Printing w/o easel

Old February 14th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default Printing w/o easel

Steven Woody spake thus:

On Feb 14, 2:52 am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Steven Woody spake thus:

on a thread of photo.net, i saw an article which instroduced a method
of printing w/o easel, it seems interesting to me, but i believe i am
not well understood what she said. can anyone please unfold the
details to me? thanks.

"I have a easel, but I don't use it since I read somewhere about this
solution that I found very good: With an adesive spray and a piece of
plane wood. Spraying one side of the wood, You get an adesive easel.
You put paper in the adesive side of the piece of wood, expose, and
gentle remove the paper. I found this very practical."

It's simple: you just need to read what they wrote.

Translation: take a piece of flat wood. Spray it with sticky stuff.
Stick the paper to it. Expose. Peel off and develop.

Sounds a little messy for my liking, but whatever.

okay, i begin to understand the method but .... after focusing, how
to put the new printing paper in the same position as the focusing
paper?

Again, not exactly rocket science: Stick a piece of paper there for
focusing. Remove it and replace it with the paper you want to expose.
(Here is where marks around the outline of the paper on the sticky board
come in handy, to line the paper up.)

--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a

It is a WASTE OF TIME.

- Harlan Ellison, writing on the "talk page" of his Wikipedia article
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Harlan_Ellison)
Old February 15th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
mike odonoghue

David Nebenzahl wrote:
JJ spake thus:

Steven Woody wrote:

"I have a easel, but I don't use it since I read somewhere about this
solution that I found very good: With an adesive spray and a piece of
plane wood.

Don't EVEN go there. Whoever wrote that is a keyboard printer.

??? "Keyboard printer"? 'Splain yourself.

Besides which, why is this thread in the "large print edition"?

What's "plane" wood?
Old February 15th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Ken Hart

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Steven Woody spake thus:

on a thread of photo.net, i saw an article which instroduced a method
of printing w/o easel, it seems interesting to me, but i believe i am
not well understood what she said. can anyone please unfold the
details to me? thanks.

[gory details snipped]

Two more methods of printing borderlessly to consider:

1. Vacuum easel: board with small holes drilled in it connected to
vacuum source (vacuum cleaner could be used).

2. Sheet of glass placed over paper.

Can't vouch for how effective the second method is, but the first one
works well if you want to go to the trouble.

#3. "Cone of light" (what a pretentious expression!) Borderless easel. This
easel has guides that have just enough bevel to hold the paper, but not
enough bevel to get in the way of the light from the lens (because the light
from the lens is a cone-shape...). I've been using one of these easels for
many years with good success. One side of the easel has a non-moveable edge,
and there are three moveable guides that hold the paper in position. Over
the years, I've added various permanent marker lines to help with composing
the image.

Old February 15th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

mike odonoghue spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

JJ spake thus:

Steven Woody wrote:

"I have a easel, but I don't use it since I read somewhere about this
solution that I found very good: With an adesive spray and a piece of
plane wood.

Don't EVEN go there. Whoever wrote that is a keyboard printer.

??? "Keyboard printer"? 'Splain yourself.

Besides which, why is this thread in the "large print edition"?

What's "plane" wood?

A non-native English speaker's attempt to say "flat piece of wood", a
misspelling for "plain wood", whatever that is, or wood from the plane
tree (genus Platanus).

Old February 15th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
darkroommike

How about wood from an airplane--Baltic Fir plywood or Sitka
Spruce (used for spars in the old days). But plane also
means flat, plain means nothing fancy.

BTW 3M used to make a bulletin board product 12x12 squares,
really aggressive goo on one side, just Post-It-Note tacky
on the other, made a borderless easel using the stuff.
Align the focus sheet into one corner and then replaced it
with the printing paper, no lines to draw, no fuss, covered
the thing with an old Seal release sheet to keep the dust
off when not using it.

darkroommike

David Nebenzahl wrote:
mike odonoghue spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

JJ spake thus:

Old February 15th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

darkroommike wrote:

BTW 3M ... Post-It-Note tacky
Align the focus sheet into one corner and then replaced it
with the printing paper, no lines to draw, no fuss, covered
the thing with an old Seal release sheet to keep the dust
off when not using it. darkroommike

My earlier post mentioned 3, 3M products and Steve Anchell's
Sticky Easel composition and use.
I've tested wet paper for printing. Wet paper will lie flat
of it's own accord. For support I used a Saunders adjustable
8x10 borderless easel with end pieces removed. On that and
against the back lifted edge I placed a sheet of white
card stock sized exactly for the print paper: That for
focus and composing. Noting it's position upon the
support I replaced it with the pre-wet paper. The
method holds promise and will test further. Dan

Old February 16th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

spake thus:

darkroommike wrote:

BTW 3M ... Post-It-Note tacky
Align the focus sheet into one corner and then replaced it
with the printing paper, no lines to draw, no fuss, covered
the thing with an old Seal release sheet to keep the dust
off when not using it. darkroommike

My earlier post mentioned 3, 3M products and Steve Anchell's
Sticky Easel composition and use.
I've tested wet paper for printing. Wet paper will lie flat
of it's own accord. For support I used a Saunders adjustable
8x10 borderless easel with end pieces removed. On that and
against the back lifted edge I placed a sheet of white
card stock sized exactly for the print paper: That for
focus and composing. Noting it's position upon the
support I replaced it with the pre-wet paper. The
method holds promise and will test further. Dan

There goes Dan Quinn again, constantly searching for the most bizarre
ways to process film and paper. Wet paper? No thank you.

--

(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Harlan_Ellison)
Old February 16th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
mike odonoghue

Steven Woody wrote:
hi,

on a thread of photo.net, i saw an article which instroduced a method
of printing w/o easel, it seems interesting to me, but i believe i am
not well understood what she said. can anyone please unfold the
details to me? thanks.

"I have a easel, but I don't use it since I read somewhere about this
solution that I found very good: With an adesive spray and a piece of
plane wood. Spraying one side of the wood, You get an adesive easel.
You put paper in the adesive side of the piece of wood, expose, and
gentle remove the paper. I found this very practical."

-
woody

Just go out and get an adjustable easel. Forget about sticky stuff and
wet paper under the enlarger light. There are also some quite nice fixed
format easels that are perfectly squared. Why make things complicated?
Old February 16th 07, 10:57 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Steven Woody

On Feb 16, 2:03 pm, mike odonoghue wrote:
Steven Woody wrote:
hi,

on a thread of photo.net, i saw an article which instroduced a method
of printing w/o easel, it seems interesting to me, but i believe i am
not well understood what she said. can anyone please unfold the
details to me? thanks.

"I have a easel, but I don't use it since I read somewhere about this
solution that I found very good: With an adesive spray and a piece of
plane wood. Spraying one side of the wood, You get an adesive easel.
You put paper in the adesive side of the piece of wood, expose, and
gentle remove the paper. I found this very practical."

-
woody

Just go out and get an adjustable easel. Forget about sticky stuff and
wet paper under the enlarger light. There are also some quite nice fixed
format easels that are perfectly squared. Why make things complicated?

reason 1: good quality easels are too expensive to afford.
reason 2: i in most time use 120 film, hence the print is exactly
square to which there is no quick easel will fit.

-
woody

Old February 16th 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Gregory Blank

In article .com,
wrote:

Wet paper will lie flat
of it's own accord.

Who wants to work with wet Paper?
--
George W. Bush is the President Quayle we never had.