Finding restaurants

Old January 19th 15, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default Finding restaurants

On 1/19/2015 12:54 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

If I see a "Chinese" restaurant with table clothes and forks on the
table I don't go in.

if you see a chinese restaurant without chinese customers in it, don't
go in.

i unfortunately was dragged to one place where not even the staff was
chinese. needless to say, it was horrible.

when i was a kid, i went to a chinese restaurant where there were no
forks at all, even if you wanted one. you either used chopsticks or you
didn't eat. not surprisingly, the food was very good.

most chinese restaurants in the usa serve americanized crap. chinese
patrons will order stuff *not* on the menu.

We haave a lot of Chinese and other Asians here. There are some
restaurants that cater to both. We used to go to a Mandarin restaurant
where the owner would order for me. He never ordered somethiing bad, or
Americanized. There are many different styles of Chinese food. Our
favorites are Hong Kong Shanghai & Mandarin. I personally prefer
sichuan, but it's much too spicy for my wife's taste.

--
PeterN
Old January 19th 15, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/19/2015 12:54 PM, nospam wrote:
Savageduck wrote:

Local knowledge helps.

which you won't find in yelp or some tourist book or the flyers in a
hotel.

However, I have found out that one can get really good places by asking
the concierge. I don't ask for a straight recommendation. i usually ask
where you you eat on a special occassion. It worked well for me in
Marbella, Amsterdam, and Orlando.

--
PeterN
Old January 19th 15, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/19/2015 1:05 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 12:17:18 -0500, PeterN
wrote:

On 1/19/2015 10:43 AM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

McDonald's is not in anyway considered to be "good food" even in the USA.

However, it has clean bathrooms and surprisingly decent coffee.

At my age, restroom availability is essential on road trips. I'm less
concerned than my wife about clean restrooms because I don't need to
touch anything in the room.

Yup!

I usually stop in a McD's, use the restroom, buy coffee to go, and
continue the cycle. I average .5 restroom stops per gallon of gas.

Check your PSA.

When Our daughter was about 4, we would make a pit stop, but she would
insist she didn't have to. About five minutes after we left, ..... I'm
sure you know the story. I found a sinmple solution. I bought a cheap
portable camping toilet, with a bag. I told her the next time that
happened she would have to use it. I never had to even open the box. It
was sold at our gararge sale for $5, which was more than I paid for it.
Win. Win.;-)

in a small town I look for a Rotary club sign. It may not be the best,
but for a lunch it is usually passable.

That's a good tip. Never thought about it before. Visitors from
Boston might think a Rotary Club is place for people who like to drive
in circles, though.

--
PeterN
Old January 19th 15, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

If I see a "Chinese" restaurant with table clothes and forks on the
table I don't go in.

if you see a chinese restaurant without chinese customers in it, don't
go in.

Not a good rule in this area because there are few Chinese here.

then the chinese food there is probably not all that great.

Probably not at all authentic, but there are some very good Chinese
restaurants in the area. "Authentic" is not necessarily great, and
great is not necessarily authentic.

depends what you call good and i'm not talking about authentic.

It is true of the Vietnamese restaurants, though.

or cuban.

Visually, it's hard to tell a crowd of Puerto Ricans from a crowd of
Cubans. The women of both nationalities wouldn't be caught dead in
public not wearing stiletto heels.

i'm not talking about the people.

cuban food in florida is good, and something sandman should have done
rather than to go olive garden or taco bell.

i doubt there are very many cuban restaurants in sweden, if any.
Old January 19th 15, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 1/19/2015 12:17 PM, PAS wrote:
"PeterN" wrote in message
On 1/19/2015 10:14 AM, PAS wrote:

big brevity snip

Chinese food, or what passes for
Chinese food on the USA, wreaks havoc with my blood sugar levels
because
of the sauces - lots of sugar. I stay away from it now.

You have to get out of the East End. I agree there are no decent
authentic Chinese restaurants there.
While there is one near us, we prefer to go to Flushing, especially
for soup dumplings.
If I see a "Chinese" restaurant with table clothes and forks on the
table I don't go in.

Not likely to happen - my wife is not a fan of Chinese food and
rarely
will eat it. She loves Mexican, there is a small place in Eastport
called "El Rodeo" that is an authentic family-run Mexican restaurant.
I'm not too keen on Mexican food but, like most restaurants, I always
find something on the menu that I like.

As it is said: Happy wife, happy life.
fortunately my wife and I have similar taste in food. (Though not
100%)

Speaking of finding something I
like, my wife took me to Teller's in Islip to celebrate my 55th this
weekend. Their menu has a lot of great choices for me. There's
nothing
like a great steak and potatoes for me.

Happy B'Day.
I agree. Tellers is excellent. In that category, I have a personal
preference for Rothman's because it's close.

I loved Ben Benson's Steakhouse in Manhattan. It's sad that the
landlord forced him out and the restaurant closed after decades of
business.

Old January 19th 15, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 1/19/2015 1:24 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 12:54:26 -0500, nospam
wrote:

it's like trying to find new york pizza on the west coast. some
places
claim to offer it but they definitely do not. similarly, trying to
find
good chicago pizza outside of chicago won't result in much success.

I spent several years living in Chicago and was a regular at Uno's.
(Although I don't order the deep-dish style).

When Uno's opened a location here, I was delighted...until I tried
it.
Terrible. It didn't last long.

New Yorkers claim it's the water in the dough in pizza and bagels
that
make NY products good, but I'm not sure I buy that.

Well if the flour, yeastand attitude are the same, what's left?

The water only makes a difference in the dough.
IMHO this place made the only bagels I enjoyed in FL.
http://brooklynwaterbagels.com/

I know of several who wanted to ship NY water to FL for bagels, but
the shipment cost was crazy.

Many years ago, my first job was for a window and door manufacturer in
Hicksville. We had a small plant in Kansas City, MO. Anytime any of
traveled there on a business trip we had to bring two dozen bagels with
us. They had nothing like it there.

Old January 19th 15, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/19/2015 2:32 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

Google is your friend.
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Cuban+Restaurants&find_loc=Stockh olm

--
PeterN
Old January 19th 15, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

i have a friend who moved to Lake Quivera, just outside KC, who said the
same thing.

--
PeterN
Old January 19th 15, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"Tony Cooper" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 13:31:44 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

If I see a "Chinese" restaurant with table clothes and forks on
the
table I don't go in.

if you see a chinese restaurant without chinese customers in it,
don't
go in.

Not a good rule in this area because there are few Chinese here.

then the chinese food there is probably not all that great.

Probably not at all authentic, but there are some very good Chinese
restaurants in the area. "Authentic" is not necessarily great, and
great is not necessarily authentic.

It is true of the Vietnamese restaurants, though.

or cuban.

Visually, it's hard to tell a crowd of Puerto Ricans from a crowd of
Cubans. The women of both nationalities wouldn't be caught dead in
public not wearing stiletto heels.

Now that's funny!

Old January 19th 15, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

cuban food in florida is good, and something sandman should have done
rather than to go olive garden or taco bell.

i doubt there are very many cuban restaurants in sweden, if any.

Google is your friend.
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Cuban+Restaurants&find_loc=Stockh olm

2 is not very many and i doubt they're any good anyway.