Finding restaurants

Old January 19th 15, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

Default Finding restaurants

"Tony Cooper" wrote in message
A poster here has repeatedly whinged about not being able to find good
restaurants in the tourist corridor of the Orlando area. Hardly
surprising because 1) he was looking for good restaurants in an area
where simply being open is all it takes to attract customers, and 2)
"good" is a subjective judgment that is based primarily on acquired
taste.

Most adults feel that "good", in restaurant fare, is what they are
used to and have found to be "good" over time. A restaurant in a
country other than their own is not likely to serve the type of dish,
prepared in the way they are used to, and spiced the way they are used
to.

US Chain restaurants have some advantage to the traveler. When
traveling in the US, I know I will find what I consider to be good
food in an Outback Steakhouse or a Carrabba's Italian Grill. I know
that the food in an Olive Garden or a Denny's is not going to be
something I will enjoy. I have no illusions that others will share
this opinion. I pick a restaurant to please me, not others.

I'm with you there, I like Outback Steakhouse and my wife and I eat at
Carrabba's most Friday nights. For a chain restaurant, I think
Carrabba's is exceptional. Another chain I like is Famous Dave's BBQ.
I've had BBQ from some non-chain places in Manhattan that are rated very
highly regarded and I found Famous Dave's ribs to be superior. I skip
Denny's and the Olive Garden, not a fan. There is a Denny's on Long
Island now. When it opened, people flocked to it and the wait time was
close to two hours to get a table. Two hours for a table at Denny's!
We have the finest diners all over Long Island, to think that people
would wait for a table at Denny's when right up the block is a great
diner that makes Denny's look like a slop house.

While I like Carrabba's, I wouldn't recommend it to a person from
Europe. American Italian-style food is not the same as what a
European may be used to. Certainly not what an Italian is used to.

When traveling in small towns where there are no chain restaurants
that I consider to be acceptable, I look for local places with a lot
of cars in the parking lot and a full crowd. The food may not be
great, but my chances of getting a good meal are better if the locals
patronize the place. For this reason, I try to stop for dinner at
regular dinner hours.

I've traveled extensively in Europe, and had both hits and misses. The
independently owned restaurant is more prevalent in Europe, so there's
no experience factor involved in choosing restaurants. In Europe, the
full parking lot and the presence of a crowd in a restaurant is not a
dependable way to choose. The better restaurants often don't have
on-site parking, and the crowd in the place only means that this
restaurant offers what the local crowd likes. That can be quite
different from the style of food that I like.

I've never used Yelp or that type of thing for a recommendation. It's
ridiculous to do so. Yelp recommendations are often "salted" by the
restaurant.

The last trip my wife and I made out-of-town was to Tarpon Springs to
see the Epiphany festival and the diving for the cross. Tarpon
Spring's sponge dock area is what would be considered to be a tourist
area. The most recommended restaurant had a wait time of 45 minutes
for lunch (and you had to wait outside in the cold), so we just picked
a place at random. Turned out to be an excellent meal. Luck of the
draw.

My mother and step-father live not far from there, in Spring Hill. When
we visit, we go to Tarpon Springs and we've enjoyed the food there,
we've not had a bad experience.

Had the poster asked me for recommendation (fat chance!), I would have
suggested trying places that serve a cuisine totally different from
what he's used to...Sonny's for barbecue, a Cuban restaurant, a
Southern-style restaurant, or a Mexican restaurant (not Taco Bell!).
He may or may not like it, but be adventurous. Take your chances.
That's one of the interesting things about travel.

Sonny's? I'll have to remember that name when I find myself in the area
again.

Old January 19th 15, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 1/19/2015 10:33 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 09:59:21 -0500, "PAS"
wrote:

snip

Sonny's? I'll have to remember that name when I find myself in the area
again.

I picked Sonny's because it is a locally-owned barbeque chain that
might be found in the tourist area. I'll go to a Sonny's when I'm out
of the Orlando area. When in the Orlando area, I'll go to Four Rivers
or Bubbalou's.

There is a Sonny's in Spring Hill.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...l_Florida.html

There are Sonny's all over the South.

http://www.sonnysbbq.com/locations

I would rate it good. Not the best, but far better than the imitations
like Famous Dave's.

One of the best I've had was Uncle Bubba's near Savannah. GA.

--
PeterN
Old January 19th 15, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 1/19/2015 10:33 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 09:59:21 -0500, "PAS"
wrote:

snip

Sonny's? I'll have to remember that name when I find myself in the
area
again.

I picked Sonny's because it is a locally-owned barbeque chain that
might be found in the tourist area. I'll go to a Sonny's when I'm
out
of the Orlando area. When in the Orlando area, I'll go to Four
Rivers
or Bubbalou's.

