Not a red eye problem

Old December 18th 04, 08:01 AM
Bosco

Default Not a red eye problem

I have a Canon Powershot S50 5MP. My problem is when taking pictures of my
dog, his eyes in the photo end up white gold looking instead of black.
White instead of red eye that I have read about. The only success I have
had is shots taken with his head turned to the side as any photos shot
straight on are awful. Any help or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks

Old December 18th 04, 08:08 AM
ZONED!

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 08:01:35 GMT, "Bosco"
wrote:

I have a Canon Powershot S50 5MP. My problem is when taking pictures of my
dog, his eyes in the photo end up white gold looking instead of black.
White instead of red eye that I have read about. The only success I have
had is shots taken with his head turned to the side as any photos shot
straight on are awful. Any help or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks

It is the same principle as red eye. both are avoided by either
bouncing the flash or moving it further away from the lens thus
creating more of an angle for less reflection. Any pre-flash red eye
reduction is designed for humans to contract the pupils allowing for
much less reflections. I find they do not do the job with animals.
Old December 18th 04, 10:46 AM
Toy

"Bosco" wrote in message
I have a Canon Powershot S50 5MP. My problem is when taking pictures of my
dog, his eyes in the photo end up white gold looking instead of black.
White instead of red eye that I have read about. The only success I have
had is shots taken with his head turned to the side as any photos shot
straight on are awful. Any help or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks

make him wear sun glasses plus he'll look real cool

toy

Old December 18th 04, 11:16 AM
Joseph Meehan

Bosco wrote:
I have a Canon Powershot S50 5MP. My problem is when taking pictures
of my dog, his eyes in the photo end up white gold looking instead of
black. White instead of red eye that I have read about. The only
success I have had is shots taken with his head turned to the side as
any photos shot straight on are awful. Any help or suggestions would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It is just a a more extreme case of red eye. Same solutions. Many
animals have more of a problem than humans due to the construction of their
eyes.

Best bet here is to get the flash off the camera or don't use flash.
The closer the source of light is to the camera the more you will see the
problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old December 18th 04, 01:11 PM
Mick Brown

It is the same as red eye, animal retina's can be a different colour to
human. The red in red eye is caused by the light reflecting off a red
retina of the human eye.

Old December 18th 04, 02:12 PM
secheese

wrote:

I have a Canon Powershot S50 5MP. My problem is when taking pictures of my
dog, his eyes in the photo end up white gold looking instead of black.
White instead of red eye that I have read about. The only success I have
had is shots taken with his head turned to the side as any photos shot
straight on are awful. Any help or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks

Animals that reflect white or greenish white off their retinas have
excellent low-light vision. You would take the same measures you
would for red eye, in people, to correct for this effect.