WARNING: This is a photograph

Old January 27th 15, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Whiskers

Default WARNING: This is a photograph

On 2015-01-27, Eric Stevens wrote:
On 27 Jan 2015 14:11:52 GMT, Whiskers

On 2015-01-25, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Whiskers wrote:
I tend to use "imagemagick" or "graphicsmagick" to download image
files without the usual browser overheads.

How do you use ImageMagick to download files?

From a Linux command prompt:

$ display
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../LR--00126.jpg

Pardon my ignorance but where does ImageMagick fit into that?

"ImageMagickĀ® is a software suite to create, edit, compose, or convert
bitmap images." http://www.imagemagick.org/

See also http://www.graphicsmagick.org/

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
Old January 27th 15, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Whiskers

On 2015-01-27, Eric Stevens wrote:
On 27 Jan 2015 15:11:45 GMT, Whiskers

On 2015-01-25, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

So the regulars here have probably seen this before, but for demo purposes,
and the benefit of newcomers, or lurkers, here is one of my images resized
with Lightroom to what I believe is a reasonable size.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ef7v7exxua1g805/DNC_5166-Edit-1.jpg?dl=0

A striking image; I'd be very pleased to get anything like that -
although I suspect I'd get too airsick using a long lens for air-to-air
photography! Was this part of an air show? I think the exif data
indicates the location was an airport.

I'm curious about what caused the sharply drawn pale blue outline around
much of the fuselage.

That's strange: I don't see it.

It's quite clear from normal viewing distance, full size, on my screen -
1440x900 17" laptop. Using the middle-distance portion of my trifocals.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
Old January 27th 15, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Whiskers

On 2015-01-25, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Whiskers wrote:
I tend to use "imagemagick" or "graphicsmagick" to download image
files without the usual browser overheads.

How do you use ImageMagick to download files?

From a Linux command prompt:

$ display
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../LR--00126.jpg

Well, that clears up the multi-bitch debate you provoked. Why did you
leave answering Floyd so long? Was that intentional, or was it just a
way to screw with certain folks here? :-)

My absence was unplanned, without any malice aforethought. Any side
effects are purely fortuitous.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
Old January 27th 15, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

On 2015-01-25, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Whiskers wrote:
I tend to use "imagemagick" or "graphicsmagick" to download image files
without the usual browser overheads.

How do you use ImageMagick to download files?

From a Linux command prompt:

$ display https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../LR--00126.jpg

Pardon my ignorance but where does ImageMagick fit into that?

Smack in the middle!

ImageMagick is a package, with a number of tools. The
most commonly used are /convert/ and /mogrify/, with
perhaps /display/ next. Others a "identify",
"composite", "montage", "compare", "stream", "animate",
"import", and "conjure".

It is a set of command line utilities that can do just
about anything. If you need something scripted, this is
the way to go.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old January 27th 15, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Whiskers

On 2015-01-27, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Sandman wrote:
In article , Whiskers wrote:

Floyd L. Davidson:
Personally I use wget for that purpose, and I have no idea how
one would do it with ImageMagick.

I wouldn't be surprised if imagemagick uses wget or curl to handle
the http.

It actually uses the nanoftp and nanohttp parts of the libxml library.

nospam:
the thread is about serving up images in an appropriate size,
which is one use for imagemagick. i'm surprised you don't know
that.

he's no doubt using it server-side to resize an image for a *user*
to download.

No, he isn't.

Ok, but using ImageMagick to download images isn't all that common, so
honest assumption.

But I don't own the server on which the image resides.

Also, if I'm not mistaken (I don't use X server), "display" doesn't
download the image to the hard drive, i.e. it only uses nanohttp to read
from the network to RAM and display it in X. While "technically"
downloading, it's not a common usage of the word. BUt, as I said -
appropriate for your specific use of the command where you presumably don't
want to save it to the hard drive.

Causing display to save the image is a few mouse clicks away,
though I don't know if that has to be interactive or not.

There's a command line option to "-write filename" (one of getting on
for 100 options) but I wouldn't use that unless I knew I wanted to keep
it. I could of course automate that with an alias or script. While
it's running, display has an extensive interactive menu on screen; about
as close as imagemagick gets to a GUI.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
Old January 27th 15, 10:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

On 2015-01-27, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Sandman wrote:
In article , Whiskers wrote:

[...]

