Lens opinion

Old January 12th 15, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Lens opinion

I'm contemplating replacing my trusty D33 with A D750 and the question
arises as towhat I use as a basic carry around lens.

At the moment I'm using a Nikon 16-85/f2.8 with which I'm quite
satisfied but this is a DX lens and won't handle the switch to a FX
camera. I'm planning on keeping my 70-200/f2.8

I've considered three lenses, all Nikon:

24-70/f3.5

24-85/f3.5

24-120/f3.5

I have no experience with any of these lenses but from what I have
read I have homed in on the 24-85/f3.5. If the gun fight out in the
street can be calmed down and bashing and crashing in the car
parkeliminates the human drivers, I would be interested in the
thoughts of the few knowledgable people left standing.

Eric Stevens
Old January 12th 15, 04:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

I'm contemplating replacing my trusty D33 with A D750 and the question
arises as towhat I use as a basic carry around lens.

At the moment I'm using a Nikon 16-85/f2.8 with which I'm quite
satisfied but this is a DX lens and won't handle the switch to a FX
camera. I'm planning on keeping my 70-200/f2.8

I've considered three lenses, all Nikon:

24-70/f3.5

24-85/f3.5

24-120/f3.5

I have no experience with any of these lenses but from what I have
read I have homed in on the 24-85/f3.5. If the gun fight out in the
street can be calmed down and bashing and crashing in the car
parkeliminates the human drivers, I would be interested in the
thoughts of the few knowledgable people left standing.

Photozone has only tested your fav on FF but the others can be found in
the crop section.

http://www.photozone.de/nikon_ff
--
teleportation kills
Old January 12th 15, 05:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

I'm contemplating replacing my trusty D33 with A D750 and the question
arises as towhat I use as a basic carry around lens.

At the moment I'm using a Nikon 16-85/f2.8 with which I'm quite
satisfied but this is a DX lens and won't handle the switch to a FX
camera. I'm planning on keeping my 70-200/f2.8

I've considered three lenses, all Nikon:

24-70/f3.5

24-85/f3.5

24-120/f3.5

I have no experience with any of these lenses but from what I have
read I have homed in on the 24-85/f3.5. If the gun fight out in the
street can be calmed down and bashing and crashing in the car
parkeliminates the human drivers, I would be interested in the
thoughts of the few knowledgable people left standing.

If you're talking about mostly carrying one lens, which you seem to
be, why not go with the longest reach, for the most flexibility? As
long as the reviews show that the 24-120 has the desired optical
performance, it would seem to be the best choice. I think the only
other options would be something faster, or something with an even
wider range, but you don't list anything like that.

And this is meant more as a question than advice.
Old January 12th 15, 05:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

[...]

Edit: I couldn't find the first one in crop either.
--
teleportation kills
http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography
Old January 12th 15, 05:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-01-12 00:04:14 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

I'm contemplating replacing my trusty D33 with A D750 and the question
arises as towhat I use as a basic carry around lens.

At the moment I'm using a Nikon 16-85/f2.8 with which I'm quite
satisfied but this is a DX lens and won't handle the switch to a FX
camera. I'm planning on keeping my 70-200/f2.8

I've considered three lenses, all Nikon:

24-70/f3.5

24-85/f3.5

24-120/f3.5

I have no experience with any of these lenses but from what I have
read I have homed in on the 24-85/f3.5. If the gun fight out in the
street can be calmed down and bashing and crashing in the car
parkeliminates the human drivers, I would be interested in the
thoughts of the few knowledgable people left standing.

I would consider the 24-120mm f/4 as a general walk-around lens for a
FF Nikon. All three start out at 24mm, but the 24-120mm f/4 gives you
just enough extra reach if you need it. At f/4 it is pretty fast and
has the high end nano crystal coating, and has VRII.

I don't know of a 24-70mm f/3.5, but I am familiar with the 24-70mm
f/2.8, which is one of the Nikkor Holy Trinity of f/2.8 lenses. If you
want a sharp, fast, normal, mid-range zoom look no further than the
24-70mm f/2.8. It does not have VR, but it doesn't really need it, and
it is not cheap.

