printing custom signs

Old April 14th 21, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown[_2_]

Default printing custom signs

Just asking for advice - that's all.

I would like to be able on create on demand custom text-only signs
using just the computer & printer I already have at home & appropriate
freeware on Win10 (and normal house supplies like spray paint).

I have a ton of discarded election sign blanks and their wire holders.
I don't want to spend money except for household incidentals (like tape).

Can you improve on the plan below to accomplish that goal?

The text only signs will vary in size but will all be larger than 8.5x11.
They'll be like the election signs people put in their yards.
Each week I'll change what they say.

The base is a white plastic (like those election signs) on a wire stand.
The letters will be blue spray painted on a stencil that I will print.
Since the signs are larger than printer paper - printing will be tiled.
If they can be overlapped and have cross hatches to line up that's nice.
Vector graphics aren't needed because the letters are to be cut out.
The font needs to be readable & easily cut out & easily stencil painted.
Letters are expected to be around 1 inch to 2 inches in height - maybe 3.

Here's the plan which I ask for advice to improve given the restrictions.
Editing software = almost anything will work (vector programs aren't needed)
Font = probably a freely available road sign font (lots exist)
(the font may dictate the editing software)
Editing format = probably the sign will be saved as a BMP
Tiling software = probably Posterazor (maybe Rasterbator)
Printing size = 8.5x11 B&W
Sign size = probably 2 feet by about 1.5 foot (depending on the blanks)
Text color = blue (but that doesn't matter really)

That's about all I can think of for now.
I'll be composing the sign in any text editing software.
The road sign font has to work with that text editing software of course.
Then I'll save as a BMP and tile it with the tiler and print to 8.5x11.
I'll tape the stencil together and glue to a piece of cardboard.
I'll then cut out the letters and spray paint the sign.

Can you improve on the plan above to accomplish the stated goals?

Martin Brown
Old April 15th 21, 01:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 4/13/21 11:51 PM, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* (the font may dictate the editing software)
Editing format = probably the sign will be saved as a BMP
Tiling software = probably Posterazor (maybe Rasterbator)
Printing size = 8.5x11 B&W
Sign size = probably 2 feet by about 1.5 foot (depending on the blanks)
Text color = blue (but that doesn't matter really)

That's about all I can think of for now.
I'll be composing the sign in any text editing software.
The road sign font has to work with that text editing software of course.
Then I'll save as a BMP and tile it with the tiler and print to 8.5x11.
I'll tape the stencil together and glue to a piece of cardboard.
I'll then cut out the letters and spray paint the sign.

Can you improve on the plan above to accomplish the stated goals?

I used a spreadsheet program once to print a sign that was two by three
pieces of 8.5x11" paper.
I don't remember the exact procedure, but basically I setup the
spreadsheet so that the cells were a multiple of 8.5x11. Then I pasted a
'picture' of the text into the top left cell and sized it to cover 2x3
cells.

Alternatively, is there an office supply store nearby that can print a
large format size?

--
Ken Hart

Old April 15th 21, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

I used a spreadsheet program once to print a sign that was two by three
pieces of 8.5x11" paper.
I don't remember the exact procedure, but basically I setup the
spreadsheet so that the cells were a multiple of 8.5x11. Then I pasted a
'picture' of the text into the top left cell and sized it to cover 2x3
cells.

there's nothing like taking the simplest of tasks and turning it into a
convoluted process that gives poor results.

why not just print the 'picture' from whatever software was used to
generate said picture?

set the page size to whatever size is needed and then choose print.
done. the computer does the rest.

the results will still be less than ideal, but not quite as bad as via
a spreadsheet.

for the record, the proper tool for large signs (or any size, actually)
is adobe illustrator.
Old April 15th 21, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 14/04/2021 04:51, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

I sometimes do posters up to A3 but I already have an A3 inkjet. I just
invested in an A3 laminator to make them weatherproof. You can use
double sided tape to fasten these to that plastic "corrugated
cardboard". (Your target size is near enough A2 so at the risk of
looking a bit home-made you only have to tape two A3s together).
Old April 15th 21, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 4/13/2021 11:51 PM, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Wow. That's a complicated way to accomplish your goal.

The advantage of vector graphics is that the size of the file is
unrelated to the size of the sign. The only limitation after that is the
printing process. Many office supply stores offer large format printing
from files at reasonable prices, so you could have the sign printed in
one step, and include whatever design you'd like.

There are inexpensive vector graphics programs, and even free apps like
Libra/Open/Polaris Office include vector graphics in their suite. If
going that route, print to PDF and take it to be printed.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old April 15th 21, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 15/04/2021 15:07, Neil wrote:
Wow. That's a complicated way to accomplish your goal.

If you have an easier simpler cheaper way to make custom yard signs on
demand that's why I'm asking for advice from the experts here. ;-)

These signs are discarded election signs.
Most are made of corregated white plastic (about 1/4 inch or 1/8th thick).
Some have writing on one side but many are blank on both sides.
They're of variable sizes of a few feet by a few feet in size.
The area is wet and windy so tape & paper wouldn't hold up well.

If you have a simpler idea than printing stencils then that's what I want to
know from you experts.

The advantage of vector graphics is that the size of the file is
unrelated to the size of the sign.

I don't care what text editor I use as long as it accepts the sign fonts.

The only limitation after that is the printing process.

It's not the "only" limitation so much as the main problem I'm asking for
help in solving from you experts.

