Flash card failure rate?

Old December 7th 04, 01:10 AM
TAFKAB

Default Flash card failure rate?

A couple of threads ago, someone asked about the size of memory cards people
carry, and a few posters mentioned that they carry several smaller cards to
prevent losing their entire take due to the loss of one card. My questions:
how reliable are flash cards? Does anyone have any reilability data? Have
any of you experience card failure?

Old December 7th 04, 01:23 AM
Gene Palmiter

I am a working pro. I have one CF in the camera and two in my
pocket...subject to lint and, when it rains, dampness. Never had a failure.
Still using all that I have ever bought. They are of various manufacture.

Old December 7th 04, 02:28 AM
Drifter

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 01:10:16 GMT, "TAFKAB"
wrote:

A couple of threads ago, someone asked about the size of memory cards people
carry, and a few posters mentioned that they carry several smaller cards to
prevent losing their entire take due to the loss of one card. My questions:
how reliable are flash cards? Does anyone have any reilability data? Have
any of you experience card failure?

I have a number of different memory cards (smartmedia, CF, SD, etc).
Okay, I counted them all up and I have 14 cards total.

Starting from roughly 1997 to today I have had exactly 3 failures.
One CF that was Dead on Arrival (replaced same day by Penn Camera)
One SD that was Dead on Arrival (replaced same day by Staples)
One CF card that fell out of a pocket into a spinning automobile
radiator fan (my fault of course).

That's it, the sum total of the issues I've had and these cards have
gone through some accidental abuse too (washed, washed and dried,
dropped from horseback into sand, 110+ F, -20 F, and drops onto every
hard surface you can imagine (my wife helps with that one grin).

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

Old December 7th 04, 02:53 AM
John McWilliams

wrote:

[...]

There was a study - probably really a newspaper article- in which a CF
card was put through a lot of abuse. The only one they did that stopped
it was nailing to a tree. iirc.

--
John McWilliams

Old December 7th 04, 03:22 AM
Michael Meissner

"TAFKAB" writes:

A couple of threads ago, someone asked about the size of memory cards people
carry, and a few posters mentioned that they carry several smaller cards to
prevent losing their entire take due to the loss of one card. My questions:
how reliable are flash cards? Does anyone have any reilability data? Have
any of you experience card failure?

I have have several failures on smartmedia. Often times I can be able to reuse
the card by reformating them using SMPREP on my Windows box, but there seems to
be a problem with SMPREP and Windows XP service pack 2.

--
Michael Meissner
email: