Looking to buy digital slr

Old April 4th 05, 09:36 PM
\\\\\\

Default Looking to buy digital slr

Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.
Thanks
Pete

--
remove xxx from email to reply

Old April 4th 05, 09:49 PM
Ben Rosengart

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:36:29 GMT, """""" wrote:
Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.

It would help if you explained what your criteria are.

Nikon's probably going to release another DSLR or two soonish --
both the D70 and the D100 are getting old, especially the D100.
I'm a big fan of buying what one needs when one needs it and damn
the release cycle, but depending on your situation, you might find
it worthwhile to wait.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall
Old April 4th 05, 10:59 PM
Randy W. Sims

"""""" wrote:
Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.
Thanks
Pete

After several months of research and hanging around the various forums,
I picked up a D70 about 2 weeks ago. I love it. It's about a half
generation ahead of the D100, though a little less feature-full in some
areas. But that's mostly minor stuff to me as this is my first dSLR.
There will be a D50 soonish(?) that may offer a lower entry point, but I
don't know what will be sacrificed feature-wise. I don't expect a next
generation D70/D100 until at least the latter half of the year, maybe as
late as fall/winter, but that is just a guess (and my predictions are
more often wrong than right).

As is often said here, the best camera is the one in your hands. And
after waiting three months to get mine, I heartily agree.

Randy.
Old April 4th 05, 11:02 PM
Howard McCollister

"Ben Rosengart" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:36:29 GMT, """""" wrote:
Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.

It would help if you explained what your criteria are.

Nikon's probably going to release another DSLR or two soonish --
both the D70 and the D100 are getting old, especially the D100.
I'm a big fan of buying what one needs when one needs it and damn
the release cycle, but depending on your situation, you might find
it worthwhile to wait.

The D70s is already acknowledged by Nikon, as is the D50.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0503/05...kond50real.asp
http://www.infodigitalcamera.com/
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-6465-7712

Lots of new Nikon dSLRs in the pipeline these days...seems like a bad time
to buy old technology unless you can get it for a stellar price.

HMc

Old April 5th 05, 01:03 AM
\\\\\\

My criteria?
Need good skin tones,
low ISO,
sync socket so I can use it with my big old ascor studio strobes.
Fast writing to the compact flash or hard drive.
Fast booting up, my Olympus e10 takes forever.
Make large blowups
Thanks
Pete

Old April 5th 05, 01:25 AM
Ben Rosengart

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:03:42 GMT, """""" wrote:
My criteria?
Need good skin tones,
low ISO,
sync socket so I can use it with my big old ascor studio strobes.
Fast writing to the compact flash or hard drive.
Fast booting up, my Olympus e10 takes forever.
Make large blowups

I don't want to start a brand war -- but the two Nikon models you
mentioned are not the only DSLRs that fulfill those requirements.

Color rendition will have as much to do with your workflow as with
the camera. For "low ISO" (why?) Nikon is not your best bet, they
only go down to 200. In terms of speed, I am pretty sure that some
of the newer models out there beat the D70 and D100. (Whatever you
end up with, make sure you buy an appropriate CF card, as that can
also limit the speed of various operations.)

For large blowups, use good glass and either short shutter speeds
or a tripod. The extra pixels in an 8MP camera wouldn't hurt either.

If it doesn't bust your budget and you're not committed to the Nikon
lens mount, you might look at a Canon 20D. I just checked, and it
does have a PC sync socket. I have one of these. Sometimes I get
impatient waiting for the CF card when I am reviewing pictures, but
that might be my choice of CF card. Booting is nearly instantaneous.

Old April 5th 05, 02:01 AM
Jeremy Nixon

\"\"\"\"\"\" wrote:

Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.

D70 is better than D100 unless you happen to need one of the few things
the D100 has that the D70 doesn't. The replacement for it is coming
along soon, but it's a very minor update, so you might even take advantage
of that and see if you can get a better price on a D70. It's a great
camera.

--
Jeremy |
Old April 5th 05, 02:05 AM
Jeremy Nixon

Ben Rosengart wrote:

In terms of speed, I am pretty sure that some of the newer models out
there beat the D70 and D100. (Whatever you end up with, make sure you
buy an appropriate CF card, as that can also limit the speed of various
operations.)

Unless you're shooting sports or something, the D70 is plenty fast even
with a bog-standard, non-high-speed CF card. You don't have to wait to
take the next shot, and the startup is instant. I don't have any kind
of high-speed CF card in mine, and I've never had to wait for the
camera at all. It's very fast.

If it doesn't bust your budget and you're not committed to the Nikon
lens mount, you might look at a Canon 20D.

Definitely. If you have no lenses, now is the time to figure out which
brand you want to go with. The lenses you get will last you much longer
than the camera itself.

--
Jeremy |
Old April 5th 05, 03:11 AM
Gregory Blank

Jeremy Nixon wrote:

\"\"\"\"\"\" wrote:

Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.

D70 is better than D100 unless you happen to need one of the few things
the D100 has that the D70 doesn't. The replacement for it is coming
along soon, but it's a very minor update, so you might even take advantage
of that and see if you can get a better price on a D70. It's a great
camera.

Don't know if 2 additional mp can be called a minor update.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old April 5th 05, 03:14 AM
Gregory Blank

In article yBk4e.4318$7b.4257@trndny06,
"\"\"\"\"\"\"" wrote:

My criteria?
Need good skin tones,
low ISO,

D70- ISO 200

sync socket so I can use it with my big old ascor studio strobes.

D70 Not there but you can add it to the hot shoe.

Fast writing to the compact flash or hard drive.

D70 is fast.

Fast booting up, my Olympus e10 takes forever.
Make large blowups

How large, "Enlargements"

Thanks
Pete

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918