Question about Nova FB print processor

Old November 29th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lloyd Erlick

Default Question about Nova FB print processor

November 29, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,
On 28 Nov 2006 17:21:11 -0800,
wrote:

.... How could any
setup be any quicker than A tray.

that's what I say!

How about inline toning?

The desire to tone my print right after I
fixed it is part of my motivation for
starting to use single-tray processing. I
always hated the pile of prints waiting for
me to tone them -- while tired, usually, so
they'd get dumped in a big wet stack into a
tray of toner. I just really hate that, as
well as washing and drying them to tone at a
later date. When my prints go to the washer
now, they are finished. Well, they only need
drying, flattening, spotting, and if they're
lucky, signing.

an easy cleanup. Dan

Such a pleasure. The gunky buildup inside the
slot processor used to weigh on my mind. It
offset onto the print face a lot more than I
liked. My single tray is easy to clean, but
the real payoff is that it really doesn't get
dirty. No solution is in it for a
particularly long time. Simple rinsing is
fine for the most part, and a plain dish
deterg and rag is about as tough as it gets.

I finally decided the problems associated
with the slot processor, such as the horrid
cleaning problem, were not worth it. I had a
16x20 unit, so reaching down to the bottom to
scrub a half-inch wide slot became a
challenge. I got a scientific gear type brush
on a long wire handle, but the bristle was
only two inches long, so the scrub was time
consuming. I thought about making a piece of
plywood paddle with scratchy fabric like
Velcro hooks or plastic dish scrubbers on
both sides but in the end I just went to the
easiest, cheapest option, which was
single-tray. It's far from time-consuming,
maybe even in comparison with a slot
processor. Maybe it's too cheap to be
attractive ...

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website:
www.heylloyd.com
telephone: 416-686-0326
email:
________________________________

Old November 29th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lloyd Erlick

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 04:16:18 +0000 (UTC),
(Thor Lancelot Simon) wrote:

What is the largest print size you do single-tray? Every time I
have tried this I have had persistent problems with either inadequate
solution volume to cover prints evenly. My experiments with single-
tray have been at 20x24, since I can't really accomodate 4 trays of
that size in my darkroom sink.

November 29, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

Working single-tray, it's easy to change tray
size in a moment. I've become extremely
spoiled because I like 16x20 a lot, but
plenty of times I've wanted to make a 20x24
out of some negative. So plopping the 20x24
tray down is no problem. I haven't tried
anything larger, but I've been thinking about
finding a 24x30 tray. Believe it or not, I'd
like to do four 11x14s at a time!

I usually mix up two liters of developer.
That's more than comfortable on 16x20, and
easily adequate for 20x24. For the other
solutions, which are relatively cheap, I
prepare three liters. For selenium toner,
which is not cheap but at least stores
long-term, I mix around three liters and let
it go down through use a half-liter or so
before topping up.

It seems to me if a seriously large tray were
desired, it could be fabricated with a drain
and shutoff/hose. So it could be as heavy as
needed, rockable on a spindle or something,
and drainable through a hose. All that's
needed would be some small pumps, a bunch of
sensors and a couple of microprocessors, and
a big boxy cover. Put legs on it and send it
out to take pictures.

regards,
--le
________________________________

Old November 29th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lloyd Erlick

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:26:48 +0100, Andrew
Price wrote:

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 08:29:11 -0500, Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire.
dot com wrote:

[---]

I have an article on my website about my use
of single-tray FB print making.

I was pretty sure you did, and before seeing your response, I was
going to look it up to refer it to the OP. but your site seems to be
down at the moment. I keep getting this message:

"This domain name expired on 11/16/2006 and is pending renewal or
deletion"

November 29, 2006, from Lloyd Erlick,

Arghhh...

Thank you, I've just ground a millimeter off
my teeth dealing with that.

Don't waste your time reading this ...

Network Solutions used to just retrieve my
credit card number from their file and renew
the registration when the time came. I have
had heylloyd.com since 1995, and that's how
payment has always gone. But now -- they have
an option to activate Automatic Renewal. I
had never activated it, since I didn't know
it was there. Splat. No pay, no website.

I need a benefactor -- they offer 100 years
of domain name registration for $9.99 a year.

regards,
--le
________________________________

Old November 29th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Michael Sig Birkmose

I finally decided the problems associated
with the slot processor, such as the horrid
cleaning problem, were not worth it. I had a
16x20 unit, so reaching down to the bottom to
scrub a half-inch wide slot became a
challenge. I got a scientific gear type brush
on a long wire handle, but the bristle was
only two inches long, so the scrub was time
consuming. I thought about making a piece of
plywood paddle with scratchy fabric like
Velcro hooks or plastic dish scrubbers on
both sides but in the end I just went to the
easiest, cheapest option, which was
single-tray. It's far from time-consuming,
maybe even in comparison with a slot
processor. Maybe it's too cheap to be
attractive ...

Hi LLoyd,

How often did you need to clean the unit?

Did you ever clean it with novas own products? E.g:

(copy pasted from their website)
Cleaning Brush 28" long Ref: ABRUSH2

Tar Buster Cleaner Kit Ref: ANTAR
Nova Tarbuster is a purpose-made cleaner designed to remove all those
unsightly stains on your processing equipment. Consists of liquid gloves
and sprayhead. A specially formulated alkaline solution which you spray
onto the offending surface. Suitable for cleaning all deep tanks roller
transport racks and all other photographic processing machines. Not bad
around the home too! 600 ml Concentrate - can be diluted.
Old November 29th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:01:35 -0500, Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire.
dot com wrote:

but I've been thinking about finding a 24x30 tray.

I happen to be the current owner of a clawfoot bathub that is about
50" in length in the bottom. ;)

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net
Old November 29th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:15:32 -0500, Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire.
dot com wrote:

I need a benefactor -- they offer 100 years
of domain name registration for $9.99 a year

The must be hoping to cash out of the business.

http://www.godaddy.com

$8.95/year and the hosting I think cost me around $60/year for 60GB.
They even have telephone tech support.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net
Old November 29th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:48:16 -0500, Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire.
dot com wrote:

... How could any
setup be any quicker than A tray.

that's what I say!

As you know, with the Nova you just pop the tubes off and stir the
tanks. I usually cover the slots with Saran wrap prior to inserting
the tubes. Saran wrap stops oxidation and evaporation cold.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net
Old November 29th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:38:31 +0100, Michael Sig Birkmose
wrote:

How often did you need to clean the unit?

Did you ever clean it with novas own products? E.g:

I have the Quad and used it daily for at least 8 years. It has held up
well though I do recommend replacing the hoses immediately upon
purchase. Mine came off and leaked fixer all over the floor of my
third floor apartment

As to cleaning the unit, I used a 10% household bleach mix poured into
the slot and let stand overnight. It always came up sparkling for me.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net
Old November 29th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lloyd Erlick

dot com wrote:

but I've been thinking about finding a 24x30 tray.

I happen to be the current owner of a clawfoot bathub that is about
50" in length in the bottom. ;)

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net

If I used that I'd have to build one of those
tray rockers they always said were the thing.
Out of a Volkswagen windshield wiper motor,
eh?
--le