dvd data failure

Old August 3rd 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default dvd data failure

I have stored computer data on four dvd+r discs.
They all seem to have failed,that is one is not even recognized as a
disc by the computer, and half the files have gone missing from the
others.
They have scratches on them.
The free versions of cdroller and isobuster will not recover the lost
files.
Is there anyway I can access these files again?.
I cannot believe they have all physically vanished
I am astounded that these dvd discs are so vunerable to failure due
to a few scratches.
Why are the Microsoft programs running on the computer so sensitive

to a few scratches?.
One would think they can display files with data 'holes' in them,but
they just seem to ignore the whole disc if one tiny bit of one data
track is scratched.
Grateful for any help ,Hartly.

Old August 3rd 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bart van der Wolf

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have stored computer data on four dvd+r discs.
They all seem to have failed,that is one is not even recognized as
disc by the computer, and half the files have gone missing from the
others.
They have scratches on them.

Why and how? Disks don't come with scratches, so how were they caused?
The direction of the scratches is also important for your chances of
recovery.

Do you have multiple back-ups (I assume not)? You should not put all
eggs in one basket, but use a certain redundancy in your back-up
method.
Best approach is to start at the beginning, and use a first class
recorder and matching media. Companies like Plextor also provide media
compatibility data, and their better recorders come with software that
allows to detect degradation long before the stage of unreadable due
to aging arrives. Mechanical deterioration effects can be overcome by
using a non-archive copy as a working disk.

The free versions of cdroller and isobuster will not recover the
lost
files.

Try http://www.infinadyne.com/cddvd_diagnostic.html as what may be a
final resort. The demo will allow you to see what can be recovered,
you'll then have to purchase it to actually do the recovery.

Is there anyway I can access these files again?.

How much is data worth to you, literally in hard currency? There are
specialized companies that can come a long way is restoring, although
mechanical destruction is the hardest kind, and therefore is better
prevented.

--
Bart

Old August 3rd 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Thanks for quick reply Bart.
They were scratched by the computer's disc drive,(in public
library),as they have not been maltreated outside a computer.
I will try the download you recommednd.
Thanks.

Bart van der Wolf wrote:
oups.com...

Old August 3rd 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bart van der Wolf

wrote in message
ps.com...
Thanks for quick reply Bart.
They were scratched by the computer's disc drive,(in public
library),as they have not been maltreated outside a computer.

Those are the worst type of scratch, while radial ones are of the more
benign kind.

--
Bart

Old August 3rd 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 14:51:01 -0400, Marvin

Thanks for quick reply Bart.
They were scratched by the computer's disc drive,(in public
library),as they have not been maltreated outside a computer.
I will try the download you recommednd.
Thanks.

You can also try a scratch remover device, which you can buy
at computer stores and DVD rental stores. Scratch-resistant
blank disks are now being sold.

Have you told the library staff about it? The disc drives
need cleaning.

I would think that if the drives did indeed put on sctratches that
renered the DVDs unreadable, they are junk, and need to be replaced.
Dirt won't do that, but a head that's misalligned can.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old August 4th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Apart from the comments above, also try different dvd drives. I
recently replaced my drive, and found it could read a couple of dvds I
had previously given up on.

Old August 4th 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SimonLW

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Buff radially with an automotive paste wax or Novus 2 plastic polish. It
should remove all but the deeper scratches that will need more buffing. If
data loss was caused by the scratches, this can restore the readability.
-S