There is a Sonny's in Spring Hill.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...l_Florida.html

There are Sonny's all over the South.

http://www.sonnysbbq.com/locations

I would rate it good. Not the best, but far better than the imitations
like Famous Dave's.

Dave is no imitator, he's won many, many awards for his BBQ and sauces.

One of the best I've had was Uncle Bubba's near Savannah. GA.

Old January 19th 15, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 1/19/2015 12:01 PM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 1/19/2015 10:33 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 09:59:21 -0500, "PAS"
wrote:

snip

Sonny's? I'll have to remember that name when I find myself in the
area
again.

I picked Sonny's because it is a locally-owned barbeque chain that
might be found in the tourist area. I'll go to a Sonny's when I'm out
of the Orlando area. When in the Orlando area, I'll go to Four Rivers
or Bubbalou's.

There is a Sonny's in Spring Hill.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...l_Florida.html

There are Sonny's all over the South.

http://www.sonnysbbq.com/locations

I would rate it good. Not the best, but far better than the imitations
like Famous Dave's.

Dave is no imitator, he's won many, many awards for his BBQ and sauces.

If you get a chance, go to Mara's in Syosset, or Dinasour, in the City.
IMHO the best is Mo Gridders. If you want to sit down and eat, there is
a room in his body shop.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/24/dining/reviews/24unde.html?_r=0

Old January 19th 15, 07:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 1/19/2015 12:01 PM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 1/19/2015 10:33 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 09:59:21 -0500, "PAS"
wrote:

snip

[...]

I've had Dinosaur's BBQ at the Big Apple BBQ Fest in Manhattan. I
thought it was exceptional.

Old January 19th 15, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"Tony Cooper" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 11:54:09 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 1/19/2015 10:33 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 09:59:21 -0500, "PAS"
wrote:

snip

Sonny's? I'll have to remember that name when I find myself in the
area
again.

I picked Sonny's because it is a locally-owned barbeque chain that
might be found in the tourist area. I'll go to a Sonny's when I'm
out
of the Orlando area. When in the Orlando area, I'll go to Four
Rivers
or Bubbalou's.

There is a Sonny's in Spring Hill.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...l_Florida.html

There are Sonny's all over the South.

http://www.sonnysbbq.com/locations

I would rate it good. Not the best, but far better than the imitations
like Famous Dave's.

One of the best I've had was Uncle Bubba's near Savannah. GA.

The best barbeque that I've ever had was at Dreamland in Tuscaloosa,
Alabama. My son went to University of Alabama, and when we went up to
Tuscaloosa Dreamland was always part of the trip.

What style of BBQ do they do? I love BBQ but I don't like the Carolina
style sauce, too much vinegar. I like the thick, sweet sauce but I have
to eat it in moderation because of all the sugar. I've never had a
taste for spicy food, it gets to me really quick. To give you an idea
how spicy food gets to me, have you ever had Popeye's spicy chicken? I
took one bite and it felt like my mouth was on fire.

Old January 19th 15, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 1/19/15 PDT 11:52 AM, PAS wrote:
"Tony Cooper" wrote in message

The best barbeque that I've ever had was at Dreamland in Tuscaloosa,
Alabama. My son went to University of Alabama, and when we went up to
Tuscaloosa Dreamland was always part of the trip.

What style of BBQ do they do? I love BBQ but I don't like the Carolina
style sauce, too much vinegar. I like the thick, sweet sauce but I have
to eat it in moderation because of all the sugar. I've never had a
taste for spicy food, it gets to me really quick. To give you an idea
how spicy food gets to me, have you ever had Popeye's spicy chicken? I
took one bite and it felt like my mouth was on fire.

I like both, but prefer the Carolina style bbq, at least for pork.

When I have potstickers, I always ask for vinegar, and liberally dose
the 'sticker with it. Brings the flavor right up, cuts through the
oil/grease.
Old January 19th 15, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/19/2015 3:09 PM, John McWilliams wrote:
[...]

I was in a bar in Nashville.I started a discussion about dry rub vs wet.
This led to a loud discussion. I left before it escalated and i heard
the police were called. In Nashville you can get both, and both sides
get, shall we say, passionate about it.

--
PeterN
Old January 19th 15, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PeterN" wrote in message
[...]

I've eaten in what is arguably the best dry-rub BBQ place - Charlie
Vergos' Rendezvous in Memphis. I was not impressed but I'm not a fan of
dry-rub. I like my BBQ with some sauce caramelized on it, not just
poured onto it after it's cooked.

Old January 19th 15, 09:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/19/2015 3:57 PM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
[...]

I like both, depending on my mood. But I do not like the sauce dripping.
I freely admit that any time I eat something with dripping sauce, my dry
cleaning bills go up.

--
PeterN