I don't *think* this is reciprocity failure...

Old September 10th 12, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Ciszek

Default I don't *think* this is reciprocity failure...

I finally got a decent moon shot with my Tamron mirror lens:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3585314...n/photostream/

I was using ISO 400, started at 1/400 and worked my way up to 1/800. The
histogram of the moon was clustered around the halfway point at 1/800, so I
was wasting some of the dynamic range, but that photo looked the clearest
so I went with it and messed with the "tone" curve to make the moon nice
and bright and contrasty. Maybe a little too contrasty. Couldn't seem
to fix the chromatic aberration in the Olympus program, and I am having
a bear of a time with Lightroom 3.6

Anyway, I went back out last night to get some pictures of a fat crescent
moon (~40%) and thought I would switch to ISO 200 to make it less grainy,
and shot at 1/200, 1/320, and 1/400 of a second. Halve the film speed,
double the exposure time, right? But for some reason that's not what
happened. The images were very underexposed, with the right tail of the
histogram barely reaching the midpoint at 1/200; the 1/200 images were
unusable for other reasons, but the others are so dark that I can't
reliably separate the "moon" from the "night sky" in the histogram.
Why would this be?

The Waning moon seems to have most of the mare (seas); could that be it?

--
Please reply to: | "If more of us valued food and cheer and song
pciszek at panix dot com | above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Old September 10th 12, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff

(Paul Ciszek) wrote in
:

I finally got a decent moon shot with my Tamron mirror lens:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3585314...l/in/photostre
[...]

A crescent moon requires more exposure than a full moon. You are simply
underexposing at ISO 200 and 1/200. Here is a calculator that gives you
approximate shutter speeds based on the other data you plug in.
http://www.adidap.com/2006/12/06/moo...re-calculator/

Old September 10th 12, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Jeff writes:

(Paul Ciszek) wrote in
:

[...]

Okay, but *why* does it need a different exposure? The part that's lit
is lit by direct sun still.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old September 10th 12, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Ciszek

In article ,
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Okay, but *why* does it need a different exposure? The part that's lit
is lit by direct sun still.

I am ashamed that I didn't realize this myself: When the moon is a
crescent, no part of what you are seeing is illuminated "full on", by
sunlight perpendicular to the surface. You are looking at ground that
is illuminated by slanted sunlight, delivering less light per unit area
of ground. The angle that the ground makes to your line of sight may
figure into this as well, depending on the scattering characteristics of
the lunar surface.

Old September 10th 12, 10:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 10/09/2012 19:12, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Jeff writes:

(Paul Ciszek) wrote in
:

[...]

Hold a tennis ball up at arms length in the sunlight and walk around it.
You will quickly see why the Earth-Moon-Sun angle matters.

The terminator is at sunset or sunrise with the sunlight hitting the
ground at near to grazing incidence. The same is true on the Earth
midday is a lot brighter than dawn or dusk with the sun low in the sky.

Martin Brown
Old September 11th 12, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 9/9/2012 9:20 PM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
[...]

I like the esthetics of your result.

--