Depth of field - two of them?

Old February 8th 19, 02:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Depth of field - two of them?

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 05:28:11 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 6 February 2019 03:53:54 UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 04:54:20 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Monday, 4 February 2019 23:15:32 UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 03 Feb 2019 18:56:23 -0500, nospam
wrote:

what makes it clumsy and slow is how *you* choose to do it and other
things. that's *your* doing, not a flaw in the ipad.

It's slow because it relies on a wifi link. My desktop is many times
faster.

then you have a slow wifi link this is not a fault of the ipad.

Who said I thought it was.

Well you haven't come up with any other solution that seems viable in the real world to why yuor ipad and desktop are showing difernt speeds.

I've already mentioned wifi. There is competition from two
neighbouring houses plus the attenuation caused by the structure of my
own house, acording to where it might be.

what are yuo using to test.
Are you using 2G or 5G or anyhting else on the iPad that's the options I have in the UK, it could be differnt in the US.

I'm betting my iphone7 is faster on wifi than your desktop is, wanna do sone tests, but I'd suggest that would be a bit unfair due to servers and location.

I don't spend all day carrying out speed tests. It's the overall
combination of touch screen vs keyboard and the user interface
provided by the software.

You don't seem to have done any sort of testing, if I found 2 devices that had such differing network speeds that I didnlt understand I'd want to find out why.
I've had speeds on my iPad of over 180MB download.
My desktop Macs can be faster but only if using a wired cable.

I AM using a wired cable. T1000 hooked up to highspeed glass fibre.
Only the iPad has to use wifi.

It's merely a factor coloring my view of
it's use.

colouring is that like using PS to alter your image ?, or is it when you wear rose tinted glasses.

It's nospam who is seeing my comment as an attack directed
at Apple.

You did seem to direct it towards the iPad .

It's the only tablet I own.

It's slow because it relies on a wifi link. My desktop is many times
faster.

So did you compare yuor desktop wifi and the ipad wifi. ?

The desk top was on wifi. The speeds were comparable with those on the
iPad but I still found the user experience more desirable on the desk
top.

wifi is almost always slower than an ethernet cable.

I know.

Eric Stevens
Old February 8th 19, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Upload
speeds are about 25% of the upload speeds.

they should be the same.

In my case they are throttled.

bull****. there is *no* throttling on the ipad.

You bloody idiot! Who said anything about the iPad doing the
throttling? It's done by the ISP. That, and the iPad is also throttled
by the WiFi.

the isp has no idea you're using an ipad.

if the isp is throttling at all, then it will affect your desktop too.

you claimed the ipad is slower than the desktop, about 25% as fast,
which means the throttling is *not* your isp.

if it was, *both* would be affected and both would be the same speed.

since one is faster than the other, the difference is *internal* to
your lan.

But it is a factor in why I don't like using it for applications such
as Google.

nonsense, and it's already been established that the google application
is garbage. do not use.

Then how else do I search Google/

browser, like everyone else.

the question is why aren't you interested in fixing the problems?

Because by going upstairs I can get a keyboard, a mouse and two 25"
screens, all connected via a powerful desktop via a T1000 connection
to highspeed fibre. You are bonkers if you think that an iPad on wifi
can beat that.

i'm assuming a 't1000 connection to highspeed fibre' is gigabit.

you aren't coming anywhere close to saturating that with a google
search, no matter what device you use, so that doesn't actually matter.
Old February 8th 19, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

what i take issue with is that you're blaming the device when it's not
the device at all.

The device contains the user interface at the end of a long pipe line.
It isn't connected by ethernet to a highspeed fibre but relies on
wifi.

802.11ac wifi is faster than your high speed fibre link, with 802.11ax
routers starting to appear.

the limiting factor are gigabit lans (isp is irrelevant), which is why
some new routers have 10g-e.

and that doesn't actually matter anyway, since searching in no way will
saturate a gigabit isp connection.

It has a small screen so can't easily run more than one graphic
page at a time.

it absolutely can.

https://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-c...9/iOS-11-iPAd-
Pro-multitasking.png

It has no physical keyboard but relies on the
simulation of one via a touch screen.

both usb and bluetooth keyboards work without issue, and the onscreen
keyboard is in no way a simulation.

It has no mouse and requires
various gestures on the screen, both singly and in combination, to
achieve would would be done by a mouse on a desktop.

that's called direct manipulation, which makes it a lot more powerful
for many tasks.

For these various
reaons it does not use the same front-end applications as a desk top.

no, that's not why.

For many applicatoins I find the experience of using an iPad (or any
other tablet) to slower, clumsier and less pleasant than doing them on
a desk top.

and for others, it's much better.

searching is essentially the same on either one.

in this case, it happens to be an ipad, but my reaction would be the
same if it was an android device.

you are blaming everything other than yourself for your own inability
to do something, and worse, refusing to learn how to improve it.

You really are an idiot.

ad hominem.

i'm not the one having trouble.

you aren't interested in improving anything.
Old February 8th 19, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

what makes it clumsy and slow is how *you* choose to do it and other
things. that's *your* doing, not a flaw in the ipad.

It's slow because it relies on a wifi link. My desktop is many times
faster.

then you have a slow wifi link this is not a fault of the ipad.

Who said I thought it was.

you did.

It's merely a factor coloring my view of
it's use. It's nospam who is seeing my comment as an attack directed
at Apple.

nope.

the speed of your wifi link has nothing to do with apple.

the problem is a misconfigured network and/or obsolete networking gear.

https://support.netcommwireless.com/...User-Guide.pdf

exactly as i said, obsolete networking gear, frighteningly so.

that router supports up to 802.11n, which is a decade old and nowhere
near as fast as 802.11ac or ax. it makes no mention of mimo, so it's
quite likely slower than a typical 802.11n router.

802.11ac is the current standard, which can transfer *faster* than
gigabit speeds. the problem is that it's normally used on a gigabit lan
which then becomes the bottleneck.

faster 802.11ax routers are starting to appear, but those will need to
be used on a 10gig-e lan for a noticeable speed difference (there are
some other benefits though).
Old February 8th 19, 09:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 07 Feb 2019 23:12:11 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Upload
speeds are about 25% of the upload speeds.

they should be the same.

In my case they are throttled.

bull****. there is *no* throttling on the ipad.

You bloody idiot! Who said anything about the iPad doing the
throttling? It's done by the ISP. That, and the iPad is also throttled
by the WiFi.

the isp has no idea you're using an ipad.

The ISP is not throttling just the iPad. They are throttling
everything.

if the isp is throttling at all, then it will affect your desktop too.

Yes it is, and we have already discussed that. Remember?

Eric Stevens
Upload
speeds are about 25% of the upload speeds.

nospam
they should be the same.

Eric Stevens
In my case they are throttled.

you claimed the ipad is slower than the desktop, about 25% as fast,
which means the throttling is *not* your isp.

if it was, *both* would be affected and both would be the same speed.

since one is faster than the other, the difference is *internal* to
your lan.

The iPad employs wifi while the desktop is hard wired.

But it is a factor in why I don't like using it for applications such
as Google.

nonsense, and it's already been established that the google application
is garbage. do not use.

Then how else do I search Google/

browser, like everyone else.

It makes no significant difference.

the question is why aren't you interested in fixing the problems?

Because by going upstairs I can get a keyboard, a mouse and two 25"
screens, all connected via a powerful desktop via a T1000 connection
to highspeed fibre. You are bonkers if you think that an iPad on wifi
can beat that.

i'm assuming a 't1000 connection to highspeed fibre' is gigabit.

Yep.

you aren't coming anywhere close to saturating that with a google
search, no matter what device you use, so that doesn't actually matter.

I keep telling you: it's not just the speed, it's the entire
interface.

Just go away. Comprehension is beyond you.

Eric Stevens
Old February 8th 19, 09:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 07 Feb 2019 23:12:12 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

what i take issue with is that you're blaming the device when it's not
the device at all.

The device contains the user interface at the end of a long pipe line.
It isn't connected by ethernet to a highspeed fibre but relies on
wifi.

802.11ac wifi is faster than your high speed fibre link, with 802.11ax
routers starting to appear.

Where do you think my wifi signal comes from?

the limiting factor are gigabit lans (isp is irrelevant), which is why
some new routers have 10g-e.

and that doesn't actually matter anyway, since searching in no way will
saturate a gigabit isp connection.

It's the hit a key and wait while it sends it to Google and then
Google sends back a response. Then hit another key etc. Pages swap
backwards and forward. Just getting an intelligible first response
from Google on first connecting takes about 10 seconds. It's quicker
after that but one screen at a time ...

It has a small screen so can't easily run more than one graphic
page at a time.

it absolutely can.

Not big enough to contain useful blocks of information.

https://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/iOS-11-iPAd-Pro-multitasking.png

It says something that you think that standard of display is enough
for a serious search.

It has no physical keyboard but relies on the
simulation of one via a touch screen.

both usb and bluetooth keyboards work without issue, and the onscreen
keyboard is in no way a simulation.

OK. A tablet is easier to use if you buy it a keyboard. That's my
point. Without a keyboard it is less convenient.

It has no mouse and requires
various gestures on the screen, both singly and in combination, to
achieve would would be done by a mouse on a desktop.

that's called direct manipulation, which makes it a lot more powerful
for many tasks.

Most of which are of little use to me.

For these various
reaons it does not use the same front-end applications as a desk top.

no, that's not why.

For many applicatoins I find the experience of using an iPad (or any
other tablet) to slower, clumsier and less pleasant than doing them on
a desk top.

and for others, it's much better.

searching is essentially the same on either one.

in this case, it happens to be an ipad, but my reaction would be the
same if it was an android device.

you are blaming everything other than yourself for your own inability
to do something, and worse, refusing to learn how to improve it.

You really are an idiot.

ad hominem.

i'm not the one having trouble.

you aren't interested in improving anything.

Oh yes I am. I would very much like to improve the tablet experience.
But you don't seem to be able to identify any areas for improvement.

I'm abandoning this discussion at this point.

Eric Stevens
Old February 8th 19, 09:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 07 Feb 2019 23:12:14 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

As does throttled HS Fibre.

Old February 8th 19, 09:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_7_]

On 08/02/2019 04:12, nospam wrote:
both usb and bluetooth keyboards work without issue,

Can I use my iMac Bluetooth Keypad to control my iPad?

If that is possible, please advise HOW that may be achieved.

--
David B.
Old February 8th 19, 09:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_7_]

On 08/02/2019 09:31, Eric Stevens wrote:
I would very much like to improve the tablet experience.

May I suggest that you reset your iPad to 'factory conditions'?

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to...phone-3296944/

Just a thought. I've had to do this to improve performance.

--
David B.
Old February 8th 19, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Upload
speeds are about 25% of the upload speeds.

they should be the same.

In my case they are throttled.

bull****. there is *no* throttling on the ipad.

You bloody idiot! Who said anything about the iPad doing the
throttling? It's done by the ISP. That, and the iPad is also throttled
by the WiFi.

the isp has no idea you're using an ipad.

The ISP is not throttling just the iPad. They are throttling
everything.

that's the whole point.

you claimed the ipad is slower than the desktop, about 25% as fast,
which means the throttling is *not* your isp.

if it was, *both* would be affected and both would be the same speed.

since one is faster than the other, the difference is *internal* to
your lan.

The iPad employs wifi while the desktop is hard wired.

so what?

wifi can be faster than wired gigabit.

*your* hardware is old and outdated. that's *your* issue, not an
overall ipad wifi issue.

But it is a factor in why I don't like using it for applications such
as Google.

nonsense, and it's already been established that the google application
is garbage. do not use.

Then how else do I search Google/

browser, like everyone else.

It makes no significant difference.

it absolutely does, and you even admitted that.

you aren't coming anywhere close to saturating that with a google
search, no matter what device you use, so that doesn't actually matter.

I keep telling you: it's not just the speed, it's the entire
interface.

nope, because others aren't having the same bad experiences as you are.

Just go away. Comprehension is beyond you.

that describes you.