Help Please - Paint Shop Pro Red Eye Removal Problem

Old January 24th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul D. Sullivan

Default Help Please - Paint Shop Pro Red Eye Removal Problem

There are some red-eye situations that seem to baffle about
everything, except Paint Shop Pro, which basically puts a digital
eye over top.

I'm trying to use that feature and find Auto Human works great.

But a couple of shots have an eyelid in the way, meaning I cannot
apply the fix without it looking odd.

So, I'm using the Freehand Pupil Outline feature. When I select
this, it immediately blanks out the HUE box greys out and the
COLOR box just below it switches to ANIMAL and shows only 4 color
options that are only animal eyes (basically black).

Even though I can draw the outline, I can't seem to get it to let
me choose from the Human options to get the right color, etc.

Could someone please help me figure this out. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Old January 24th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RoseW

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
| There are some red-eye situations that seem to baffle about
| everything, except Paint Shop Pro, which basically puts a digital
| eye over top.
|
| I'm trying to use that feature and find Auto Human works great.
|
| But a couple of shots have an eyelid in the way, meaning I cannot
| apply the fix without it looking odd.
|
| So, I'm using the Freehand Pupil Outline feature. When I select
| this, it immediately blanks out the HUE box greys out and the
| COLOR box just below it switches to ANIMAL and shows only 4 color
| options that are only animal eyes (basically black).
|
| Even though I can draw the outline, I can't seem to get it to let
| me choose from the Human options to get the right color, etc.
|
| Could someone please help me figure this out. I'd appreciate it.
|
| Thanks

Post a sample in the cnews.corel.com newsgroup
corel.PaintShopPro_Photography and many will respond with techniques.
Rose

Old January 24th 07, 07:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

"Paul D. Sullivan" wrote:

There are some red-eye situations that seem to baffle about
everything, except Paint Shop Pro, which basically puts a digital
eye over top.

I'm trying to use that feature and find Auto Human works great.

But a couple of shots have an eyelid in the way, meaning I cannot
apply the fix without it looking odd.

So, I'm using the Freehand Pupil Outline feature. When I select
this, it immediately blanks out the HUE box greys out and the
COLOR box just below it switches to ANIMAL and shows only 4 color
options that are only animal eyes (basically black).

Even though I can draw the outline, I can't seem to get it to let
me choose from the Human options to get the right color, etc.

Could someone please help me figure this out. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

copy the eyelid using the lasso tool and do the redeye removal, then
paste back the eyelid. Might take a bit of experimenting to get it
right but I've used this method for other little tricks.

Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Old January 24th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul D. Sullivan

copy the eyelid using the lasso tool and do the redeye
removal, then paste back the eyelid. Might take a bit of
experimenting to get it right but I've used this method for
other little tricks.

Outstanding. Why I didn't think of this, I do not know, but it
would seem a very simple way to do it.

Thank you.

Old January 24th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul D. Sullivan

Post a sample in the cnews.corel.com newsgroup
corel.PaintShopPro_Photography and many will respond with
techniques. Rose

Will do. Thanks

Old January 24th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

"Paul D. Sullivan" wrote:

copy the eyelid using the lasso tool and do the redeye
removal, then paste back the eyelid. Might take a bit of
experimenting to get it right but I've used this method for
other little tricks.

Outstanding. Why I didn't think of this, I do not know, but it
would seem a very simple way to do it.

Thank you.

It had be simple for me to think of it :O) you're welcome paul.

Old January 24th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:
copy the eyelid using the lasso tool and do the redeye
removal, then paste back the eyelid. Might take a bit of
experimenting to get it right but I've used this method for
other little tricks.

Outstanding. Why I didn't think of this, I do not know, but it
would seem a very simple way to do it.

Thank you.

If worst comes to worst, why not just do it manually, select the eye and
carefully use paintbrush. Replace color may be another possibility, the
automatic red eye removal seems to take this approach and I've always
found this good enough for people. For animals, PSP offers help, my
editor doesn't.
Dave Cohen
Old January 24th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jan 23, 6:58 pm, "Paul D. Sullivan" wrote:
There are some red-eye situations that seem to baffle about
everything, except Paint Shop Pro, which basically puts a digital
eye over top.

I'm trying to use that feature and find Auto Human works great.

But a couple of shots have an eyelid in the way, meaning I cannot
apply the fix without it looking odd.

So, I'm using the Freehand Pupil Outline feature. When I select
this, it immediately blanks out the HUE box greys out and the
COLOR box just below it switches to ANIMAL and shows only 4 color
options that are only animal eyes (basically black).

Even though I can draw the outline, I can't seem to get it to let
me choose from the Human options to get the right color, etc.

Could someone please help me figure this out. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

You should not be replacing the iris itself, only the pupil. The pupil
on a human eye is black in the absense of redeye. Do not confuse the
iris and the pupil.

Old January 25th 07, 08:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul D. Sullivan

That is what my confusion was. I wrongly assumed that I could
freehand outline and apply the entire IRIS and PUPIL effect into
that selection. I was, of course, wrong.

But thankfully I do have it figured out. It's a bit complex and
time consuming, but gives me the completely clean look of the
Paint Shop Pro "Digital Eye" and fits within the bounds created
by the position of the eyelids.

Basically, drew a rectangle surrounding both eyes with no AA or
Feathering. Promoted that to a new layer. For each eye, I drew
a freehand selection with AA on and a feather setting between 1
and 3 (usually 2 worked best). The selection captured the Iris
and Pupil area right up to the edge of the top and bottom lids.
I inverted that selection, pressed the DEL key and that was it.

I did mess with the glint positioning manually when the glint did
not seem to be consistent from one eye to the other, but that is
about all.

It's good to get some fresh perspective from others, and it
helped me think of doing it a different way, and it turned out
great.

Thanks to all who have helped.