Help please w monopod or tripod

Old October 8th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Fred Lebow

Default Help please w monopod or tripod

I am looking for a very light weight - sturdy, compact tripod (packable) w
a light compact ball head
or a monopod w a light small ball head that I can also use a walking,
wading stick.
I could also use advice on where to buy it?

Sincerely
Fred

--
Fred Lebow

Old October 8th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Arthur Small

Feisol makes good light weight tripods and monopods. Ball heads are not
light weight, and cost as much or more than tripod/monopod.
www.alldigital.fotopic.net

Old October 8th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Arthur Small wrote:
Feisol makes good light weight tripods and monopods. Ball heads are not
light weight, and cost as much or more than tripod/monopod.
www.alldigital.fotopic.net

For a monopod, as to ball head, I'd think the added weight would, uh,
er, outweigh the advantage of such a head. But I just screw my 70-200
lens mount directly onto the top of the mono.

--
John McWilliams
Old October 8th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:

For a monopod, as to ball head, I'd think the added weight would, uh,
er, outweigh the advantage of such a head. But I just screw my 70-200
lens mount directly onto the top of the mono.

Such a waste when it's proper to use an Arca Swiss in this application.
You
aren't realizing the full potential of your 70-200 without one.

Such a waste of bandwidth; stop following me around!! And learn grammar!

In addition to it's, we can have hi's, her's and their's!!!

--
john mcwilliams
Old October 8th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
G.T.

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:

For a monopod, as to ball head, I'd think the added weight would, uh,
er, outweigh the advantage of such a head. But I just screw my 70-200
lens mount directly onto the top of the mono.

Such a waste when it's proper to use an Arca Swiss in this application.
You
aren't realizing the full potential of your 70-200 without one.

Please explain the benefits of using a ballhead on a monopod.

Greg
Old October 8th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
G.T.

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
G.T. wrote:

Please explain the benefits of using a ballhead on a monopod.

Hey, this is between John and I. I'm trying to get him to start
thinking for himself.

If this isn't a public discussion then take it to email.

Greg
Old October 8th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Guy

Fred Lebow wrote:
I am looking for a very light weight - sturdy, compact tripod (packable) w
a light compact ball head
or a monopod w a light small ball head that I can also use a walking,
wading stick.
I could also use advice on where to buy it?

Sincerely
Fred

Fred - I have a Gitzo Monotrek that seems to fit your need. It collapses
to 31.5 inches (80 cm) with the ball head. The tip is small but it comes
with an easily lost snowpack "cup" that fits over the tip if you need it
to be wider. I have no idea HOW sturdy you need it to be or what wading
with it will do to the thing but I like it. -Guy

Old October 8th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

"G.T." wrote:

Please explain the benefits of using a ballhead on a monopod.

The most stable position with a monopod is to form a tripod with
your own legs. The monopod extends at an angle in front of you,
and therefore the camera needs to be angled "down", which is
easily done with even a cheap ballhead.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old October 8th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeremy Nixon

G.T. wrote:

Please explain the benefits of using a ballhead on a monopod.

I can't even imagine using a monopod without a head. Movement is too
restricted. I guess if you're standing on the sidelines shooting sports,
where everything you shoot is going to be in just the right orientation,
it would be fine, but for general shooting I'd sooner go handheld than
use a monopod without a head.

--
Jeremy |
Old October 8th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeremy Nixon

John McWilliams wrote:

Such a waste of bandwidth; stop following me around!! And learn grammar!

In addition to it's, we can have hi's, her's and their's!!!

Perhaps you should learn grammar; "it's" was perfectly correct.

--
Jeremy |