soligor 80-200/4.5. The lens
was a gift, but I take full credit for trying to make this lens
something more than it was. (And it wasn't much to start with.) Both
have been sitting at the bottom of Lake Borgne for nearly 30 years.

Sounds so funny
How/why did the lens end up in the Lake?

Anyway, I purchased a cheap 500mm mirror lens. It was neither sharp nor the
picture quality was any good.

--
http://jurgene.spaces.live.com/

Old July 18th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Alan Browne wrote:
What are the most suspect camera accessories?

IMO
-Expodisc (re-invented as a "white balance" tool)
-LED based ring lights (although for "e-bay" shots,
probably very useful)
-

What are the worst three (quality, uselessness) that you've ever bought?

The worst _one_ that I bought is the Delkin monitor shade for my Maxxum
7D. Just does not conform closely enough to the body and since most
monitor viewing problems are the clothing color reflecting in the
monitor, it doesn't do much about that either. Also puts your eye
further away from the viewfinder...

Lightweight tripod that's o.k. for a table top, which I don't do except
in a blue moon. It's useless extended, unless for a p + s.

Lens pen/brush. Just don't use it; prefer synthetic cloth or linen.

Dagger monopod. In theory, one day I'll use it, but haven't yet.

--
john mcwilliams
Old July 18th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

According to Tom Ross :

Alan Browne wrote:
What are the worst three (quality, uselessness) that you've ever
bought?

1. A cheap 2x teleconverter to go with a Soligor 80-200/4.5. The lens
was a gift, but I take full credit for trying to make this lens
something more than it was. (And it wasn't much to start with.) Both
have been sitting at the bottom of Lake Borgne for nearly 30 years.

Interesting -- I've got a Soligor (50mm f:1.9 for The Miranda
series of cameras) at the bottom of Buzzards Bay near Cape Cod
Massachusettes. It did not wind up there because I did not like it, but
rather through fumble-fingers during a lens change on a sailboat. :-(

Well ... it was the excuse for getting the 50mm f1.4 to replace
it -- but I later got another camera with a 50mm f1.8 as well, because
the 1.8 was a log sharper than the 1.4. Soligor was the manufacturer's
line of lenses for the Mirandas, and in general, they were pretty good
lenses at the time and for the money.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old July 18th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig

What are the worst three (quality, uselessness) that you've ever bought?

Cheers,
Alan

Remember back in the '70's there was something called the "Girl Watching
Attachment"? It was a periscope-like mirror that attached to a lens to
shoot sideways. Had to be one of the worst. I didn't buy one but got a
good laugh out of the idea.

Old July 18th 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2007-07-17 10:01:26 -0700, Alan Browne
said:

What are the worst three (quality, uselessness) that you've ever bought?

Cheap tabletop tripod that will not stand up.

Lens cleaning cloth that leaves more lint than it picks up.

Lens cleaning solution that, although it claimed to be good for
glasses, caused the plastic in my glasses lenses to craze.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old July 18th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tom Ross[_2_]

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 18:28:33 -0700, "Jürgen Eidt"
wrote:

"Tom Ross" schrieb
1. A cheap 2x teleconverter to go with a Soligor 80-200/4.5. The lens
was a gift, but I take full credit for trying to make this lens
something more than it was. (And it wasn't much to start with.) Both
have been sitting at the bottom of Lake Borgne for nearly 30 years.

Sounds so funny
How/why did the lens end up in the Lake?

Well, let's just say the last part of the story has 'just toss it to
me, dammit' and 'you throw like a girl' in it.

Anyway, I purchased a cheap 500mm mirror lens. It was neither sharp nor the
picture quality was any good.

I had a chance to play with one ... killed any temptation I've ever
had for getting one.

TR
Old July 18th 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Julian.

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
Alan Browne wrote:
What are the most suspect camera accessories?

-Expodisc (re-invented as a "white balance" tool)

Easy to make your own for around $5 or less.

-LED based ring lights (although for "e-bay" shots,
probably very useful)

Nope, total crap with no practicality. A homemade softbox or light tent
with halogen lighting works best for eBay pics.

What are the worst three (quality, uselessness) that you've ever
bought?

I would never buy one, but the Gary Fong line is a total rip-off. This
leads me to ask, why buy a Fong when you can have a Thong?

http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2007/lt1.htm

Would you elobrate on the Fong line Rita?
I've seen his "Light sphere" on eBay for heaps of money and wondered if it
really was any better than alternatives at mooting the flash.