Full frame Fisheye on a DX sensor

Old May 15th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bob

Default Full frame Fisheye on a DX sensor

Hi . I have recently moved over to digital. My problem is I have a full
frame Nikon fisheye lens 16mm F2.8 AFD , Its designed for a 35mm film
camera (FF) it projects an image that has a field of view of 180degress
across the diagonal of the 35mm frame(FF).
this Lens is desigend to give emense distortion. Only straight lines that go
through the centre of the frame are not distorted.

Now I have tried this lens on a Digital camera witha DX Aps-C size sensor .
of course the sensor crops the image thrown by my fisheye lens. with
noticable barrel distortion . does Nikon Catpure NX correct this distortion
or can any reasonable priced software correct it. .. so I can use this
lens as a corrected wide angle lens...

Old May 15th 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Focus

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi . I have recently moved over to digital. My problem is I have a full
frame Nikon fisheye lens 16mm F2.8 AFD , Its designed for a 35mm film
camera (FF) it projects an image that has a field of view of 180degress
across the diagonal of the 35mm frame(FF).
this Lens is desigend to give emense distortion. Only straight lines that
go through the centre of the frame are not distorted.

Now I have tried this lens on a Digital camera witha DX Aps-C size sensor
. of course the sensor crops the image thrown by my fisheye lens. with
noticable barrel distortion . does Nikon Catpure NX correct this
distortion or can any reasonable priced software correct it. .. so I can
use this lens as a corrected wide angle lens...

http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

I got it also. Good, fast and cheap.
Comes with a PS plug-in so you can even use it on TIF's and other formats.

--
Focus

Old May 16th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

"Bob" wrote in message
Hi . I have recently moved over to digital. My problem is I have a full
frame Nikon fisheye lens 16mm F2.8 AFD , Its designed for a 35mm film
camera (FF) it projects an image that has a field of view of 180degress
across the diagonal of the 35mm frame(FF).
this Lens is desigend to give emense distortion. Only straight lines that
go through the centre of the frame are not distorted.

Now I have tried this lens on a Digital camera witha DX Aps-C size sensor
. of course the sensor crops the image thrown by my fisheye lens. with
noticable barrel distortion . does Nikon Catpure NX correct this
distortion or can any reasonable priced software correct it. .. so I can
use this lens as a corrected wide angle lens...

Nikon Capture (either NX or the previous version 4.x) will correct a DX
fisheye shot to ultrawide rectilinear, but *only* photos taken with the
10.5mm Fisheye Nikkor. There is a special setting for this purpose
specifically with this lens, and it works very well.

Of course that doesn't help you with your 16mm fisheye. I haven't used
either version of Nikon Capture with such a lens so can't speak directly to
your question, but any sort of image editing software that allows enough
distortion control should work to some degree, but with no guarantee that
the results will be truly rectilinear (i.e., straight lines kept straight
throughout the frame).

Keep in mind, though, that if you do manage such a solution all it's going
to give you is the equivalent of a 16mm rectilinear lens, i.e. equivalent to
a 24mm lens on a 35. That's not very much wider than the kit lens you
probably have already.

You might consider selling your 16mm fisheye and buying the 10.5mm DX
version, which is a great little lens made even better with Nikon Capture 4
or NX (you probably would need NX unless you have an older model DSLR),
since that software turns it into a real dual-purpose lens, fisheye natively
or rectilinear ultrawide in post processing.

Neil

Old May 16th 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Neil Harrington wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Scroll down in this link for a de-fished 16mm field of view:
http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/fovs.html
I'm not sure but it looks like a crop frame DSLR used.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old May 16th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
Neil Harrington wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think so, Paul. The original 16mm fisheye shot (not de-fished) looks
full frame to me, full frame is mentioned in the text, and the lenses
mentioned are all for full frame. The author is mistaken, BTW, when he says
"a 16mm fisheye gives a full 180° horizontal field of view." A 16mm fisheye
(full frame) gives 180° corner to corner, but only about 140° horizontally.

Also, that software he's using to supposedly de-fish the fisheye shot
doesn't seem to me to be de-fishing it very much. Mostly it's just
stretching the image horizontally and squeezing it vertically, in addition
to which the image obviously has been cropped vertically -- all of which
makes the fisheye curvature less noticeable, but at least some curvature is
still there.

I have no idea why he thinks the altered photo is "really, really wide:
maybe 8mm - perhaps even wider." The things done to that photo have not
really made it rectilinear, and could not possibly make it equivalent to an
8mm rectilinear shot even if they did make it rectilinear. If you completely
de-fish a 16mm fisheye shot, keeping the same aspect ratio, what you get is
a 16mm rectilinear shot. If you change to a wider aspect ratio as he has
then you could get the equivalent of a somewhat shorter f.l., but with
substantially reduced definition at the sides and corners from stretching.
That reduced definition is not so apparent in his example *because* the shot
is not really de-fished and there is still a good deal of radial compression
in the corners. You can see this especially on the extreme left side of the
picture, comparing it with the original fisheye shot. The curvature is still
there.

Neil