Digital Picture Frames

Old January 23rd 15, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael Black[_2_]

Default Digital Picture Frames

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015, Tony Cooper wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jan 2015 23:02:07 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

I've only seen one digital picture frame in use. Frankly
I just thought it looked ridiculous. The family who owned
it kept it on a table in the living room and they'd turn it
on whenever they were home. If no one is in the room
looking at it there's no reason to shuffle images. If one
is looking at it there's no reason to shuffle images. I'd
rather choose which image to look at and for how long.
As someone once said about phone sex: at first it seems
like a clever idea, but then.... it really just doesn't work.

We have one. It was a Christmas gift to me a few years ago. It's
normally unplugged, but on special occasions - Christmas,
Thanksgiving, birthdays - I re-load the SD card and turn it on for the
day. I re-load the card with the same day's events that took place in
previous years. It does trigger memories of times past.

I got one at a garage sale 3 or 4 years ago, for five or ten dollars.
Seemed like it would be useful, but then I got a tablet, and my reason for
buying the frame was gone. I wasn't planning to hang the frame up, just
use it to view photos away from the computer. Since I have two tablets
now, and can display photos via my blu-ray player and tv set, the frame
just sits there. The only time it's been on was when I brought it home,
me wanting to make sure it worked.

My sister got my mother one earlier than that, which never saw any use
either. The idea is good, but somehow it just didn't take off. I see
them a lot less in flyers, so either few are buying them, or they no
longer are being made.

Michael

Old January 26th 15, 10:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 15:44:01 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

Late last year I started to sift my entire collection of digital
images in a search for a particular print project I had in mind. At
the moment I have about 400 candidates which is far too many for
printing. It has occurred to me that a digital picture frame may be a
suitable answer.

My last experience of digital frames was in the days when they were
relatively new and I was not left with a good impression. They would
not hold many images. Nor could they access much memory from a USB
memory stick if one was plugged in. Above all, they were shortlived.
Each one died after only a few months.

My question is, are they any better now? If any one has any recent
experience, good, bad or indifferent, I would like to know what it
was.

I'm looking for a 10"~12" screen with a good dynamic range and a
colour gamut at least as large as sRGB. Is there such a thing?

Now that all the shouting and the tumult has died and ... whatever -
I have decided that the best way is probably going to be a Chromebook
of some kind with a good display. Compared with buying an Apple, or
the same thing with Windows, these things are cheap! In fact, about
what I thought I would have to pay for a good digital picture frame.

I don't think I would have thought of that without the prodding from
the audience. Thank you.

Eric Stevens