[SI] At the Museum is posted, waiting for visitors

Old May 11th 11, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Default [SI] At the Museum is posted, Some comments

On 2011-05-09 16:27:12 -0700, Bowser said:

Here you go, let the comments fly!

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/at_the_museum

For more info about the Shoot-In, please visit the Rulz page he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

Next up is Weapons, due June 12th. Your interpretation of what
constitutes a weapon is all that counts, so have at it and fire away.
Some of you might consider that 800mm 5.6 tele a weapon. Others may
consider that the pen, being mightier than the sword is the perfect
weapon while others, black belt in hand, might want to crush me like a
grape. What is your weapon of choice?

I think we managed to get some interesting content out of this mandate,
including interpretations of what constitutes a museum. All in all a
good collection, thanks for playing folks.
Now for a few comments which you can take with the proverbial pinch of
salt:

Peter Newman:
#1:
An interesting character study of a trio of critics. ;-)

To me the interest is the contrast between the painting and:
Frumpy, Dumpty and Grumpty. The title came from a remark that one of
them made that no woman could ever look like that.

;-)

#2:
Looks like an F4U Corsair to me. I would have preferred the full Navy
blue rather than stylized B&W for this one.

That's where tastes differ. I mentally transported to when the plane
was cutting edge and imagined what it would be like. Hence the title.

Aah! but the F4U has always been cutting edge for me, as have quite a
number of WWII warbirds, that includes the P-51 & P-38.

http://pegase.foxalpha.com/photog/0203/000505.jpg
http://www.world-war-2-planes.com/vo...u_corsair.html

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircra...ightF18F4u.jpg

#3:
What can I say? Mrs Bates works so well on many levels.
All I would ask is, where is this on display, photograph or painting,
and who was the original artist?

I shot the image at a museum in in Maine: Definitely not a picture of a
picture, or a picture of a sculpture. It is also my first HDR.

http://www.katyelliott.com/blog/2009/08/andrew-wyeth-olsen-house-in-cushing-maine.html

It

is one of the few places where they don't mind if you move some
furniture around. I was in the room and a girl with a bun walked in.
Bingo. She was happy to serve as a model for about two minutes. I tried
to convince her to try another room, which would have made a fine
Whistler's Mother shot.

Nice work.

Savageduck

Old May 11th 11, 01:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 10 May 2011 19:34:20 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

It is one of the few places where they don't mind if you move some
furniture around. I was in the room and a girl with a bun walked in.
Bingo. She was happy to serve as a model for about two minutes. I tried
to convince her to try another room, which would have made a fine
Whistler's Mother shot.

Move furniture? I don't think any of the local museums have armed
guards, but touching anything - let alone moving something - might
bring out the hidden Uzis.

The major museums in this town are all architecturally blah. The
Orlando Museum of Art and the Orlando Museum of Science are poured
concrete structures with the aesthetic of a WWWII pillbox. The Morse
Museum is a brick box.

I would have liked to shoot in the Morse because its the repository of
the world's greatest collection of Louis Comfort Tiffany's work.
Fabulous stuff! Colors to die for. Absolutely no photography,
though, and the guards scurry over if you bring out a cell phone to
make sure you are not surreptitiously using the camera.

The Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Gallery has sculptures on the
grounds, but I was too cheap to pay the admission to shoot there
again. I've shot there before, and somewhere have a passably good
photo of some Japanese tourists gathered around a sculpture. I shot
for the people, though, and not the sculpture. Can't find the image.

Of course, if I was in NYC and could photograph the Metropolitan, I'd
set up at the base of the steps and photograph the people.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old May 11th 11, 07:01 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Savageduck wrote:
Bowser said:

Here you go, let the comments fly!
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/at_the_museum

I think we managed to get some interesting content out of this mandate,
including interpretations of what constitutes a museum. All in all a
good collection, thanks for playing folks.

Indeed, I was pleasantly surprised. Thanks for *all* the comments!

Paul Furman:
1267 - painting studio
I like the use of a working studio, and certainly almost anything at
Hunter's Point could be considered a museum. I like the work on the big
canvas reflecting the real activity on the table.

I didn't fully realize how the setting mirrored the paintings, I was
going through that day, trying to get shots of the paintbrushes and
views out their windows. I suppose I should've done some perspective
correction, it seemed OK initially.

