SIDE BY SIDE - D70 vs Rebel XT/350D

Old March 7th 05, 05:13 PM
Don F

"JohnR66" wrote in message
The Nikon lens is 3x the price. It had better be superior. I've not seen
image quality comparisons. From my experience, the Canon zoom has been
very good in image quality given the price.
John

----------
Lens quality is not (should not) be related to price. There are
measurement parameters that suggest the lens is of high quality and, if
photos taken under adverse lighting conditions prove the quality of the
lens, then it may be safe to assume the lens is good. I would guess that
*any* lens used at the optimum aperture under good lighting conditions will
provide good results.
There are high priced lenses that don't make it and there are lower priced
lenses that are excellent if you consider fixed FL lenses. The Nikon 50 mm
f1.8 at ~$100 (US) is an example of an good inexpensive lens. I am not
familiar with Canon lenses but I think the Canon 50 mm lens also fits this
category.
Regards,
Don F

Old March 7th 05, 05:18 PM
Dragan Cvetkovic

"Don F" writes:

There are high priced lenses that don't make it and there are lower priced
lenses that are excellent if you consider fixed FL lenses. The Nikon 50 mm
f1.8 at ~$100 (US) is an example of an good inexpensive lens. I am not
familiar with Canon lenses but I think the Canon 50 mm lens also fits this
category.

Well, 50mm lens is a very simple lens and its optimal design has been known
for a number of years. It's zoom lenses and extreme FL (in both directions)
where the design get tricky and where the higher price (usually) means a
better quality.

Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

Old March 7th 05, 05:31 PM
Don F

"Dragan Cvetkovic" wrote in message
Well, 50mm lens is a very simple lens and its optimal design has been
known for a number of years. It's zoom lenses and extreme FL (in both
directions) where the design get tricky and where the higher price
(usually) means a better quality.

Dragan
--

You are correct, of course, and I probable should have said simply that
price should not be a criteria for lens performance -- good or bad (IMHO).

Old March 7th 05, 05:33 PM
Paul Bielec

Steven M. Scharf wrote:
"Sander Vesik" wrote in message

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Brian C. Baird wrote:

In article , says...

http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...sRebelXT.shtml

Kind of ridiculous to compare a $99 lens with a nearly $300 one and base
your judgment on the camera heavily on that.

But both are the normal kit lens that the majority of first-timers will

buy

the camera with, no? So it is a comparison not so much of camera bodies

but

kits, but what percentage of buyers will understand the difference? After
all, there is no use in buying the camera without lens for them.

Canon is simply doing its usual 'low price at all costs' thing.

The 18-55 kit lens is not a super low end lens like Canon used to promote
with the film Rebel (28-80).

If anyone is trying to de-feature based on price, it's Nikon. It's
inexcusable to not have mirror lock-up, it's just a firmware issue, and they
omitted it to try to move people to a more expensive model. Similarly, the
lack of a vertical grip connection is another de-contenting move to try to
force consumers to move up to the D100. They remind me of how some car
manufacturers have certain options only available on the most expensive
sub-model (Honda is famous for this). Kudos to Canon for not leaving
important features off of its amateur product.

Keep in mind that 300D and D70 are the bottom of the line models.
Yet, because their price is much higher than film models, everybody
seems to expect to have them loaded with features that are normally not
available on a Rebel or F55/F60.
Old March 7th 05, 05:44 PM
adm

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
ink.net...
If anyone is trying to de-feature based on price, it's Nikon. It's
inexcusable to not have mirror lock-up, it's just a firmware issue, and
they
omitted it to try to move people to a more expensive model. Similarly, the
lack of a vertical grip connection is another de-contenting move to try to
force consumers to move up to the D100. They remind me of how some car
manufacturers have certain options only available on the most expensive
sub-model (Honda is famous for this). Kudos to Canon for not leaving
important features off of its amateur product.

Ummmm.....what about spot metering and fast flash sync ?

For me, those are far more useful than mirror lock up.

For me.

Old March 7th 05, 06:38 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"adm" wrote in message

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message

Ummmm.....what about spot metering and fast flash sync ?

