First "true" digital rangefinder camera

Old March 4th 15, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default First

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson:
That is the Canon 61 point AF array. It
has no functional similarity to the above mentioned Nikon
91K RGB sensor.

Sandman:
You don't say? :-D

Floyd L. Davidson:
If you were aware of that it certainly wasn't obvious from what
you said.

Sandman:
Your reading comprehension problems is of no concern to me. You
jumped into a thread where I have been talking about focusing
sensors for many posts and you misunderstood simple english and
decided to post about the obvious.

Nice try, but what you said then isn't what you say now.

Tell us again how Nikon's 91K RGB sensor is used to auto focus the
lens... :-)

I'll leave that to you, you're used to making idiotic claims.

cop out.

the answer is "it isn't".

it's used to *help* the actual autofocus system work in some cases.
Old March 4th 15, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

Which is exactly what I meant above. It is most certainly used for
focusing,

nope.

although it's part of the autofocus system and can be used to
*choose* an autofocus point

I.e. "used for focusing". You have a nack of starting your post with a "Nope"
and then agree with what is being said.

The 91K RGB sensor is not part of the auto focus system. I it is not
used for focusing.

it is part of the autofocus system, since as i said, it is used to
automatically choose autofocus points, something *you* even admit is
the case.

removal of that sensor will reduce the functionality of the autofocus
system. that's how it's 'part of the autofocus system'.
Old March 4th 15, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default First true rangefinder

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

and stepless aperture is well known in the industry and has been
for *decades*, back to the days of film.

Sandman:
Cool, so how come none of my cameras seem to employ it when "they
all do"?

because you don't know what it is you're looking at.

the coupling pin is stepless which means that aperture selection can
only be stepless.

the steps are a function of the click-detents of the control wheel
or the click-detents of an aperture ring. if the camera is set to
p/s, neither applies.

bottom line, any f/stop can be used. it is *not* restricted to the
standard f/stops and standard increments.

You had to snip out the context. Here it is:

Sandman: I've never ever owned a camera that shoots in f/8.222
nospam: bull****. they all do
Sandman: So they shoot in f/8.222 but record f/8 in the EXIF?
nospam: i've seen non-standard f/stops in images.
Sandman: You said "they all do", so it should be in all images, yet I can't
see it any images from Nikon D70, D80, D800E, D3s, D4 or Sony A6000,
A7 and RX1R.

You have now spent two post failing to support that any of those, let alone
"all" cameras record steeples aperture/shutter in EXIF.

So, more hot air, still no support.

plenty of support, plus as you would say, "it's obvious".

i cited info from nikon that supports what i said, and one look at the
lens mount confirms it anyway.

you're just spewing the hot air bull**** because you can't admit you're
wrong, again,
Old March 4th 15, 09:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , nospam wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson:
That is the Canon 61 point AF array. It
has no functional similarity to the above mentioned Nikon
91K RGB sensor.

Sandman:
You don't say? :-D

Floyd L. Davidson:
If you were aware of that it certainly wasn't obvious from what
you said.

Sandman:
Your reading comprehension problems is of no concern to me. You
jumped into a thread where I have been talking about focusing
sensors for many posts and you misunderstood simple english and
decided to post about the obvious.

how is it you get a free pass on 'the obvious' but whenever anyone
else says it's obvious, you say it's unproven, hot air, etc.

Difference is that Floyd posted about the obvious, not me. He joined the
thread and posted obvious things that I had been saying all along.

It's another thing when someone makes a claim and then instead of supporting
it says it's "obvious" when asked to support it.

--
Sandman
Old March 4th 15, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , nospam wrote:

nospam:
it also has nothing to do with the size of an autofocus point
which is the original issue.

Sandman:
No ****, Sherlock. Again, what I've said the entire time.

then why did you bring up the rgb sensor, if it has nothing to do
with the issue?

