Film Pre-Exposure?

Old May 17th 04, 03:20 AM
Jon

Default Film Pre-Exposure?

Never argue with a zonehead. They don't realize how stupid they are.
They just go to their 'holy books' and quote Adams, chapter and verse.
What difference is there between zoneheads and religious zealots?
NONE.

What is the difference between Mike Scarpathetic, Hans Beckert, and a liar?

Nothing...

Old May 17th 04, 06:57 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Jon" wrote
MS wrote
Never argue with a zonehead.

Good advice. Please don't.
Old May 18th 04, 08:54 PM
Patrick Gainer

dr bob wrote:

"Dan Quinn" wrote in message
om...
Is anybody using pre-exposure when takeing pictures? I know it
requires multiple exposure capability but can be done, at least
for one frame, in advance of the actual picture takeing.

I've been lazy up till now but think the added shadow density and
gain of a stop or two in EI might be worth the extra effort.

What about technique? Will a plastic bag over the lens and a three
or four stops down exposure do the job? Dan

Dan:

The technique works well in some circumstances when the shadow values are
really off the scale and your visualization indicates they would enhance the
final print. Such a scenario as a beach scene where the subject has greatly
shadowed areas compared to the brightly lit "other" side(s). I have metered
a little gray card I carry around in the ol' bag but almost any printed
medium can be used as middle gray. Rack the focus out and make the exposure
as you suggest (3 or 4 stops down) then expose the subject. Develop
"normally". I have used this on roll film where it is difficult to alter
development per frame.I do have a couple of prints made from negatives
produced with this technique and will send you one email (650x650) for
brevity if you wish.

Truly, dr bob.

The theory of pre-exposure is based on the fact that film has a
threshold exposure below which nothing is recorded. If that threshold is
supplied by non-image light, more of the image light will be recorded by
being added to the pre-exposure. This is a very old technique. I first
read of it in Principles of Optics by Hardy and Perrin, published in
1932. Yes, contrast is lowered, but the shadow threshold is reduced. The
loss of contrast is made up by slightly more than normal development.
Old May 19th 04, 03:56 AM
Michael Scarpitti

Patrick Gainer wrote in message ...
dr bob wrote:

"Dan Quinn" wrote in message
[...]

Pat:

Post-exposure latensification is what I am talking about. It is/was
used to help offset latent image decay from very long exposures, e.g.,
astrophotography. I would never fog film according to the technique
you cite.

In the B&W movie days, some overall fog was often added to night
scenes, but not to provide more shadow detail, but simply to lighten
the image overall. It does NOT increase shadow detail one whit,
because it was done after the negative was developed, at the
duplication stage, I presume at the interpositive stage. It was done
this way so as not to endanger the original negative. If you watch
Universal horror films of the 30's and 40's, you can see it as a
slightly milky image in night scenes, especially in films such as 'The
Wolf Man' with Lon Chaney Jr. It was also used for 'day for night'
scenes, which were shot under normal daylight, but underexposed about
two stops or so. The idea was to flatten out the scene.
Old May 26th 04, 11:26 AM
Al Doyle

Dan:

I use pre-fog or pre-exposure, to increase the Exposure Index
and reduce the contrast of very slow microfilms.

Al Doyle

Old May 26th 04, 06:07 PM
Michael Scarpitti

"Al Doyle" wrote in message ...
Dan:

I use pre-fog or pre-exposure, to increase the Exposure Index
and reduce the contrast of very slow microfilms.

Al Doyle

But 'regular' films don't benefit from that!