The D70 is an anomaly in terms of the fast flash sync, even the D2X doesn't
have the fast flash sync. It's a real advantage to the D70, but it wasn't
like Canon decided to decontent it out of the EOS-350D in order to get
people to go to a model that has it.

The spot metering is a real issue. I don't know if the Canon processor can't
do it, or what. It isn't in the 20D either.

The lack of mirror lock-up is just decontenting. They do lock up the mirror
for sensor cleaning, so the capability is there.

Old March 7th 05, 06:47 PM
Sander Vesik

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Steven M. Scharf wrote:

"Sander Vesik" wrote in message
In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Bill wrote:

It's too bad Canon didn't have an 18-70 or similar lense to compare with
the Nikkor 18-70. Now that I think about it, I'd like to see Canon come
out with a non-IS version of their 17-85 with the same optical quality,
as it would be a good everyday lense for a good price. It would be an
excellent starter lense for the Rebel series and 20D too.

The problem is more that while Nikon bundles essentialy a L glass

equvalent
with D70, Canon bundles low quality lens - something you wouldn't really
want to keep if you already hadlens and were intersted in quality. The

Nikon
one would be a keeper either ways.

Neither of those statements are true. The Nikon lens has been crticized for
build quality and vignetting, the Canon lens has been criticiszed for being
too soft at the edges. They are both mid-level lenses. The Nikon has a metal

There is no reasonable definition of mid-level such that both of the
lens would fit in it.

mount, and a wider range, which makes some people think that it is better
than it really is. The difference is that the Canon lens, at $100

No. The difference is very much about optical performance.

difference, is a no-brainer, but the Nikon lens at $300 difference is
something to consider more carefully.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old March 7th 05, 06:48 PM
adm

"adm" wrote in message

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message

Ummmm.....what about spot metering and fast flash sync ?

The D70 is an anomaly in terms of the fast flash sync, even the D2X
doesn't
have the fast flash sync. It's a real advantage to the D70, but it wasn't
like Canon decided to decontent it out of the EOS-350D in order to get
people to go to a model that has it.

It's a great feature to have. I use it quite a lot.

The spot metering is a real issue. I don't know if the Canon processor
can't
do it, or what. It isn't in the 20D either.

It's strange - I wonder why Canon don't do it....

The fast flash sync and the spot metering were two of the main things that
made me buy Nikon over Canon last year. As I had no major investment in
glass at the time, it just made sense. The other key things I made the
choice on were the faster/for longer shooting capabilities and the general
feel of the camera.

The lack of mirror lock-up is just decontenting. They do lock up the
mirror
for sensor cleaning, so the capability is there.

True. I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be a firmware hack for this
though...

Old March 7th 05, 07:15 PM
Sander Vesik

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Paul Bielec wrote:
Keep in mind that 300D and D70 are the bottom of the line models.
Yet, because their price is much higher than film models, everybody
seems to expect to have them loaded with features that are normally not
available on a Rebel or F55/F60.

D70 isn't underfeatured compared to F75 (its ridiculous to compare it to
compare it to the real barrel-bottom F55). D70 is fairly comparable to
F80, though missing out on some features and more advanced on others,
which is not even close to low end.

The problem is more that Nikon doesn't presently have a real low-end DSLR.
--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old March 7th 05, 09:04 PM
adm

"John A. Stovall" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 23:30:16 GMT, "ian lincoln"
wrote:

snipped
considering the main selling point of the canon is its 8mp sensor putting
an
inferior lens on the front seems pointless.

Why bother buying one with a kit lens? In putting together my Canon
20D system. I just bought the body and then added the lens(es) I
wanted which would meet my needs.

I don't understand why any one wouldn't just buy a body and not get
the best lenses for their needs rather than what the manufacturer put
on it.

I would go as far as to say anyone buying a 20D and not knowing enough
to pick a lenses doesn't need to be buying one but rather needs to be
learning more about the basics of photography.

That's true, but many potential buyers will have lots of cash, not much
knowledge about lenses and a love for all things shiny.

I'd imagine that's true of probably at least half the market for the low end
dSLRs.