Book

Old January 24th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Book

UC wrote:
I'm VERY single. Does that give you a clue?

I would have been surprised if it were otherwise.

Scott

Old January 24th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

UC wrote:
Tom Gardner nospam wrote:
"UC" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been writing about this here and in other forums for quite some
time. It is an extremely unpopular stance to take today. My own work of
late has been aimed squarely at documenting the old manufacturing sites
in my home town, and some of the people I find in the areas where these
factories used to be.

It's MUCH harder to do this than to find a pretty scene, and I don't
mean physically difficult. It's harder to distill the essence of a
situation into what HCB called the 'decisive moment', a phrase often
misunderstood. What he meant was a photo that captures enough of the
surroundings that what is happening or about to happen can be
understood.

I think the best use of photography lies precisely in capturing the
essence of the moment. To me this is so obvious that I have great deal
of difficulty understanding the dismissal of it, and the condescension
on the part of the large-format zonazis, for whom anything other than a
20 x 24 inch toned zoan cistern print of a waterfall is a meaningless
piece of crap.

If these people can get their heads out of their rectums for a
nanosecond, they will see that their so-called 'fine-art' prints will
be forgotten almost instantly, whereas the capture of life's sometimes
most mundane moments creates irreplaceable treasures.

For this work, why are you exposing film? I'm not being a smart ass, it
just is my thought that documentary, reporting, sports and such subjects
where content is the focus rather than vision, is the realm of digital.

HUH? I don't understand you at all. I have a camera, film, and
darkroom, and I know how to use them. I want my images to last, so I
shoot B&W.

Not
meaning to start a religious war but, how much "interpretation" is in your
images rather than pure documentation?

Some. I want to do this project on a long-term basis. No-one else would
do it in exactly the same way.

Not to say there isn't a crossover
as even Adams said that the next evolution in photography will be
electronic. I'd bet anything that if he were around today, he'd be a
"Photo-chopper" in addition to burning silver.

What difference does it make to someone 100 years from now if the print
he holds was made with a negative or from a file?

Silver is used for what silver does, which is different than what CCD's do
and different than what the eye sees. My opinion is that the craftsman uses
whatever medium at his command to best accomplish a goal so you have to
admit that you are doing more than just "documenting" things or you have WAY
too much time on your hands. Why are you exposing film?

See above. I like film. I'm good at it. I'm used to it. I want them to
keep making it. I want others to keep using it.

You want to see an old manufacturing plant? I still have leather belted
overhead shafts in my 100+ year old building, lit moodily by skylights. I
even have ghosts!

Mike, your insistence that things are as you decree them to be can be
amusing when others take you seriously, and become enflamed, but mostly
it's just childish and boring. It is obvious that you've read somewhere
an argument that photography isn't art, and have decided to champion
that position, probably because you feel that it distinguishes you in
some way. You really are very transparent, and not as controversial as
you pretend. Good luck with your delapidated factory project; it's been
done to death, but maybe your sense of time and place will distinguish
your work from the crowd.

Jay

Old January 24th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

HUH? I don't understand you at all. I have a camera, film, and
darkroom, and I know how to use them. I want my images to last, so I
shoot B&W.

So, it's the medium at your command, but you have to admit there is a big
percentage of interpretation in your work. You're "using" film for the
properties of film and you're in your comfort zone. Interesting point about
longevity of images, there's no way to really archive digital.

Understand that from my perspective, I have to use digital images daily to
document and communicate to my customers and my film is strictly delegated
to vision and interpretation...just a different philosophy and for me,
different boxes. I can't knock the zone-heads or the byte-heads or anybody
else. I envy anybody that's on a path. My point is that your work is still
mostly in your head where pure documentation is mostly just the finished
image.

Old January 24th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

'Interpretation' in my case is minimal.

Silver prints are just about the longest-lived print media available.

I'll be glad to send you some things I shot Saturday. Scans of B&W
prints.

Old January 24th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"UC" wrote in message
oups.com...

'Interpretation' in my case is minimal.

I don't believe you!

Silver prints are just about the longest-lived print media available.

I'll be glad to send you some things I shot Saturday. Scans of B&W
prints.

Please!

Old January 25th 06, 08:30 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:41:21 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

For this work, why are you exposing film? I'm not being a smart ass, it
just is my thought that documentary, reporting, sports and such subjects
where content is the focus rather than vision, is the realm of digital.

???? The digital realm is right in front of you. It's called a
"computer".

==
John - Photographer & Webmaster
www.puresilver.org - www.xs750.net
Old January 25th 06, 08:35 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On 24 Jan 2006 08:25:25 -0800, "Scott W" wrote:

Some of your ideas have merit, but your people skills are shall we say
a bit on the weak side.

Scott

If we're being polite than I would say "neglected" is closer to the
mark. Weak implie a natural failing. Neglected clarifies that one is
aware of this failing and will do nothing about it.

==
Old January 25th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

All my life I've been known as a ruthelessly honest person. I am also
not easily fooled, coerced, or intimidated.

On my first writing assignment in English class in my freshman year at
college, I used the spelling 'judgement'. It came back with a big red
line through it, and the words BRITISH SPELLING in bright red letters.
I had to show the instructor, in an AMERICAN dictionary, that the
spelling 'judgement'. is an alternative American spelling for
'judgment'. I MADE her withdraw the comment and change my grade.

Ever since, I have used the spelling 'judgement' out of spite. The
spelling 'judgment' just looks stupid to me. What English sound is made
by 'dgm'? What other English words have three consonants in a row?

Some people are a bit too haughty for their own good. They need to be
taken down a notch..or two...or three..or four...