Display is the only ImageMagic tool that uses a GUI.

Old January 27th 15, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Savageduck wrote:
On 2015-01-25, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Whiskers wrote:
I tend to use "imagemagick" or "graphicsmagick" to download image files
without the usual browser overheads.

How do you use ImageMagick to download files?

From a Linux command prompt:

$ display https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../LR--00126.jpg

Well, that clears up the multi-bitch debate you provoked.
Why did you leave answering Floyd so long? Was that intentional, or was it
just a way to screw with certain folks here? :-)

He very conveniently provide a couple people all the rope
they needed to hang themselves.

You and nospam are now sputtering, as you slowly choke and
the crowd cheers.

Why are you dragging me into the tent with nospam & Jonas?
...or is it that you couldn't resist painting me with your distain?

Ouch! My humble apologies! That wasn't meant to be
what it says.

I was interrupted while writing and came back and
finished it with a mistaken mind set about who I was
responding to. I regret that!

I have made no comment on, or speculated on the way Whiskers uses
ImageMagic.

Personally, I don't use ImageMagic, and I am certainly not a web designer,
or Linux user. As such I have no idea of the validity of any of nospam's,
or Jonas' conjecture in this case.

If I am going to share an image file I use Dropbox, or Adobe CC to post a
resized version, or a fat original.

That should not have been directed at you. You may be
guilty of a huge variety of nefarious things, Sir...
but you are not a nospam and you are not a Sandman, much
to your credit!

Apology accepted.

--
Savageduck
Old January 27th 15, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2015-01-25, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

So the regulars here have probably seen this before, but for demo purposes,
and the benefit of newcomers, or lurkers, here is one of my images resized
with Lightroom to what I believe is a reasonable size.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ef7v7exxua1g805/DNC_5166-Edit-1.jpg?dl=0

A striking image; I'd be very pleased to get anything like that -
although I suspect I'd get too airsick using a long lens for air-to-air
photography! Was this part of an air show? I think the exif data
indicates the location was an airport.

I'm curious about what caused the sharply drawn pale blue outline around
much of the fuselage.

That's strange: I don't see it.

It's quite clear from normal viewing distance, full size, on my screen -
1440x900 17" laptop. Using the middle-distance portion of my trifocals.

I'm looking at a 24" 1920 x 1200, using either my progressive lenses
or the glasses designed for closeup work, and I don't see it. Does
anyone else see it?

Eric Stevens
Old January 27th 15, 10:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2015-01-25, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Whiskers wrote:
I tend to use "imagemagick" or "graphicsmagick" to download image
files without the usual browser overheads.

How do you use ImageMagick to download files?

From a Linux command prompt:

$ display
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../LR--00126.jpg

Pardon my ignorance but where does ImageMagick fit into that?

"ImageMagick® is a software suite to create, edit, compose, or convert
bitmap images." http://www.imagemagick.org/

See also http://www.graphicsmagick.org/

Yep, I understand all that. Does 'display' call ImageMagick?

Eric Stevens
Old January 27th 15, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2015-01-25, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Whiskers wrote:
I tend to use "imagemagick" or "graphicsmagick" to download image files
without the usual browser overheads.

How do you use ImageMagick to download files?

From a Linux command prompt:

$ display
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../LR--00126.jpg

Pardon my ignorance but where does ImageMagick fit into that?

Smack in the middle!

ImageMagick is a package, with a number of tools. The
most commonly used are /convert/ and /mogrify/, with
perhaps /display/ next. Others a "identify",
"composite", "montage", "compare", "stream", "animate",
"import", and "conjure".

It is a set of command line utilities that can do just
about anything. If you need something scripted, this is
the way to go.

I get it.

Eric Stevens

Warning Digital Digital Photography 8 January 10th 08 12:55 AM
Warning! If you get an email Charles Schuler Digital Photography 38 February 6th 06 09:18 AM
When does a photograph stop becoming a photograph? baker1 Digital Photography 41 December 29th 05 07:04 PM
WARNING maark General Equipment For Sale 4 July 28th 03 07:38 PM
WARNING maark Digital Photo Equipment For Sale 3 July 28th 03 07:19 AM