Ansel Adam Act H.R.5893

Old January 22nd 15, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Default Ansel Adam Act H.R.5893

Tony Cooper:
I think that boredom figures in greatly. A regular police officer has
far more to do than a building security guard. The building security
guard may hassle a photographer just to break up the monotony.

Seriously? You think that some security guards have harassing
photographers as their hobby?

Once again, I would note that in more than half a century of making
pictures I have never been questioned by a building security guard.
Store window displays, Apple-Store exteriors, ornate buildings of all
sorts. Of course, it is not my habit to photograph bank lobbies,
federal buildings other than popular tourist attractions from a
reasonable distance, defense establishments, and the like. I would like
to see substantiated first-hand accounts from photographers who have
been hassled by security guards while photographing a building in an
innocuous way.

In many cities showing up on a busy street with a crew and a lighting
kit is going to require a permit. Public safety issue.

A policeman is also aware that a confrontation of any kind with a
citizen can lead to an arrest, and an arrest means paperwork and a
court appearance. If it occurs near the end of his shift/watch, it
may mean overtime with no overtime pay. A citizen complaint can be
part of his permanent record.

No such problems for the private security guard. If it gets out of
hand, he hands it over to a cop.

Do you know of instances where police have ignored crimes in progress
(not harmless misdemeanors) to avoid paperwork? Can a security guard,
or the company that employs him, not be sued?

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old January 22nd 15, 02:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"Whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 21 January 2015 15:21:25 UTC, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 1/20/2015 11:50 PM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

Agreed. Those rights need to be spelt out to the various
enforcement
agencies. Park Rangers and other LEOs need to know the difference
between a commercial shoot requiring permits and appropriate
waivers,
and a hobbyist photographer, or tourist snap-shooter. They need to
understand that violations of those fundamental rights could be
career
damaging. It seems like another training issue to me.
An enhanced version of the First Amendment is not necessary.

In one of our State parks the Ranger in charge insists he can tell
pro from an amateur, just by looking at them. His theory is that if
you use a tripod and gray card, you must be a pro. A letter to his
supervisor solved the problem.

But in the meantime, he could, at best, make you leave the park or,
at
worst, arrest you. Just because he can. That's the problem - they
can
do what they wish and likely will not suffer any consequences.

In the UK they are issuing police with wearable webcam to monitor what
occurs.
Tht has the possiblity to reduce such problems.
One could say the camera never lies ;-)

The cameras can be turned on and off at will, despite what some may
claim:

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/20...p-body-camera/

Old January 22nd 15, 02:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 1/21/15 10:26 AM, in article , "PeterN"
wrote:

On 1/21/2015 11:00 AM, George Kerby wrote:

On 1/20/15 9:55 PM, in article , "Davoud"
wrote:

Tony Cooper:

I rarely find anything to like about Texas politicians, but
U.S. Representative Steve Stockman (R) is now on my "like" list.

He is the sponsor of the Ansel Adams Act (H.R. 5893) that will protect
the rights of the First Amendment rights of photographers from
regulations and prohibitions by the federal government.

Read the article at

http://petapixel.com/2015/01/09/opinion-comes-ansel-adams-act-devil-details
/

The full text of the proposed legislation is at:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-...bill/5893/text

What a looney bin Texas is! The First Amendment does not require
supplements for photographers, butchers, bakers, or candlestick makers.

If Texas lawmakers want to do something useful they should focus on
fixing their schools (among the worst in the country), safeguarding
women's rights, and getting serious about water conservation.

Proving again that you don't know **** from Shinola:

http://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-best-schools/5335/

The WORST? Where all of the a-holes work: D.C., no surprise there...

Texas has one of the best, if not THE best economies of any state, and guess
what? NO Income Tax. One of a few in the whole nation.

I bet you are from a ******** like Chicago or Detroit, where DimRats have
been running thing and stealing the people blind.

Wendy Davis got her ass handed to her, because she supported "women's
rights" of abortion on demand, as she should have.

You ever hear of something called a "drought", like what is happening in
SoCal at this moment. Tell us how YOU would manage and control weather, oh
grand BS master?

And oil has nothing to do with the economy. IOW every time I fill my car
I am paying taxes to Texas.

Sure, if you live here. Otherwise, you pay taxes to your own state/province
and Uncle Softie, whose minions want to raise them - because they aren't
getting enough alrerady. Google it!

Old January 22nd 15, 02:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

http://petapixel.com/2015/01/09/opin...t-devil-detail
[...]

I completely disagree. Since we have to pay less for our energy, we
have more disposable income to spend on other things. That will help
the economy. We were paying four buck a gallon not long ago. We're
paying almost half that now, that leaves extra money in out pockets to
spend on something else.

That's just what the boys in DC are thinking and they have their hands in
you pocket and they AIN'T there to play "pool"...

Old January 22nd 15, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PeterN" wrote in message
[...]

Yes I'm pretty sure the London ones can be turned off and on too, most
things can.

A LEO can turn his/her bodycam off at will and I suspect they will do so
if their misconduct is going to be recorded. If it is recorded, you may
have a fight on your hands trying to gain access to the video:

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/130209878.html

Old January 22nd 15, 06:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/21/2015 4:14 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

In one of our State parks the Ranger in charge insists he can tell a pro
from an amateur, just by looking at them. His theory is that if you use
a tripod and gray card, you must be a pro. A letter to his supervisor
solved the problem.

you should write a letter to the mayor of new york city, since they
also use a tripod as the differentiator.

Why!
Besides your informaton is outdated. So long as the tripod does not
cause an obstruction,you are OK

who defines what is an obstruction?

if a cop says you're obstructing something, are you going to argue or
pack your stuff and move?

Read the NYC code and the rules about photography. Then comment.

it doesn't matter what the code says. if a cop tells you to move along,
you move along, and maybe *later* follow up on it.

telling the cop that such and such code says he's wrong is not going to
end well, especially in new york where cops choke people for no reason.

Your advice is appreciated. Nothing promotes tyranny so much as
conceding to it.

--
PeterN
Old January 22nd 15, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

wrote:

[...]

A hearty "Amen" to that!

Old January 22nd 15, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

if a cop says you're obstructing something, are you going to argue or
pack your stuff and move?

Read the NYC code and the rules about photography. Then comment.

it doesn't matter what the code says. if a cop tells you to move along,
you move along, and maybe *later* follow up on it.

telling the cop that such and such code says he's wrong is not going to
end well, especially in new york where cops choke people for no reason.

Your advice is appreciated. Nothing promotes tyranny so much as
conceding to it.

there's a time and place to voice your opposition. arguing with a cop
is not that time, unless you enjoy spending a night or two in jail.
Old January 22nd 15, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/22/2015 9:30 AM, George Kerby wrote:

snip

An

That's just what the boys in DC are thinking and they have their hands in
you pocket and they AIN'T there to play "pool"...

Sounds like you like to play pocket pool.

--
PeterN