What camera for my 8 year old kid? (video, pictures, rugged, tripod, easy)

Old December 2nd 10, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
shiva das

Default What camera for my 8 year old kid? (video, pictures, rugged, tripod, easy)

In article , Dr Rig
wrote:

My kid loves to make short movies where he videos and talks as he plays
with action figures.

For Xmas, Santa will get him a digital p&s camera - but which one?

He needs:
- Audio has to be good! (Current waterproof camera stinks on audio)
- Has to easily take videos (must be easily uploaded via USB to computer)
- Has to be rugged (this is a kid, after all)
- Has to be easily used (again, he's rough on equipment)
- Has to have a tripod connection
- Best if it uses standard batteries, but that may be too hard to find

Any suggestions? I'm going to get it by Internet but don't know which to
start comparing.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I would recommend any of the "Flip Video" cameras, now owned by Cisco
http://www.theflip.com/en-us/

They are small, they take whatever beating anyone can dish out, they
have a built-in flip-out USB connection, they are HD, their audio is OK,
has tripod mount, some models take AA batteries (others have an internal
rechargeable battery), and possibly most important, a friend of mine's
6- and 8-year-old kids love it. Especially the 6-year-old.

Personally I'm not convinced by the glomming together of still and video
into one package. Video and still are fundamentally different, and I
haven't seen one example of a camera which does both as well as
dedicated still and dedicated video cameras.

Just my opinion. Let the mudslinging begin.
Old December 3rd 10, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 22:36:04 -0500, shiva das wrote:
: In article , Dr Rig
: wrote:
:
[...]

I agree with you completely. But if there is a place for a camera spanning
both media, a child's camera may be it. Here flexibility trumps quality.
You're not trying to make the kid into Ansel Adams or Ken Burns; you're just
trying to interest him/her in taking pictures and/or videos. As he grows older
(or demonstrates that he's a prodigy), you'll get him better equipment
according to his emerging interest. Specialization can come later when, say,
he's taking pictures or videos for his high school Web site.

Bob
Old December 5th 10, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

shiva das wrote:
I would recommend any of the "Flip Video" cameras, now owned by Cisco
http://www.theflip.com/en-us/

They are small, they take whatever beating anyone can dish out, they
have a built-in flip-out USB connection, they are HD, their audio is OK,
has tripod mount, some models take AA batteries (others have an internal
rechargeable battery), and possibly most important, a friend of mine's
6- and 8-year-old kids love it. Especially the 6-year-old.

I concur. Although maybe a tad less advanced, these seem great for kids.
I would tempt him with something more advanced for stills but he ain't
gonna care about resolution or any of that for a while.

My first camera was a Polaroid SX-70 at around age 11 or 12. I LOVED it.
Old December 5th 10, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 19:19:37 -0800, Paul Furman wrote:
: shiva das wrote:
: I would recommend any of the "Flip Video" cameras, now owned by Cisco
: http://www.theflip.com/en-us/
:
: They are small, they take whatever beating anyone can dish out, they
: have a built-in flip-out USB connection, they are HD, their audio is OK,
: has tripod mount, some models take AA batteries (others have an internal
: rechargeable battery), and possibly most important, a friend of mine's
: 6- and 8-year-old kids love it. Especially the 6-year-old.
:
: I concur. Although maybe a tad less advanced, these seem great for kids.
: I would tempt him with something more advanced for stills but he ain't
: gonna care about resolution or any of that for a while.
:
: My first camera was a Polaroid SX-70 at around age 11 or 12. I LOVED it.

Yeah, that had to be a great camera for a kid (though well after my time), for
the same reason that digital cameras are today. Kids always want to see the
pictures NOW.

Bob
Old December 5th 10, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

: shiva das wrote:
[...]

I liked the SX-70's prints because you could squish around the materials and
distort the image before it hardened.

Sorta like the first analogue Photoshop, LOL.