Darkroom software Help

Old August 6th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

Default Darkroom software Help

We have created some new software for helping to automate some of the
more mundane functions of darkroom enlarging. It's Free to download and
use and were looking for people to help test it. Please check out
www.pachydermdarkroom.com if your interested.

Old August 7th 06, 09:32 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Claudio Bonavolta

a écrit :

We have created some new software for helping to automate some of the
more mundane functions of darkroom enlarging. It's Free to download and
use and were looking for people to help test it. Please check out
www.pachydermdarkroom.com if your interested.

Not bad at all but it is limited to the timer functions only (timer,
test strip and print exposure sequence).
You should add several other functions like:
- exposure meter
- densitometer
- color analyzer
- wet side
- etc ...

Well, a lot of things that are already included he
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/darktools.htm
and it's free ...
The hardware interface is described and people without electronic
skills can ask for it.

I'm pretty happy others are also working on similar projects as I
strongly believe a computer-based system can help a lot in a
traditional darkroom.

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch

Old August 7th 06, 01:04 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Claudio Bonavolta" wrote:

Not bad at all but it is limited to the timer functions only (timer,
test strip and print exposure sequence).
You should add several other functions like:

So much for the target product: TRADITIONAL darkroom tasks. Bloatware is a
disease.

FWIW, it won't run on my laptop. Bombs out looking for DLLs.

Old August 7th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Claudio Bonavolta

j a écrit :

"Claudio Bonavolta" wrote:

Not bad at all but it is limited to the timer functions only (timer,
test strip and print exposure sequence).
You should add several other functions like:

So much for the target product: TRADITIONAL darkroom tasks.

Actually, it just replaces several classic tools used in TRADITIONAL
darkroom.
You may consider these overkill too, others don't.

Bloatware is a disease.

Closed mindness too.

FWIW, it won't run on my laptop. Bombs out looking for DLLs.

Read the page again and you'll find out the drivers that are required
for the dry side program ...

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch

Old August 7th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
[email protected]

Hi, I am the software designer of Pachyderm Darkroom. (Quaker developed
the hardware.) Anyway, I just picked up the previous posts and I think
some of Claudio's ideas will be integrated into future releases of the
program if the current package takes off. Wet side timers have been on
the drawing board for a while, the others will require a lot more
effort to integrate. We need to try to break even though before we
head in this direction.

J, you mentioned that your computer was crashing looking for DLLs.
Were you refering to Pachyderm?

In the mean time, I am looking for beta testers to help shape the
development of Pachyderm (all levels of skill are welcome). Please go
to www.pachydermdarkroom.com if you are interested. We have been
developing this package for about two years and I have been using it my
darkroom for most of that time. (I sold my Graylab electronic timer on
ebay and I only use Pachyderm now.)

We have tried to make it completely accessible to the average computer
user. I think it should be as easy to set up and use as printer or any
other plug and play device. Even if you don't want to be part of the
beta test group I would really appreciate hearing about any comments
you may have.

Thanks,
Jim

Old August 9th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Blacksun67

ha scritto nel messaggio
ups.com...
We have created some new software for helping to automate some of the
more mundane functions of darkroom enlarging. It's Free to download and
use and were looking for people to help test it. Please check out
www.pachydermdarkroom.com if your interested.

I'm sorry, but this working method looks a bit like using a software to
calculate the time and duration of an orgasm in a sexual intercourse......

a darkroom is a darkroom, means it was a darkroom even before pc was born...

Hope not to upset anyone, just wanna read what other people think about this
hybrid.

excuse me for my poor English, ______Luca, Italy

Old August 9th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Claudio Bonavolta

Blacksun67 a écrit :

ha scritto nel messaggio
ups.com...
We have created some new software for helping to automate some of the
more mundane functions of darkroom enlarging. It's Free to download and
use and were looking for people to help test it. Please check out
www.pachydermdarkroom.com if your interested.

I'm sorry, but this working method looks a bit like using a software to
calculate the time and duration of an orgasm in a sexual intercourse......

???

a darkroom is a darkroom, means it was a darkroom even before pc was born....

The first darkrooms used the sun as light source, do you still use the
sun ?
You probably use a timer, why ? Can't you just count ?
All the evolution steps are meant to try to improve quality and/or
comfort and/or efficiency and/or speed. Using a computer to simplify
some darkroom tasks is just another of these basic steps.
Is it worth ? You may decide for yourself.
In my case, yes, my results are consistently better and I obtain them
quicker.

The place where you place the limit between real improvement and
overkill is strongly personal.

I can easily understand someone telling me he likes to work "old-style"
because he prefers the craftmanship approach. I have many friends who
do.
For many it is just a hobby, so, why can't they do it the way they want
?

I don't use split-grade printing, am I obliged to shoot down this
technique in flames ?
I don't use zone system, or so few, can't this technique be useful to
others ?

It is not the tool or the method that is important, it is the way you
master them and the final result you obtain with them.

Hope not to upset anyone, just wanna read what other people think about this
hybrid.

What hybrid ?
The Pachyderm software is just a stop-timer including masking
sequences.
My system is similar with several other tools that are absolutely
traditional in the darkroom.

What hurts you is the evident use of a computer to achieve these tasks.
Embed the same software into a ROM and micro-processor, don't ever use
the word "computer", and everybody is happy. That's the way most modern
timers are built today.

It's funny to see how people immediately associate computer to digital
photography, a forbidden word, a major source of allergy probably, in
most analog newsgroups or mailing-lists today.

And the most funny thing is they all use a computer to post in these
newsgroups ...

It's impressive how a newsgroup like rec.photo.darkroom which was an
outstanding place with people having lots of new ideas, trying to
improve methods and equipment is now just a place with the same old
discussions every week.
Hey, don't post, just go to the archives, the thread is already there.

Regarding hybrid systems, have you seen the result of a true hybrid
system like a Lightjet output onto traditional paper ?
I would really be glad to have such a hybrid at home ...

excuse me for my poor English, ______Luca, Italy

You're welcome, my english is also far from being perfect for the same
reason :-)

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch

Old August 9th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
nathantw

Wow, that's pretty interesting stuff. $300 for something a $0.05 pencil and
paper can do.

ups.com...

Old August 9th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Blacksun67" wrote:

I'm sorry, but this working method looks a bit like using a software to
calculate the time and duration of an orgasm in a sexual intercourse......

a darkroom is a darkroom, means it was a darkroom even before pc was
born...

Hope not to upset anyone, just wanna read what other people think about
this hybrid.

To me it is just plain silly. Darkroom exposure and development is a
no-brainer. I have all the information I need in my head. The math and
methodology is elementary. And the brain doesn't have a screen that fogs
paper, doesn't need batteries, isn't held in some kind of software ransom
deal, and if it crashes, I won't know or care. I feel the same about the
palmtop computer applications for photography. Downright waste of money and
time. And don't even get me going on idiotic things like the Zone VI
'drydown' gadget. It's a no brainer, too.

Now, what I would like to try is whats-his-names FStop timer with a
footswitch. Presently I have a Timeolite calibrated to FStop times.
Constantly resetting it is a pain in the butt. And the omega timer/power
control is just so 'metric'.

Old August 9th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Claudio Bonavolta" :

The first darkrooms used the sun as light source,
do you still use the sun ?

As a matter of fact, I often do.

You probably use a timer, why ? Can't you just count ?

A metronome worked very well for me... before I became deaf.

All the evolution steps are meant to try to improve quality and/or
comfort and/or efficiency and/or speed. Using a computer to simplify
some darkroom tasks is just another of these basic steps.

If you can operate a computer, you are smart enough to use your brain to do
the same things faster.

In my case, yes, my results are consistently better and I obtain them
quicker.

How unfortunate.

The place where you place the limit between real improvement and
overkill is strongly personal.

Translation: "Don't underestimate how silly I want to be."

I don't use split-grade printing, am I obliged to shoot down this
technique in flames ?

Obliged? Why yes you are. Didn't you read the manifesto? Paragraph two:
"tolerance will not be tolerated."

I don't use zone system, or so few, can't this technique be useful to
others ?

You GOTTA read the manifesto! Zonies wrote it!

What hurts you is the evident use of a computer to achieve these tasks.
Embed the same software into a ROM and micro-processor, don't ever use
the word "computer", and everybody is happy. That's the way most modern
timers are built today.

Really! Of my three timers, two are pure analog. The third is a POS.

It's funny to see how people immediately associate computer to digital
photography, a forbidden word [...]

LOL!

And the most funny thing is they all use a computer to post in these
newsgroups ...

Irrelevant.

Regarding hybrid systems, have you seen the result of a true hybrid
system like a Lightjet output onto traditional paper ?
I would really be glad to have such a hybrid at home ...

I would like you to have one, too.