Because 'Me' posted about the focusing sensor being several hundred of pixels
big, which they aren't (he later explained that he meant that the correlating
area of the focusing sensor would be several hundred pixels on the same area
of the image sensor - which I doubt either way), which I said was incorrect
and then brought up that the closest thing is the RGB sensor in new Nikon
cameras that does have enough pixels for that correlation to work.

Sandman:
I didn't say it replaced the dedicated focusing
sensors. This was about the claim that the focusing sensors
are hundreds of pixels large, and Nikon is using a 91k RGB
sensor to aid in focusing, especially when it comes to face
recognition and 3D tracking.

nospam:
you're confusing two different things.

Sandman:
Ironic.

nope.

Yes, ironic.

you're trying to wiggle out of admitting you're wrong.

I always admit when I'm wrong.

--
Sandman
Old March 4th 15, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , nospam wrote:

[...]

Of course, no said it was.

it's used to *help* the actual autofocus system work in some cases.

Deja vu, sounds like something I just said.

--
Sandman
Old March 4th 15, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , nospam wrote:

nospam:
[...]

I.e. no support.

plus as you would say, "it's obvious".

It would be obvious if any of those camera had stepples EXIF data, which they
don't. Still waiting for support.

i cited info from nikon that supports what i said, and one look at
the lens mount confirms it anyway.

The issue was the actual EXIF data in the images. You know, the thing you said
you've seen in all cameras.

you're just spewing the hot air bull**** because you can't admit
you're wrong, again,

I always admit when I'm wrong, when contradicting facts are shown to me. I'm
still waiting.

--
Sandman
Old March 4th 15, 11:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

nospam wrote:
In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

Which is exactly what I meant above. It is most certainly used for
focusing,

nope.

although it's part of the autofocus system and can be used to
*choose* an autofocus point

I.e. "used for focusing". You have a nack of starting your post with a "Nope"
and then agree with what is being said.

The 91K RGB sensor is not part of the auto focus system. I it is not
used for focusing.

it is part of the autofocus system, since as i said, it is used to
automatically choose autofocus points, something *you* even admit is
the case.

removal of that sensor will reduce the functionality of the autofocus
system. that's how it's 'part of the autofocus system'.

The Auto Focus system will work with or without the RGB sensor for the
exposure system. As Nikon describes it, data from the exposure system
is integrated in the Auto Focus for tracking (not for focusing).

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old March 4th 15, 11:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Sandman wrote:
In article , nospam wrote:

[...]

I post about you saying obviously incorrect things.

It's another thing when someone makes a claim and then instead of supporting
it says it's "obvious" when asked to support it.

Like you do!

Just to point out the obvious, here is where you said
specifically that the 91K RGB sensor is used for
autofocusing:

"No, this isn't true. Most focus sensor are a couple
of pixels wide and a dozen high. Only lately have
high end Nikon cameras started using a 91K RGB
sensor for autofocus as well as face detection and
dynamic lighting. You can read about it he"

Don't blame others for your poor understanding, or poor writing,
which ever that actually is.

Old March 5th 15, 07:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

Sandman:
Difference is that Floyd posted about the obvious, not me. He
joined the thread and posted obvious things that I had been saying
all along.

I post about you saying obviously incorrect things.

Incorrect.

Sandman:
It's another thing when someone makes a claim and then instead of
supporting it says it's "obvious" when asked to support it.

Like you do!

Never.

Just to point out the obvious, here is where you said specifically
that the 91K RGB sensor is used for autofocusing:

"No, this isn't true. Most focus sensor are a couple of pixels
wide and a dozen high. Only lately have high end Nikon cameras
started using a 91K RGB sensor for autofocus as well as face
detection and dynamic lighting. You can read about it he"

All true. It isn't used *instead* of a focusing sensor array, it is used in
conjunction with one.

Don't blame others for your poor understanding, or poor writing,
which ever that actually is.

Your reading comprehension is well known, yes. If you don't understand something,
feel free to ask and I will explain it for you.

--
Sandman