Also the 24-85mm is actually f/3.5-4.5, which is not what your f/3.6 implies.

So for value and versatility my vote goes to the 24-120 f/4 VRII.

Savageduck

Old January 12th 15, 06:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Eric Stevens wrote:
I'm contemplating replacing my trusty D33 with A D750 and the question
arises as towhat I use as a basic carry around lens.

At the moment I'm using a Nikon 16-85/f2.8 with which I'm quite
satisfied but this is a DX lens and won't handle the switch to a FX
camera. I'm planning on keeping my 70-200/f2.8

I've considered three lenses, all Nikon:

24-70/f3.5

Maybe the 24-70mm f/2.8 ?? This is a professional grade
lens that has a very good reputation for its optical
quality. It has a distinct disadvantage as a walk
around lens in both its intimidating size and its
weight, not to mention only going out to 70mm.

Seriously one might consider the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8
instead! At a lower price it actually out performs the
Nikkor lens.

24-85/f3.5

The 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 is a consumer grade lens. That
means the price is lower, and so is the build and
optical quality.

24-120/f3.5

The 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 is the older version of the
24-120mm, and is considered as perhaps the poorest lens
ever produced by Nikon.

It was replaced in 2010 with the now current 24-120mm
f/4, which is one of only two (the other is the
80-400mm) professional quality zooms made my Nikon with
a 5x zoom range. Both are just as one would expect
given the zoom range, just barely able to meet normal
professional quality optical performance. They
definitely have professional quality build though.

I have no experience with any of these lenses but from what I have
read I have homed in on the 24-85/f3.5. If the gun fight out in the
street can be calmed down and bashing and crashing in the car
parkeliminates the human drivers, I would be interested in the
thoughts of the few knowledgable people left standing.

If the consumer grade quality doesn't phase you, and you
can live with a walk around lens that stops at 85mm, go
for it. It costs half the price of doing it right.

The right lens is the 24-120mm f/4. It has greater
reach, has better build, and has at least passing
optical quality (it has been on everyone's "good enough
for the D800" list).

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old January 12th 15, 08:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 21:09:19 -0800, Bill W

Eric Stevens wrote:

[...]

I,m not after a do-everything walk-around lens. I want a *good* lens
to fill the gap below the 70-200. My revised current thinking is that
the 24-70 may be the way to go. But thoughts change.

Eric Stevens
Old January 12th 15, 08:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 06:13:44 +0100, android wrote:

In article ,
Eric Stevens wrote:

[...]

Neither could I.

Eric Stevens
Old January 12th 15, 08:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015 21:22:45 -0900, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
I'm contemplating replacing my trusty D33 with A D750 and the question
arises as towhat I use as a basic carry around lens.

At the moment I'm using a Nikon 16-85/f2.8 with which I'm quite
satisfied but this is a DX lens and won't handle the switch to a FX
camera. I'm planning on keeping my 70-200/f2.8

I've considered three lenses, all Nikon:

24-70/f3.5

Maybe the 24-70mm f/2.8 ?? This is a professional grade
lens that has a very good reputation for its optical
quality. It has a distinct disadvantage as a walk
around lens in both its intimidating size and its
weight, not to mention only going out to 70mm.

Seriously one might consider the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8
instead! At a lower price it actually out performs the
Nikkor lens.

Now that's athought. I will follow it up. I have a soft spot for
Tamron.

[...]

Ah, but is it good enough for the D750? I dunno (yet).

Eric Stevens
Old January 12th 15, 10:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

I'm contemplating replacing my trusty D33 with A D750 and the
question arises as towhat I use as a basic carry around lens.

At the moment I'm using a Nikon 16-85/f2.8 with which I'm quite
satisfied but this is a DX lens and won't handle the switch to a FX
camera. I'm planning on keeping my 70-200/f2.8

I've considered three lenses, all Nikon:

24-70/f3.5

24-85/f3.5

24-120/f3.5

24-120/f4 is the one you should get. Great quality and it's f4 throughout
the entire range, not 3.5-5.6 as the one above. So you have a steady
aperture throughout, and great quality glass.

--
Sandman[.net]