It's all being torn down, apparently the artists will get new space.

Eric S (I assume Eric Stevens):

The Gangs All He - aboriginal carving

Good capture & composition.

Tilling Stevens - old fire truck

As well as could be done under what look like difficult conditions but
not really compelling as a photo.

War Canoe:

Well done!

Bob Flint:

The most striking thing here is the sparkling clean lens on that first
ancient camera. The presentation could have been better but was
respectable. Glare on the manual, not quite straight on a couple. The
lighting is good though, lens reflections handled cleanly.

Tony Cooper:
Mennelo Porch 1 & 2:

A fine capture of an interesting scene, the photoshopped version... I'm
not sure it improved other than the incomplete text gone but it works
well also.

Seminole County Museum:

Perfect clean shot. Professionally composed.

Graham:
#1, #2, & #3 - windmills

Again, really good shots! Sensor dust on the rainbow though. I guess not
easy to fix but worth the effort.

Tim Conway:
Brookgreen Gardens #1 - sculptures in mossy garden
Hanover Junction -

Both of these are just lovely - great! Points off for the autumn archive
shot ;-)

Brookgreen Gardens #2 - photo of a photo

Not interesting or well shot - bzzt.

Savageduck (Yours truly):

A flying part of the Estrella Warbird Museum, Paso Robles.

Great capture. Striking image.

A. J. Foyt's, 1961, Offenhauser powered, Indy racer.

The car is well captured but not captivating image because of the clutter.

Pollock #2 at Munson Williams Procter Fine Arts Institute

Composition adds to the image and I can tell it was a custom crop so
that counts. The irregularity bugs me enough to want an assymetric shot
however. I know the canvas may not be actually square, I shot one like
this which was warped and it bugged me too.

Bowser:
#1 - fisheye gallery installation

Neat!!

#2 - trick with glass sphere

Cool, this is worthwhile as a photo, not just shooting an exhibit, even
though it is that, it works!

#3 - wire sculpture shadow sketch

Neato - and a flawless capture!

Peter Newman:
#1 - old ladys and young lady painting

Ha! :-)

Ron Spoto
silver serving ware

Cropping is a bit awkward and it's a little crooked but not a bad shot.

Peter Newman:
#2 - ghost plane

Interesting (high key?) experiment. Works well for me.

#3 girl in rocking chair

Surreal, I like it. The proportions of the room are wrong, right? Is the
sky faked? I didn't notice right away but that does bug me.
Old May 11th 11, 07:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Paul Furman wrote:
Savageduck wrote:
Bowser said:

Here you go, let the comments fly!
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/at_the_museum

I think we managed to get some interesting content out of this mandate,
including interpretations of what constitutes a museum. All in all a
good collection, thanks for playing folks.

Indeed, I was pleasantly surprised. Thanks for *all* the comments!

To clarify, where I criticized, I did it as my most difficult professor
did; an A would be a perfect professional product. That wasn't an art
professor, and maybe that's inappropriate because with art, there is
always some value and I did see that too, I chose to crit this way this
time; if I was the editor, the ones that got bad marks would have gone
to the cutting room floor, even if there is some interest and value for
the exercise. This was a neat set, thanks for submitting everyone.
Old May 11th 11, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 5/9/2011 9:36 PM, tony cooper wrote:
On Mon, 9 May 2011 18:07:50 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Tony Cooper:
Mennelo Porch 1& 2:
I like the idea of the strong color fields, and the porch setting,
however with #2 I find the PS filter pushes the surreal a bit much for
me. I think this is a case where cleaner works better. It would have
been nice to see more of the contents of the museum.

Photography is not allowed in the museum. The building itself has no
photographic merit. I chose the furniture grouping because 1) I liked
the colors, and 2) the porch was the only photographically interesting
aspect. A shot of the porch showing the full name was a problem
because of a deep overhang that created bad shadows any time of day.

I think you did a nice job of conveying a modern graphic approach. I'm
guessing that the area was a lot larger and you took just the essence of
what was there.

The museum content is modern art, so I played around with #2 to match
the type of art inside the museum.

Seminole County Museum:
Nice "Old Folks Home" I think this is a case where the interior might
have been more interesting, rather than the building.

