morse contact printers

Old December 28th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

Default morse contact printers

"Richard Knoppow" wrote

I found a bunch of [specialized argon] lamps at a ham radio swap meet a
couple of months ago for a dollar each! I don't think the guy selling
them knew what they were.

I find rarities often go for a song: people looking for
the thing are rarer than the thing itself.

I have a job selling a huge collection of antique
medical quack devices. When the right buyer can
be found some of the items go for $20,000. As an
experiment I tested the waters on ebay and it looks
like the collection would go for ~0.05 on the dollar.

Collectors know this and there is sniping and collusion
aplenty. At any one time there are 10-20 active well
healed collectors and they all know each other.

It is going to take longer to sell the collection off
[at sane prices] than it took to collect it.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.nolindan.com/da/index.htm

Old December 28th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Nicholas O. Lindan spake thus:

Collectors know this and there is sniping and collusion
aplenty. At any one time there are 10-20 active well
healed collectors and they all know each other.

"Well-healed collectors"? One hopes they don't become re-injured ...

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Old December 30th 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

Richard Knoppow wrote:
"Nermal" wrote in message
news
I have used one of these for printing-out paper. The
exposure time was 2 - 5 minutes. The heat build up during
the exposure time was minimal. I also printed to blue print
paper.

If I had one of these things now, I would print some of my
old negatives to a home made silver chloride coated paper.

Richard Knoppow wrote:
"Thor Lancelot Simon" wrote in message

I am very surprized that you got this result. My
experience with printing out paper is that it requires a few
minutes in direct sunlight. The intensity of my Morse
printer is very much below this. They were intended for
printing aerial camera negatives on rather slow contact
paper, something like Azo, with a few seconds exposure time.
The lamps are very low power Argon lamps. BTW, I found a
bunch of the lamps at a ham radio swap meet a couple of
months ago for a dollar each! I don't think the guy selling
them knew what they were.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

I will try this. I have experimented in the past with photolytic
images from sunlight on conventional printing paper. They are not
strong but appear. it will be simple enough to try it with the
printer.
I wonder if we are talking about two different kinds of printers. I
don't know if Morse ever made plate burners but what you describe
sounds like it might be one.

Richard Knoppow

Old December 31st 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
ps.com...

Richard Knoppow wrote:
[...]

Well, I tried this and was astonished to find it worked!
I tested with a sheet of enlarging paper placed on the inner
diffusing glass with some opaque cardboard under half of it.
I gave it ten minutes. The exposed end was quite purple. I
didn't use the top glass plate because it is not original on
my printer and has significant UV absorption. I presume the
original plate was clear glass rather than green glass with
much greater UV transmission. The attenuation of UV on mine
is probably actually an advantage since exposure time is
very short.
Previous experiments with photolytic printing using
ordinary developing out paper suggest that the Morse printer
_would_ probably print POP in a few minutes. POP is still
made by Kentmere in England and sold in the US under the
Centenial POP name. For those not familar with POP it is
printed directly in sunlight. The image is not permanent
unless treated in toner and fixed. The original image color
is a sort of purplish brown but it can be toned to many
colors.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old December 31st 06, 08:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
murrayatuptowngallery

So what ever happened to the house-cleaning that initiated this thread?

Old January 1st 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
babelfish

"murrayatuptowngallery" wrote in message
ups.com...
So what ever happened to the house-cleaning that initiated this thread?

Well I'm still thinking about it. It all bogged down when I discovered that
the lamps were worth a lot more than the printers!

Old September 26th 13, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:10:17 AM UTC-7, babelfish
wrote:
I'm clearing out my shelves and I found three Morse
contact printers I'd like to get rid of. These are 10x10
units with 39 argon lamps in each. Each lamp is
individually switched. Anyone interested?

I don't know how old this post is, but I would be very
interested. Please contact me if you still have them

Be interesting if its recent. I have a Morse printer,
they were designed for printing aerial film. They were
intended for printing on very slow contact paper and even
for that have exposure times on the order of a few seconds.
Morse also made a larger version of this printer.
You can inflate the pressure pad with a bicycle tire
pump but be careful because it doesn't take much air to get
it right.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL