question about chemical developers

Old December 23rd 04, 03:19 PM
Beppe Alborč

Default question about chemical developers

hi.
i was reading the safety sheets of some development chemicals products for
film and for papers.
in every sheet that i've read, there's always a paragraph like this :

"Irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin. Limited evidence of a
carcinogenic effect. May
cause sensitisation by skin contact. Possible risk of irreversible effects.
Carcinogen Category 3.
Mutagen Category 3."

do you know if it's possible to find safe development products, without the
risk of carcinogenic effects ?
i've heard that there are some ecological developers, without a substance
called "hidroquinone".
do you think these products without hidroquinone can be safe from this point
of view (i mean, without the risk of carcinogenic effects ) ?

please, let me know, thanks !!!

Old December 23rd 04, 04:18 PM
Nick Zentena

"Beppe Albor?" wrote:
hi.
i was reading the safety sheets of some development chemicals products for
film and for papers.
in every sheet that i've read, there's always a paragraph like this :

"Irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin. Limited evidence of a
carcinogenic effect. May
cause sensitisation by skin contact. Possible risk of irreversible effects.
Carcinogen Category 3.
Mutagen Category 3."

do you know if it's possible to find safe development products, without the
risk of carcinogenic effects ?
i've heard that there are some ecological developers, without a substance
called "hidroquinone".
do you think these products without hidroquinone can be safe from this point
of view (i mean, without the risk of carcinogenic effects ) ?

First of all everything is dangerous. Don't drink the stuff. Don't take a
bath in it. Some developers use Ascorbic Acid [Vitamin C] in place of
Hydroquine. That should be safer.

I'll bet your house is full of stuff more dangerous then your
photochemicals. The important thing is safe handling.

Nick
Old December 23rd 04, 04:46 PM
Claudio Bonavolta

"Beppe Alborč" wrote in message
hi.
i was reading the safety sheets of some development chemicals products for
film and for papers.
in every sheet that i've read, there's always a paragraph like this :

"Irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin. Limited evidence of a
carcinogenic effect. May
cause sensitisation by skin contact. Possible risk of irreversible effects.
Carcinogen Category 3.
Mutagen Category 3."

do you know if it's possible to find safe development products, without the
risk of carcinogenic effects ?
i've heard that there are some ecological developers, without a substance
called "hidroquinone".
do you think these products without hidroquinone can be safe from this point
of view (i mean, without the risk of carcinogenic effects ) ?

please, let me know, thanks !!!

Hydroquinone is considered a carcinogen now. It has been used, and still be used, widely.
If you don't put constantly your hands in liquid developers, don't breathe the dust from powder
developers and work in a ventilated area, I consider these risks close to nil ...
Hydroquinone is not the only hazardous chemical in a darkroom but using simple prevention habits
limits the risk to the minimum.
By the way, I'm sure you have household products that are certainly more dangerous than the great
majority of the common photographic chemicals.

There are developers more environment friendly like the developers using Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)
as main development agent.
The most common is XTol, used for films and this a great developer, my favourite for nearly all
films from low to medium-high sensitivity.
For papers, Agfa Neutol Plus also uses Vitamin C.
These not the only ones.
There are also formulas on the web using Vitamin C if you want to mix them from scratch, just do a
Google search.

Un salutone,
--
Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch

Old December 23rd 04, 04:58 PM
Mike King

I am neither a chemist, an environmentalist or a doctor but here is my
personal take and opinion, backed up by 30 years in the darkroom. MSDS
sheets are written by lawyers and are full of "CYA" (Cover Your A**).
There are MSDS sheets for water and Oxygen both of which are essential for
life but that can be hazardous when used incorrectly. And that new items
get added to the mutagenic and carcinogenic lists all the time. Here is a
link to a "worst case" MSDS for Dihydrogen Monoxide (aka water)
http://www.hsegroup.com/hse/text/water.htm

Having said that, keep in mind that if you limit your exposure to these
substances you should be OK, Hydroquinone is used in some topical skin
cremes but the MSDS warns about skin exposure! Metol used to be considered
the "baddie", older literature had a lot to say about "metol poisoning" it's
been found the problem was caused by impurities rather than Metol.