Many office supply stores offer large format printing
from files at reasonable prices, so you could have the sign printed in
one step, and include whatever design you'd like.

I do appreciate your help but the fact I'm asking here shows that if I was
going to use a professional printer I wouldn't need to ask you for advice.

I already have a solution in the works.
I was hoping you experts could improve upon it.

There are inexpensive vector graphics programs, and even free apps like
Libra/Open/Polaris Office include vector graphics in their suite. If
going that route, print to PDF and take it to be printed.

It's only text and I already have GIMP and PhotoShop and Illustrator and
Inkscape and Apache OpenOffice Draw and CorelDRAW and Dia and SK1 and a
bunch of others that I don't remember offhand on Windows 10.

I'll use any editor for the text as long as it accepts the road fonts.

Martin Brown
Old April 15th 21, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Martin Brown
wrote:

Wow. That's a complicated way to accomplish your goal.

If you have an easier simpler cheaper way to make custom yard signs on
demand that's why I'm asking for advice from the experts here. ;-)

hi arlen.

you asked this a year or two ago.

the answer hasn't changed. type the text, set page size to whatever
size is needed and choose print.

if your printer is not big enough for the desired size, then it will
automatically tile pages, which you will have to assemble.

you can also take it to a print shop that can print large signs
directly.

this is not complicated.

These signs are discarded election signs.
Most are made of corregated white plastic (about 1/4 inch or 1/8th thick).
Some have writing on one side but many are blank on both sides.
They're of variable sizes of a few feet by a few feet in size.
The area is wet and windy so tape & paper wouldn't hold up well.

If you have a simpler idea than printing stencils then that's what I want to
know from you experts.

you're not fooling anyone, arlen. all you're interested in is trolling.

The advantage of vector graphics is that the size of the file is
unrelated to the size of the sign.

I don't care what text editor I use as long as it accepts the sign fonts.

a text editor is the wrong choice, arlen.

the correct tool is adobe illustrator, which you won't pay for, so
you're stuck with lesser choices.

Many office supply stores offer large format printing
from files at reasonable prices, so you could have the sign printed in
one step, and include whatever design you'd like.

I do appreciate your help but the fact I'm asking here shows that if I was
going to use a professional printer I wouldn't need to ask you for advice.

then you aren't interested in doing it properly, arlen.

I already have a solution in the works.

then why did you ask, arlen?

I was hoping you experts could improve upon it.

your solution is so ****ed up that a child who has never used a
computer before could improve upon it.

There are inexpensive vector graphics programs, and even free apps like
Libra/Open/Polaris Office include vector graphics in their suite. If
going that route, print to PDF and take it to be printed.

It's only text and I already have GIMP and PhotoShop and Illustrator and
Inkscape and Apache OpenOffice Draw and CorelDRAW and Dia and SK1 and a
bunch of others that I don't remember offhand on Windows 10.

doubtful you have a fraction of that, arlen.

I'll use any editor for the text as long as it accepts the road fonts.

the system accepts the fonts, not the app.
Old April 15th 21, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 15/04/2021 16:23, nospam wrote:
It's only text and I already have GIMP and PhotoShop and Illustrator and
Inkscape and Apache OpenOffice Draw and CorelDRAW and Dia and SK1 and a
bunch of others that I don't remember offhand on Windows 10.

doubtful you have a fraction of that, arlen.

What are you trolling about?
You trolls offer no advice and accuse me of being someone you don't like.

I've been posting here years and have never asked this question.

And who are you to say I don't have the software that I have?
I could prove it to you if you were worth it but you're not.

Go away troll.
EOD.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old April 15th 21, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Martin Brown
wrote:

It's only text and I already have GIMP and PhotoShop and Illustrator and
Inkscape and Apache OpenOffice Draw and CorelDRAW and Dia and SK1 and a
bunch of others that I don't remember offhand on Windows 10.

doubtful you have a fraction of that, arlen.

What are you trolling about?

that's a question for you to answer, arlen

You trolls offer no advice and accuse me of being someone you don't like.

the evidence is overwhelming, arlen.

I've been posting here years and have never asked this question.

you used a different nym.

it's identical to a question 'arlen' asked a year or two ago, right
down to the issues about fonts, discarded signage and a pre-existing
incredibly convoluted solution.

And who are you to say I don't have the software that I have?

*you* said that, arlen.
Old April 15th 21, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 4/15/21 10:54 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

[...]

required six pieces of paper- two by three sheets. I didn't have a
printer large enough for that, so I had to come up with a way to tile
the sign. Since this was a one-off event, I wasn't going to invest in
any additional software (even freeware).

The results, by the way, were just fine. The spreadsheet software
(probably LibreOffice or OpenOffice) scaled the picture perfectly.

The proper (first) tool for any large signs is a printer that can handle
that size sign.

--
Ken Hart

Technical & legal background using copyrighted fonts in custom road signs in PowerPoint Chaya Eve Digital Photography 238 September 17th 17 05:17 PM
CC test plus Signs Savageduck[_7_] Digital Photography 1 July 6th 15 09:39 PM
Signs Eric Stevens Digital Photography 3 May 2nd 13 02:02 PM
brochure printing,online yearbook,printing,books printing,publishing elie In The Darkroom 0 August 21st 07 06:40 AM
Washed out signs Bob M Digital Photography 11 November 6th 06 07:27 PM