MF & Technical Pan, looking for optimum sharpness

Old April 20th 04, 08:52 AM
Jim Phelps

Default MF & Technical Pan, looking for optimum sharpness

"Philippe Lauwers" wrote in message
i.nl...
[SNIP]
And what exactly is this 'film set' ? I suppose my not being a native
speaker is the reason why I don't completely understand.

Philippe

Philippe,

The 'set' Larry is referring to is in a Hasselblad, the path of the film
takes several twists and turns. If the film is loaded in the camera back
and left to sit for some time before use, the film takes a 'set' and creates
a hump that effects film flatness. Larry say this hump usually shows up on
the second frame. I don't dispute this possibility. It's also one of the
reasons I choose a Rollei over a 'Blad.

A way around this will be; load the camera film back at the scene and use
the roll rather quickly (in the same day at least) so the film does not sit
in one place too long.

Hope this helps you.

Jim

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old April 20th 04, 02:08 PM
Paul Repacholi

"Jim Phelps" writes:

A way around this will be; load the camera film back at the scene
and use the roll rather quickly (in the same day at least) so the
film does not sit in one place too long.

Or use a Mk 70

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
Old April 20th 04, 03:39 PM
Hemi4268

A way around this will be; load the camera film back at the scene and use
the roll rather quickly (in the same day at least) so the film does not sit
in one place too long.

Actually, I did some test on this using Tech-pan. The film will "set" in as
little as 5 minutes. It's very visable on the second frame with some on the
third. To be visable, you must use resolution targets and a 20x loupe to see
it. Also, the set seems to go away if the second frame is not used in about 5
minutes.

Usually at a wedding with 160 type film this is only a minor problem as your
taking pictures all the time. Also, the film is only half the resolution of
Tech Pan so it's not as sensitive to film bulges.

This business of saying this is sharper then that without using resolution
targets is like saying this car is faster then that without knowing anything
about a speedometer.

Larry
Old April 20th 04, 05:22 PM
jjs

"Martin Jangowski" wrote in message

My experience with Techpan is that it's very fine grain, but not optimum

sharpness.

There is a thing like "visible sharpness", and this isn't reflected in RMS
[...]

I have the very same notion. Apparent ("visible") sharpness is made via edge
effects, and a very fine, smooth grain isn't likely to have ot. "Creamy" is
how I describe many fine-grain films. It's good, or not, depending on your
likes. Oof the reasons I just friggin hate Kodak's T-Grain films is because
it is the worst combination of 'kinda' fine grain without a chance of edge
sharpness.

Old April 20th 04, 05:46 PM
Philippe Lauwers

Use a tripod (goes without saying).

a what ? ;-) (grin)

Old April 20th 04, 08:33 PM
Jim Phelps

"Hemi4268" wrote in message
A way around this will be; load the camera film back at the scene and

use
the roll rather quickly (in the same day at least) so the film does not

sit
in one place too long.

Actually, I did some test on this using Tech-pan. The film will "set" in

as
little as 5 minutes. It's very visable on the second frame with some on

the
third. To be visable, you must use resolution targets and a 20x loupe to

see
it. Also, the set seems to go away if the second frame is not used in

about 5
minutes.

[Snip]

5 minutes and it takes a set. Wow, I know Tech Pan has a thinner and
therefore an assumed more fragile base, but I would have also thought it to
be more flexible. Stranger things.

Jim

Old April 20th 04, 08:41 PM
Hemi4268

5 minutes and it takes a set. Wow, I know Tech Pan has a thinner and
therefore an assumed more fragile base, but I would have also thought it to
be more flexible.

On the other side it takes about 5 minutes to flaten out.

Larry
Old April 20th 04, 08:58 PM
David J. Littleboy

"Philippe Lauwers" wrote: