aircraft identification

Old January 19th 15, 03:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default aircraft identification

On 2015-01-19 02:19:05 +0000, PeterN said:

On 2015-01-17 16:03:18 +0000, philo said:

My uncle was in Photo Intelligence over France during WW-II
he gave me some photos taken from the plane he was on.

I misplaced them and have been searching for two years and finally
found one of them

http://images2.snapfish.com/23232323... 632%3Anu0mrj

Those

are

B-24's aren't they???

Yup! Those are B-24's.

I was in ADA during the 60's and 70's but these are from before my time

Here is one of the very few currently airworthy B-24's; "The Dragon and
Its Tail"
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/TDAIT-W.jpg

Nice. Was there an interlock to prevent the top turret gunner from
shooting the tail?

Here is a link my mom sent me

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/unit...ent_Group.html

That tells a whole bunch more about your uncle’s service. The 44th was
a bombardment Group, not a Photo/Recon Group, though he might have been
designated to photography duties to record bomb damage for assessment.
The 44th was involved in some of the most important raids of the War,
not the least of which were the low level raids on the Ploesti
oilfields/refineries. Also they suffered one of the highest loss &
casualty rates of any US aerial combat unit in the ETO.

That was interesting. I couldn't help but notice a gap in the aircraft
timeline.
"Aircraft

January 1941-April 1945: Consolidated B-24 Liberator
August 1945-July 1946: Boeing B-29 Super Fortress"

Was that due to movement to the Pacific theater, and some well deserved R&R?

The 44th flew their last WWII combat missions in April 1944 and they
moved back to the USA. It was there they converted to B-29’s,
ultimately being based in Sioux Falls N.Dakota and finally at Great
Bend AAF Base in Kansas before being inactivated in July 1946. Remember
this was when the USAAF was coming to an end with the US Air Force
about to be constituted in 1947. The 44th never served in the PTO, that
war was over and done by the end of August 1945.

Savageduck

Old January 19th 15, 03:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-01-17 16:03:18 +0000, philo said:

[...]

One more link

http://www.8thairforce.com/44thbg/8b...ing%201996.pdf

My

uncle was listed as : Photo Interpretor and Radar Officer

It is always good to revisit what our parents and family members did
back in rhw War. They were undoubtably the Greatest generation.

As most here know, my father served in the South-West Pacific, New
Guinea, Bismarck Archipelago, Borneo, Philippines (Leyte & Linguyan),
Okinawa, and finally flew escort for the Japanese surrender envoys. He
flew two tours in the 9th fighter Squadron of the 49th Fighter Group,
5th AF in P-47's & P-38's.

At Dobodura New Guinea 1943 on his P-47D "BigAsBurd".
https://db.tt/17ViYIJ7
....and Biak Island 1944 in a P-38L.
https://db.tt/uHYaWaFm

and with the 9th Fighter Squadron at Biak 1944.
https://db.tt/9J5czSaG

He is still with us and is going to be 92 in July.

Savageduck

Old January 19th 15, 12:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 01/18/2015 09:50 PM, Savageduck wrote:

[...]

Great to hear that your father is still "with us".

I lost my dad a long time ago.

He served on a mine detector in the Pacific and was among the first of
the troops to go into Nagasaki after the bombing.

His stories are crystal clear in my mind.

Old January 19th 15, 12:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 2015-01-17 16:03:18 +0000, philo said:

[...]

Yep. A lot of things I never knew.

My mom has been doing extensive family history studies and is going to
get me more info.

Old January 19th 15, 05:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2015-01-17 16:03:18 +0000, philo said:

[...]

Hope so for many years. It would be neat if if broke the record in my
family. Had a great uncle who lived to 112. At the time of his death his
youngest was 37. He outlived his first two wives.

--
PeterN
Old January 19th 15, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2015-01-17 16:03:18 +0000, philo said:

[...]

If we had an X day, who knows what would have happened.

--
PeterN
Old January 19th 15, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-01-17 16:03:18 +0000, philo said:

[...]

On my father's side of the family he is the oldest survivor. My 92 year
old uncle died last year leaving my father as the last of four
brothers. My Grandfather made it to 68.
My Grandfather and my father when he was home between combat tours in 1944.
https://db.tt/wpaGsnLK

On my mother's side of the family we had my English Great-grandmother
who made it to 114, she slipped on ice, broke a hip and lasted another
two weeks before pneumonia finished her off.

Savageduck