*Frame* Rate vs. *Refresh* Rate

Old July 6th 07, 06:29 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.video,uk.tech.broadcast
Radium[_2_]

Default *Frame* Rate vs. *Refresh* Rate

Hi:

What is the difference between "frame rate" and "refresh rate"?

Is it best for the frame rate to have a frequency the same as the
power supply [60 Hz in USA/Canada, 50 Hz in Europe/Asia]? Is this true
even if the video is digital and played through a digital plasma
screen?

In digital video, how is the sample rate mathematically related to the
frame rate?

In digital video, how is the sample rate mathematically related to the
refresh rate?

Thanks,

Radium

Old July 6th 07, 07:38 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.video,uk.tech.broadcast
Jürgen Exner

Radium wrote:
What is the difference between "frame rate" and "refresh rate"?

I am not aware that they are related in any way.

The highest frame rate of any DSLRs that I am aware of is 10 frames per
second on high-end Canon SRLs. According to Ct (which in turn cited sources
in Canon corporation) this frame rate is artificially lowered because at
many venues a higher fps rate is considered filming and the fees are
significantly higher than for photography.

On the other hand the only refresh rate that comes to my mind would be the
time until a flash can fire again.

Is it best for the frame rate to have a frequency the same as the
power supply [60 Hz in USA/Canada, 50 Hz in Europe/Asia]? Is this true
even if the video is digital and played through a digital plasma
screen?

Huuu? Where do you find a DSLR with a frame rate of 60 fps? That's nuts.

In digital video, how is the sample rate mathematically related to the
frame rate?
In digital video, how is the sample rate mathematically related to the
refresh rate?

Huuuu? What does digital video have to do with SLR cameras?

jue

Old July 6th 07, 07:57 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.video,uk.tech.broadcast
[email protected]

On Jul 5, 11:38 pm, "Jürgen Exner" wrote:
Radium wrote:
What is the difference between "frame rate" and "refresh rate"?

I am not aware that they are related in any way.

The highest frame rate of any DSLRs that I am aware of is 10 frames per
second on high-end Canon SRLs. According to Ct (which in turn cited sources
in Canon corporation) this frame rate is artificially lowered because at
many venues a higher fps rate is considered filming and the fees are
significantly higher than for photography.

That's really interesting... because I have a Canon Powershot A530,
and the manual (which is for both the A530 and A540) mentions that the
A540 can shoot 640x480, 30fps, and 320x240, 30fps.

My A530 can only shoot at 20 fps at 320x240 (or 10 fps at 640x480).
Using Nero's VCD Burning Tools, I was able to create a Video CD that
would play on my DVD player... video was a bit jerky, though.

Makes me wonder whether I should just get an A540 (smaller), or
actually buy a digital camcorder next time...

Old July 6th 07, 08:04 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.video,uk.tech.broadcast
Alan[_7_]

In article . com Radium writes:
Hi:

What is the difference between "frame rate" and "refresh rate"?

One is how fast information frames come, one is how fast the screen is
refreshed.

Is it best for the frame rate to have a frequency the same as the
power supply [60 Hz in USA/Canada, 50 Hz in Europe/Asia]? Is this true
even if the video is digital and played through a digital plasma
screen?

Not really. It helps in reducing the visibility of hum bars if all three
are the same, but power supplies are way better now, so that is of little
import.

Yes, it is unimportant even if the video is digital and shown on plasma.

In digital video, how is the sample rate mathematically related to the
frame rate?

By an integer multiple.

In digital video, how is the sample rate mathematically related to the
refresh rate?

What makes you think it is?

Alan
Old July 6th 07, 08:30 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.video,uk.tech.broadcast
Dr Hfuhruhurr

Radium wrote:
What is the difference between "frame rate" and "refresh rate"?

I am not aware that they are related in any way.

The highest frame rate of any DSLRs that I am aware of is 10 frames
per second on high-end Canon SRLs. According to Ct (which in turn
cited sources in Canon corporation) this frame rate is artificially
lowered because at many venues a higher fps rate is considered
filming and the fees are significantly higher than for photography.

That's really interesting... because I have a Canon Powershot A530,
and the manual (which is for both the A530 and A540) mentions that the
A540 can shoot 640x480, 30fps, and 320x240, 30fps.

My A530 can only shoot at 20 fps at 320x240 (or 10 fps at 640x480).

Well, but how many professional photographers are out there using a
Powershot for their work?

jue

That confused me too but look at where the question has been
crossposted and its obvious the OP is erm... clutching at straws for
an answer.

Doc

Old July 6th 07, 12:53 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.video,uk.tech.broadcast
contrex

On 6 Jul, 08:30, Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:

That confused me too but look at where the question has been
crossposted and its obvious the OP is erm... clutching at straws for
an answer.

What baffles me is how does he type wearing a straitjacket?

Old July 6th 07, 03:14 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.video,uk.tech.broadcast
Flasherly

On Jul 6, 1:29 am, Radium wrote:

In digital video, how is the sample rate mathematically related to the
frame rate?

Twice. 24 to 48 for high motion film or field rates using two stops at
each frame. As applied interlacing, and apart from detail,
deinterlaced line rates are accountable for a multiple again twice
over to equal perceived smoothness.

In digital video, how is the sample rate mathematically related to the
refresh rate?

Depends on the digital video card capabilities and whether or not it's
limited to the vertical sync of the monitor. A monitor maximum sync
at 60Hz isn't going to help a card capable of rendering 100 frames a
second, so it's a parity function while within specification limits of
the hardware.

Old July 6th 07, 03:31 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.video,uk.tech.broadcast

On 6 Jul, 12:53, contrex wrote:
On 6 Jul, 08:30, Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:

That confused me too but look at where the question has been
crossposted and its obvious the OP is erm... clutching at straws for
an answer.

What baffles me is how does he type wearing a straitjacket?

Crayon in mouth. It's common practice. Apparently.

Doc

Old July 7th 07, 01:12 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.video,uk.tech.broadcast
Gene E. Bloch

On 7/06/2007, Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim bus stop F'tang
F'tang Olé Biscuitbarrel posted this:
On 6 Jul, 12:53, contrex wrote:
On 6 Jul, 08:30, Dr Hfuhruhurr wrote:

That confused me too but look at where the question has been
crossposted and its obvious the OP is erm... clutching at straws for
an answer.

What baffles me is how does he type wearing a straitjacket?

Crayon in mouth. It's common practice. Apparently.

Doc

I see that you guys already know Radium :-)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251