Vixta automatically corrupts images?

Old February 2nd 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon

Default Vixta automatically corrupts images?

I read in an article today that Vista automatically adds noise to
images, as a copyright protection mechanism to prevent illegal copying
of images (and music and videos). The idea seems to be to go back to the
old times, when analog copies always degraded a bit. Can anybody comment
on this? If true, this would make Vista unsuitable for digital
photography.
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 2nd 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor

Alfred Molon wrote:
I read in an article today that Vista automatically adds noise to
images, as a copyright protection mechanism to prevent illegal copying
of images (and music and videos). The idea seems to be to go back to the
old times, when analog copies always degraded a bit. Can anybody comment
on this? If true, this would make Vista unsuitable for digital
photography.

Where did you read that?

Old February 2nd 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Allen

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 16:37:38 +0100
Alfred Molon wrote:

I read in an article today that Vista automatically adds noise to
images, as a copyright protection mechanism to prevent illegal
copying of images (and music and videos). The idea seems to be to go
back to the old times, when analog copies always degraded a bit. Can
anybody comment on this? If true, this would make Vista unsuitable
for digital photography.

Vista is unsuitable for lots of reasons, but it almost certainly
doesn't do what you say. It might degrade the screen display as a
consequence of discovering that premium content of some sort might
be "leaking", but degrading images automatically all the time seems
highly unlikely. The whole DRM, "you don't own your computer",
aspect of Vista is what scares me the most. Consumers won't see
it and won't care much, but it could hurt me a lot by blocking
open source software.

Paul Allen
Old February 2nd 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 16:37:38 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:

I read in an article today that Vista automatically adds noise to
images, as a copyright protection mechanism to prevent illegal copying
of images (and music and videos). The idea seems to be to go back to the
old times, when analog copies always degraded a bit. Can anybody comment
on this? If true, this would make Vista unsuitable for digital
photography.

IMHO - MS isn't really suitable for much of anything - I'm strictly Linux
on nine computers; but I doubt they'd be dumb enough to try something that
stupid.

Old February 2nd 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Alfred Molon" ?????? ??? ??????
I read in an article today that Vista automatically adds noise to
images, as a copyright protection mechanism to prevent illegal copying
of images (and music and videos). The idea seems to be to go back to the
old times, when analog copies always degraded a bit. Can anybody comment
on this? If true, this would make Vista unsuitable for digital
photography.
--

How can you tell that a PC is loaded with windows without turning it on?
The reset button's colour is totaly lost

How many MS officials do you need to change a bulb?
100.1 to screw in the new bulb and 99 to click off all error messages.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Old February 2nd 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon

In article , Cynicor
says...
Alfred Molon wrote:
I read in an article today that Vista automatically adds noise to
images, as a copyright protection mechanism to prevent illegal copying
of images (and music and videos). The idea seems to be to go back to the
old times, when analog copies always degraded a bit. Can anybody comment
on this? If true, this would make Vista unsuitable for digital
photography.

Where did you read that?

http://www.ftd.de/forschung/156141.html

Use babelfish to get an English translation.
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 2nd 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon

In article , Paul Allen
says...

Vista is unsuitable for lots of reasons, but it almost certainly
doesn't do what you say. It might degrade the screen display as a
consequence of discovering that premium content of some sort might
be "leaking", but degrading images automatically all the time seems
highly unlikely. The whole DRM, "you don't own your computer",
aspect of Vista is what scares me the most. Consumers won't see
it and won't care much, but it could hurt me a lot by blocking
open source software.

The article does not talk of degrading the screen display, it talks
about degrading the image itself, as a way to prevent illegal copying.
Anyway, it is he
http://www.ftd.de/forschung/156141.html

And this is the babelfish translation:

Radiographs are not simple to interpret - which for some expert an
insignificant shade is, can for the other one the beginning of a life-
threatening tumor be. In the future it will give still another third
interpretation possibility for strange setting to the radiography:
Windows Vista, Microsofts new operating system, which is sold starting
from Monday at private customers. The software has a new function: It
rushes automatically pictures and music.

Picture series: The new Windows operating system Vista

This innovation is meant as barrier for video and Musikpiraten. In the
new digital world it is to happen again in such a way like at that time,
at the times of video home system and audio cartridge: Who makes a copy,
which punished with somewhat worse quality. But the digital right
management (DRM), built into Vista, takes care.

The new software thereby puts stones to scientists, physicians and
others, who need unverrauschte pictures for their work, into the way,
fears Peter Gutmann, IT IT-Experte of the University of Auckland in New
Zealand. Recently it published an essay over Vistas copying blockade
function.

Property man describes therein examples how those could affect itself
radical protective function in the everyday life. As soon as commercial
videos or music on the computer run, the operating system switches
special safety precautions on. Among other things the representation
quality - also those is reduced automatically not-commercial contents as
for instance computer radiographs. If thus a physician hears bought
music with his work over his computer legally, can lead owing to DRM to
blurred pictures and - in such a way is afraid property man - "become
fast lethal." Ironically the effect does not arise, if the physician
hears to the work pirat copies - these files are not when marks protect-
worth commercial contents.

"the overall view could suffer"

Thomas Baumgartner of Microsoft rejects the reproach however:
"restrictions in the image representation concern only protected
contents. Therefore the dissolution is not not protected contents as
affected for example by medical pictures." The overall view could suffer
nevertheless, because Microsofts Antipiratentechnik extends also to
screens: A highly soluble flat screen is to be picture somewhat more
badly count, as soon as commercial contents in one of the windows are
represented.
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 2nd 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Paul Allen
says...

Vista is unsuitable for lots of reasons, but it almost certainly
doesn't do what you say. It might degrade the screen display as a
consequence of discovering that premium content of some sort might
be "leaking", but degrading images automatically all the time seems
highly unlikely. The whole DRM, "you don't own your computer",
aspect of Vista is what scares me the most. Consumers won't see
it and won't care much, but it could hurt me a lot by blocking
open source software.

The article does not talk of degrading the screen display, it talks
about degrading the image itself, as a way to prevent illegal copying.
Anyway, it is he
http://www.ftd.de/forschung/156141.html

Vista doesn't do that. The only thing I can think of is that the article
is trying to talk about how Vista handles HDCP support.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paed...hdcp-vista.ars
Old February 2nd 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon

In article , Alfred Molon
says...

Where did you read that?

http://www.ftd.de/forschung/156141.html

Use babelfish to get an English translation.

Also see he
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 2nd 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

wrote:

I read in an article today that Vista automatically adds noise to
images, as a copyright protection mechanism to prevent illegal copying
of images (and music and videos). The idea seems to be to go back to the
old times, when analog copies always degraded a bit. Can anybody comment
on this? If true, this would make Vista unsuitable for digital
photography.

Comment on it?
OK: it's hearsay.

How can you possibly expect any type of reasonable comment on
something that is, on its face, so rediculous?
Give a URL to the article, or tell us where you read it, so we can
comment on it.

--
The New York Yankees signed a
deal with China Monday to expand