I use tongs when processing prints but will reach into a tray when a print
gets stuck, I just wash my hands after I do it. I don't smoke (talk about
your carcinogens!) and advise against smoking in the darkroom, other than
the smoke film on everything in the darkroom there's that whole hand to
mouth thing. I won't eat in the darkroom either for the same
reason--besides a break to get a snack in the middle of a session is smart
anyway--gets you out into fresh air for a few minutes.

So here are my rules:

Don't eat, drink or smoke in the darkroom. If you smoke, you've already
been exposed to more carcinogens that you will experience in a lifetime in
the darkroom. Probably also true if you eat a lot of red meat or barbeque!

Use tongs for prints.

Frequently wash your hands! If you wear gloves, wash them frequently, too.

Mix chemicals in another room, the dust is bad for you and your sensitized
materials, too.

Mix chemicals from liquid concentrates or if you mix from dry or bulk
components wear a simple dust mask; a respirator and good ventilation is
recommended for strong organic compounds like acetic acid.

Use eye protection, gloves and a mask when mixing.

Understand and use all chemical handling precautions, read the product
labels, always add acids to water not the reverse, dilution of strong acids
and bases require special techniques and extra care; Glacial Acetic acid,
concentrated ammonia and sodium/potassium hydroxide are especially nasty and
should not be attempted without understanding the extra precautions
required. Be especially careful when compounding old formulas that use
heavy metals or really toxic, nasty metallic salts. Mercury, selenium
metal, mercuric chloride, sodium dichromate (or bichromate in old
literature) come to mind but there's a lot of other nasty chemicals out
there, too. There are a lot of really good chemists that are on this list
(much better than me) if in doubt query the group.

Wipe down your counters and clean your equipment immediately, whenever you
use it, clean your counters after mixing chemicals, clean up all spills
immediately, chemicals in solution are much easier to clear up than dried-on
crud.

Install good ventilation.

Don't even think about using a mercury thermometer!

Take frequent breaks away from the darkroom.

Have GFCI outlets installed in your darkroom and adequate safelighting.

Rubber floor mats are non-slip and good for your feet and back. Clean them
frequently and the floor beneath your mats.

If you MUST use safer products try Xtol film developer or others made with
ascorbic acid/sodium ascorbate, D-23 uses only Metol no hydroquinone, use
citric acid stop baths (or none), use alkaline fixers or fixers made from
sodium thiosulfate rather than ammonium. Paper developers with phenidone
rather than Metol (Ilford Bromophen or Multigrade Developer come to mind).

--
darkroommike

----------

Old December 23rd 04, 05:24 PM
Gregory Blank

"Mike King" wrote:

I am neither a chemist, an environmentalist or a doctor but here is my
personal take and opinion, backed up by 30 years in the darkroom. MSDS
sheets are written by lawyers and are full of "CYA" (Cover Your A**).
There are MSDS sheets for water and Oxygen both of which are essential for
life but that can be hazardous when used incorrectly. And that new items
get added to the mutagenic and carcinogenic lists all the time. Here is a
link to a "worst case" MSDS for Dihydrogen Monoxide (aka water)
http://www.hsegroup.com/hse/text/water.htm

Snip other good stuff

As well thought out and defined as that is, you should save it and
repost it when ever the question or a similar one reappears :-)

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old December 23rd 04, 05:27 PM

I have never used ruber gloves and I put my hands in paper developer
all the time. No problem!

Old December 23rd 04, 06:20 PM
Jim Phelps

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have never used ruber gloves and I put my hands in paper developer
all the time. No problem!

Uhmm,

That would be 'Rubber' gloves. Maybe one has something to do with the
other;~))

Old December 23rd 04, 07:02 PM

My fingurs don't reed two weel eithre!