Wonderful "new" source for flat-field macro lenses

Old December 23rd 05, 03:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Wonderful "new" source for flat-field macro lenses

I recently purchased on eBay a Componon-S enlarging lens with the idea that
I'd fit it to the bellows of my 2-1/4" sq camera as a flat field macro lens.
While cleaning off a shelf I came across a T-mount for my Nikons and
discovered that the enlarging lens' thread matches perfectly the inner
thread of the T-mount. This means that any really good enlarging lens with
standard thread can be mated with a T-mount for "any" 35mm camera and put on
a bellows or extension tube to function as -- perhaps -- one of the finest
flat field copy/macro lenses available.

Norm

Old December 23rd 05, 04:23 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

In article ,
Norm Dresner writes
I recently purchased on eBay a Componon-S enlarging lens with the idea
that I'd fit it to the bellows of my 2-1/4" sq camera as a flat field
macro lens. While cleaning off a shelf I came across a T-mount for my
Nikons and discovered that the enlarging lens' thread matches perfectly
the inner thread of the T-mount. This means that any really good
enlarging lens with standard thread can be mated with a T-mount for
"any" 35mm camera and put on a bellows or extension tube to function as
-- perhaps -- one of the finest flat field copy/macro lenses available.

Norm

Hi Norm

It's just possible that the Componon will work better for high
magnification if reversed - then the optics will be working at something
like the cojugates it was designed for. Of course, if it is a
symmetrical design, it may not make that much difference.

My 50/2.8 and 100/5.6 Componons both have 43mm filter threads on the
outside, so an adapter ring should be possible. The stop down lever
might get in the way though.

I haven't tried this with mine - I have numerous other purpose-built
macro lenses already.

David
--
David Littlewood
Old December 23rd 05, 05:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
I recently purchased on eBay a Componon-S enlarging lens with the idea

that
I'd fit it to the bellows of my 2-1/4" sq camera as a flat field macro

lens.
While cleaning off a shelf I came across a T-mount for my Nikons and
discovered that the enlarging lens' thread matches perfectly the inner
thread of the T-mount. This means that any really good enlarging lens

with
standard thread can be mated with a T-mount for "any" 35mm camera and put

on
a bellows or extension tube to function as -- perhaps -- one of the finest
flat field copy/macro lenses available.

Norm

And what is the colour rendering like ?
I tried this years ago, but the huge difference between the colour from my
Minolta camera lenses, and the 50mm f2.8 CE Rokkor enlarging lens meant that
my results were only OK if I was using B&W. (This was before Photoshop...)

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old December 24th 05, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I haven't tried using the lens yet, but should be able to get to it in the
week between the holidays [How's that for PC mealymouthing to avoid using
the word "Christmas"??? I apologize! LOL]

Norm

Old December 31st 05, 03:56 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Last week, Norm Dresner wrote:
I recently purchased on eBay a Componon-S enlarging lens with the idea that
I'd fit it to the bellows of my 2-1/4" sq camera as a flat field macro lens.
While cleaning off a shelf I came across a T-mount for my Nikons and
discovered that the enlarging lens' thread matches perfectly the inner
thread of the T-mount. This means that any really good enlarging lens with
standard thread can be mated with a T-mount for "any" 35mm camera and put on
a bellows or extension tube to function as -- perhaps -- one of the finest
flat field copy/macro lenses available.

I'm assuming you mean a normal T mount that fits on the camera
body and has a female thread to take T-accessories (lenses,
telescope adaptors, etc). I'm surprised you can screw your enlarging
lens into one, because the thread specs are different. The T-thread is
42 x 0.75mm; recent Componon-S lenses in the 80-100mm range
are Leica thread (39mm,26tpi), older ones are 25mm, and bigger
ones are 50mm.

I looked at a couple of T mounts and both had an inner thread behind
the main thread, but neither was Leica thread, just some random
threading the manufacturer put on to reduce reflections. Also it was
impossible to actually fit the lens that far back into the mount.
While it's great that you heve something that fits, be aware it may not
work on the next T adapter you come across. That said, the basic
idea of putting an enlarger lens on bellows is good; some makers
may have made adapters, plus there's always the official method,
namely gaffer taping a lensboard to the front of the bellows.

Old December 31st 05, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I guess I wasn't looking all that closely when I discovered the match but
since you've mentioned it, I did some more research. I went to the
Schneider website and downloaded the spec sheet for the lens (135mm f/5.6)
which includes a detailed drawing of the lens at
http://www.schneideroptics.com/photo...n-s_56_135.pdf.

The lens that I have seems to conform to that drawing as closely as I can
measure it with an inch-based dial caliper EXCEPT that the drawing calls for
a thread of 50mm x .75mm and the lens I have clearly has a thread that's
significantly smaller! In fact it's 1.647" diameter which corresponds to
42mm (actually 41.83 but that's close enough to 42mm for me -- and to the
T-mount adapter too).

AFAICT, this is a perfectly normal T-mount adapter designed to take a 42mm
thread.

SO ... the question is, why does this seemingly normal Componon-S lens have
a 42mm thread where it should have a 50mm thread?

The (non)answer, of course, is, "I don't know!"

If anyone has more information that will shed light on this mystery we'd
(all) be grateful.

Norm