National Park Photography [re" Ansel Adams Act]

Old January 22nd 15, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Default National Park Photography [re" Ansel Adams Act]

I've done a bit of traveling in my time, visited a few national parks
and landmarks, and never had my right to make photographs questioned.

Can anyone tell me which parks or landmarks or other federally-managed
recreation areas or public lands restrict or tax photography?

I cite the national museums in Washington D.C. Except in the rare case
of loan works, including modern ones that may be under copyright, the
policy of the National Gallery (e.g.) is "Of course you may photograph
that Rembrandt. After all, you own it."

Want to copy a work? The official rules read "The National Gallery of
Art copyist program has been in operation since the Gallery opened in
1941. A permit issued by the registrar's office is required for copying
works of art in oil or any other liquid medium. The Gallery provides
permit holders with an easel, stool, and drop cloth; private easels are
not allowed. Visitors may sketch with pencils or other dry media in the
galleries without a permit."

As for federally controlled national security establishments, the
people have had their say on that matter in several national security
and espionage laws. The right of the people to restrict access,
including photography and other surveillance, at designated sites is
settled law.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old January 22nd 15, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-01-22 01:04:23 +0000, Davoud said:

I've done a bit of traveling in my time, visited a few national parks
and landmarks, and never had my right to make photographs questioned.

Can anyone tell me which parks or landmarks or other federally-managed
recreation areas or public lands restrict or tax photography?

There are general rules and specific rules. Most National Parks and
National Monuments allow recreational photography without restriction.

There are some restrictions in parts of Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol
Reef National Parks where public access is restricted. They do have
limited number guide led photo-tours into those areas.

Then there are the rule which apply to commercial photography &
filming, for which permits from the NPS are required. One group which
falls into this category are the various photo-pro workshops. They have
to have an NPS permit ant the numbers in the workshop are restricted.
Sometimes these workshops gain special access to area at times very
popular sites such as the slot canyons would be closed to regular
tourist traffic.
....but they are paying for that uncrowded access.

The Antelope Canyon Slots falls into the Navajo National Parks system,
not NPS, and the tribe controls all access for tour operators, they
have their own set of rules for guide led photo tours. On limited
number tours only are tripods permitted, and the guides decide what
constitutes appropriate photo equipment. If you have a problem with
that take it up with the tribal council.

Here is a lesson learned by one workshop operator.
http://digital-photography-school.com/national-park-photography-workshop-permits-are-they-really-necessary/

[...]

Savageduck

Old January 22nd 15, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-01-22 01:04:23 +0000, Davoud said:

[...]

If you want to shoot in Antelope Canyon this is your only option:
http://www.navajoantelopecanyon.com/tours.html

Old January 22nd 15, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/21/2015 8:04 PM, Davoud wrote:
[...]

IIRC I was taking photos in one of the galeries in DC, and told by one
of the guards that photos were not permitted. I politely showed him that
I was not taking photos of the exhibit, but of people loooking at the
exhibit. He laughed at on of my images showing someone in a ridiculous
posture and just asked me not to use flash. I suspect this happened at
the Calder, but cannot say for sure. There must be some policy, but I
saw no signs.

--
PeterN
Old January 23rd 15, 12:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Davoud:
[...]

PeterN:
IIRC I was taking photos in one of the galeries in DC, and told by one
of the guards that photos were not permitted...

To avoid the spread of FUD you must say what museum it was. There are a
number of private museums in Washington. For the Smithsonian, which is
owned by the people, the rules are as I stated above.

Old January 23rd 15, 12:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Davoud:
I've done a bit of traveling in my time, visited a few national parks
and landmarks, and never had my right to make photographs questioned.

Can anyone tell me which parks or landmarks or other federally-managed
recreation areas or public lands restrict or tax photography?

Savageduck:
There are general rules and specific rules. Most National Parks and
National Monuments allow recreational photography without restriction.

Most? Which parks or monuments restrict photography?

There are some restrictions in parts of Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol
Reef National Parks where public access is restricted. They do have
limited number guide led photo-tours into those areas.

Restricting access to certain fragile environments is a different
matter, unrelated to photography per se. Those who are permitted to
enter these zones will find no restrictions on photography.

Then there are the rule which apply to commercial photography &
filming, for which permits from the NPS are required.

Not entirely true. There are no restrictions on commercial use of
photographs that you make in national parks &c. The need to have a
permit comes when you want to go in with a crew, especially a film
location crew, which can amount to a hundred or more people.

The Antelope Canyon Slots falls into the Navajo National Parks system,
not NPS, and the tribe controls all access for tour operators, they
have their own set of rules for guide led photo tours.

Yes, another special case, not on public land.

Old January 23rd 15, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/22/2015 6:39 PM, Davoud wrote:
Davoud:
[...]

I do not recall which museum. It was definitely in DC, And was
definitely on the Mall, most likely the Calder as that is our favorite.
But, I am not certain which one. It is possible that the incident
happened where there was an exhibit on loan. I didn't then, and do not
now, consider the issue to be overly important. If my comment does nbot
satify you, there is nothing i can do about it.

--
PeterN
Old January 23rd 15, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

PeterN:
IIRC I was taking photos in one of the galeries in DC, and told by one
of the guards that photos were not permitted...

Davoud:
To avoid the spread of FUD you must say what museum it was. There are a
number of private museums in Washington. For the Smithsonian, which is
owned by the people, the rules are as I stated above.

PeterN:
I do not recall which museum. It was definitely in DC, And was
definitely on the Mall, most likely the Calder as that is our favorite.
But, I am not certain which one. It is possible that the incident
happened where there was an exhibit on loan. I didn't then, and do not
now, consider the issue to be overly important. If my comment does nbot
satify you, there is nothing i can do about it.

Hmmm. There is no "Calder" museum on the National Mall, or anywhere
else in Washington, as near as I can determine. Must have been an
exhibit of privately owned works at one of the Smithsonian museums.

There is a list of Smithsonian museums here http://www.si.edu/Museums.

Old January 24th 15, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Davoud wrote:
PeterN:
[...]

Yup!
I have taken photographs in the National Gallery, the Hirschhorn, and the
Air & Space Museum, without being harassed by any staff. The Hirschhorn has
some Calder works in the sculpture garden, and one might think of it as a
"Calder" museum, but it is not.

--
Savageduck
Old January 24th 15, 03:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/23/2015 4:43 PM, Davoud wrote:
PeterN:
[...]

Here are some links. It looks like my memory was wrong about the Mall,
but it is in DC.

http://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/calder/realsp/roomenter-foyer.htm
http://www.google.com/webhp?nord=1#nord=1&q=alexander+calder+museum+dc
http://americanart.si.edu/visit/hours/dwrcmap.cfm