Trust me, it isn't. The most interesting items inside are old
photographs of the area. It doesn't seem right to photograph
photographs.

--
Peter
Old May 11th 11, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

#2:
Looks like an F4U Corsair to me. I would have preferred the full Navy
blue rather than stylized B&W for this one.

That's where tastes differ. I mentally transported to when the plane
was cutting edge and imagined what it would be like. Hence the title.

Aah! but the F4U has always been cutting edge for me, as have quite a
number of WWII warbirds, that includes the P-51 & P-38.

http://pegase.foxalpha.com/photog/0203/000505.jpg

The first interpretation works well for me. The other two are well done
photographs of a plane.

Old May 12th 11, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

Peter Newman:

#2 - ghost plane

Interesting (high key?) experiment. Works well for me.

Thanks

#3 girl in rocking chair

Surreal, I like it. The proportions of the room are wrong, right?

The room was small and the house has low ceilings. I shot at 12mm, which
may have caused the distortion.

Is the
sky faked? I didn't notice right away but that does bug me.

It was my first HDR and yes, I cut the exposure through the window. My
mistake was leaving in the reflections.

--
Peter
Old May 12th 11, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 5/11/2011 5:29 PM, tony cooper wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2011 10:27:42 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

Of course, if I was in NYC and could photograph the Metropolitan, I'd
set up at the base of the steps and photograph the people.

I am not big on shooting other people's art either. As for the Met,
there are too many tourists types there. The best places for people
shots, without worrying about mean types and in no particular order, are
the East Village,

Last time I was in NYC, the East Village was the weirdest place.

South Street; Chinatown; The boardwalk from Coney
Island to Brighton Beach.

I've never been to Brighton Beach, but I'd like to get there and
photograph some the ethnic aspects...Russians and such.

On the brighter side IMHO the best people shots are coming up at the
Mermaid pervade.

First glance, I though "pervade" was wordplay on "perverts parading"
and not just a typo.

Probably a Freudian type

My daughter and her husband just got back from Key West. Mallory
Square at sundown is full of odd types, but too odd - photographically
- for my taste. They're too over-the-top. Give me real, but
interesting, people anytime.

You can also get good shots of people watching the people.

If I was in NYC, I'd station myself at a subway entrance and just
shoot.

For about $5 you can get a press pass where you go into
the set-up area. There is probably one of the largest collection of
exhibitionists in the country, there. Not one participant has ever
refused a request to take their picture, or even requested a posing fee.
The shot you see on the website is the "G" rated version.

Key West is like that. Shoot a few in the crowd and someone will
shout out "Photograph me! Photograph me!". Bike Week in Daytona is
the same. I've never had anyone shun the camera.

Haven't been there in years. Good to hear it hasn't become too touristy.

--
Peter
Old May 12th 11, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Elliott Roper

In article , PeterN
wrote:

snip
#3 girl in rocking chair

Surreal, I like it. The proportions of the room are wrong, right?

The room was small and the house has low ceilings. I shot at 12mm, which
may have caused the distortion.

Is the
sky faked? I didn't notice right away but that does bug me.

It was my first HDR and yes, I cut the exposure through the window. My
mistake was leaving in the reflections.

Dunno about mistake. My first reaction on seeing it was that it was
like an Andrew Wyeth painting. So I was well spooked to find you shot
it in the Olsen House.

There is a fabulous moody feel to that picture. Maybe you needed some
curtains and a wind from the sea. grin

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
Old May 12th 11, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

#3 girl in rocking chair

Surreal, I like it. The proportions of the room are wrong, right?

The room was small and the house has low ceilings. I shot at 12mm, which
may have caused the distortion.

Is the
sky faked? I didn't notice right away but that does bug me.

It was my first HDR and yes, I cut the exposure through the window. My
mistake was leaving in the reflections.

Dunno about mistake. My first reaction on seeing it was that it was
like an Andrew Wyeth painting. So I was well spooked to find you shot
it in the Olsen House.

In other images I unsuccessfully tried to capture a Wyeth feel. The
closest I came was an image of some farm equipment in the grass fields
outside the house. I asked the docent if she knew where in the fields
Christina's World was painted from. She replied in the negative. i could
not spot that location either.

There is a fabulous moody feel to that picture.

Thank you