Dektol for film

Old September 16th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Dektol for film

I gave a 4x5 Graphic to a chap who's a bit poor.

What's the recommended dilution of Dektol and Efke 25 film? Any clue? Would
it even work half-bad?

Old September 16th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

"j" wrote

What's the recommended dilution of Dektol and Efke 25 film? Any clue?

With Super-XX [?] and print strength Dektol 1:2
I remember 1 1/2 minutes in a constantly rocking
tray. Really thick negative.

The grain could be seen in a contact print. The effect
was rather nice, though, sort of soft-focusy-arty-farty.

For Efke 25 I really don't know. Much less than a
minute and I think getting even development may be
a problem. If it were me I would try a water bath
before the developer. Take a sheet, expose it, cut
it into 1" strips and pull strips out of the developer
at 30 second intervals and drop them in the stop.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Darkroom Automation

Old September 16th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
UC

j wrote:
I gave a 4x5 Graphic to a chap who's a bit poor.

What's the recommended dilution of Dektol and Efke 25 film? Any clue? Would
it even work half-bad?

Efke 25 and Dektol? The worst possible combination in history...another
****ing idiot.

Old September 16th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

j wrote:
I gave a 4x5 Graphic to a chap who's a bit poor.

What's the recommended dilution of Dektol and Efke 25 film? Any clue? Would
it even work half-bad?

Read:

http://jerryo.com/filmDevTest.htm

My advice to you is if you can, buy him a bottle of HC-110. IMHO the
best developer is FG-7, but may be difficult to get.

Look at:
http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

Dilution H, listed by Covington, but not an offical dilution, would be
"just right" for his work.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old September 16th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

UC wrote:
Efke 25 and Dektol? The worst possible combination in
history...another ****ing idiot.

Ech! I can smell your breath from here!

Old September 16th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

My advice to you is if you can, buy him a bottle of HC-110. IMHO the
best developer is FG-7, but may be difficult to get.

I have two unopened gallon bottles of FG-7! Been a Rodinal and D76 person.
I will definitely look into the FG-7.

Thanks for that, Geoffrey.

Old September 16th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
laura halliday

UC wrote:
j wrote:
I gave a 4x5 Graphic to a chap who's a bit poor.

What's the recommended dilution of Dektol and Efke 25 film? Any clue? Would
it even work half-bad?

Efke 25 and Dektol? The worst possible combination in history...another
****ing idiot.

I wouldn't go *that* far, but it's a common thread around
here. You can, in theory, develop any silver halide emulsion
in any developer. But would you want to?

Some combinations work well and are considered standard,
some unusual combinations have their uses, and some
combinations are likely to work so poorly that there is
little point in even trying them. This is one of them.

Dektol is a print developer. Developing film in it will give
rapid development, high contrast, and boulder-size grain.
This is probably not what you want. Since nobody else
wants it, nobody does it, and there are no published
development times.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Old September 17th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
darkroommike

I've got old what's his name filtered out of my computer do I have to do
the same with everyone that wants to reply to his rants? If we ALL
ignore him he'll go away.

darkroommike

j wrote:

Ech! I can smell your breath from here!

He who shall remain nameless opened his potty mouth and spoiled my

evening.
Old September 17th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
laura halliday

j wrote:
laura halliday wrote:

Dektol is a print developer. Developing film in it will give
rapid development, high contrast, and boulder-size grain.
This is probably not what you want. Since nobody else
wants it, nobody does it, and there are no published
development times.

At any dilution?

If you're that obsessed with Dektol, perhaps you
should try it yourself? Then you would know.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "That's a totally illegal,
Grid: CN89mg madcap scheme. I like it!"
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - H. Pearce